Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Woo hoo! Got our L1 & L2 Visas, I think...

Woo hoo! Got our L1 & L2 Visas, I think...

Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:42 am
On The Brink

S_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to all
Default Woo hoo! Got our L1 & L2 Visas, I think...

Hey everyone, got some news and want to share
Headed out super early this morning. Made our way to Goulds, dropped off phones (£3 for both), joined the embassy queue and made our way through security. We were number 45 so after about 15 mins we were called up to give our fingerprints and hand in our forms.
Thirty minutes later we were called up for the interview, after all the stress getting ready it only took about three minutes, asking; have you got a degree & what subject did you take, then what will you be doing in the States? My other half was then sent over to pay their issuance fee while I made small talk with the interviewer about the weather and traffic. Once payment was made, the interviewee said "that's it, you're all done" and smiled. So we headed off with our courier forms to join another queue.
Five minutes later and we were stood outside ready to celebrate ... But, erm, since whe didn't say the words "you're approved", should we think we were successful or should we wait the until our passports are returned before we jump into packing up our UK lives with gusto?
I know most of you have been though this already or will do it someday so I wanted to clarify!
Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:24 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Woo hoo! Got our L1 & L2 Visas, I think...

You're good Congratulations!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Bev Sloan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great made it sound easy! Can I just ask what is Goulds? I did a quick google and seems it is pharmacy. can you leave your phones and car fobs there? Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

Goulds is a pharmacy yes...they offer a storage service for carkey fobs, phones and electronics and stuff....when i was at the embassy back in january 2010 i also was able to leave my backpack at goulds
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Bev Sloan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks thats a great help knowing there is a place to leave the car keys
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:27 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bev Sloan
Thanks thats a great help knowing there is a place to leave the car keys
I believe they also do the photos you need (if you were dumb enough not to get them done in advance, or to have photos that were over 6 months old...! ahem...)
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - you are good to go - you should have the passports inside the week - we had our interview on the Monday, and the passports were put in my hand by the courier on the Thursday - 4 days total!!

I'm sure there are plenty here who will recommend packers and suggest plenty of do's & don'ts!

We were packed & moved by GB Liners, under contract from a US outfit who were engaged by my US employer. GB Liners were absolutely excellent - truly. Very careful and respectful of your belongings, very knowledgeable about packing for a long sea trip - for us that included the tropics as our container went through the Panama Canal and then up to California and in via Longbeach - 5 weeks roughly at sea apparently, with about 3.5-4 of those in warmer conditions...

Anything electrical you'd like to keep and that is rated for 110-240 V - take it with you. Forget your TV unless you also use it for other things.

Sell as much as you can of what you're not taking - it's amazing just how many things you'll find you have to stump up the readies for, and weren't expecting to... and how much you have to stump up - we gave a lot of stuff away to friends & family, but wish in hindsight we'd sold more of it - a few extra $ thousand would have made life a little easier to start, but it wasn't a disaster!

Good luck!

Cheers

HTS