British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wondering (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wondering-682438/)

Duncan Roberts Aug 23rd 2010 5:01 pm

Wondering

Why do so many people think they have to fill out ESTA when they have a visa even after they acknowledge ESTA is for the VWP?

rebs Aug 23rd 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Wondering

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8797128)
Why do so many people think they have to fill out ESTA when they have a visa even after they acknowledge ESTA is for the VWP?

My guess is that some people don't really know, or don't stop to think what 'waiver' actually means... so don't really know the difference between travelling with or without a visa...

WARPed Aug 23rd 2010 8:09 pm

This is the perfect opening for a question I have. :)

I have a Green Card and will be going home for a holiday in October for the first time since I became a Perm Resident. Do I need to make any special provisions or fill out any special forms? When I come back to the US can I just walk up to US immigration control and pop my green card and British passport on the desk?

Bob Aug 23rd 2010 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 8797580)

I have a Green Card and will be going home for a holiday in October for the first time since I became a Perm Resident. Do I need to make any special provisions or fill out any special forms? When I come back to the US can I just walk up to US immigration control and pop my green card and British passport on the desk?

Usual customs form...and be prepaired to be greeted by the usual dour monkeys and if you've brought over any Oxo etc, to bend off and walk stiffly for a few days.

meauxna Aug 23rd 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 8797580)

You will get to use the US resident's line, often the same as the USC line.
No I-94 for you, just as you describe: Your Green Card + British passport. They might ask you how long you've been gone (just testing!) and depending on the airport, you might have to give a fingerprint.

WARPed Aug 23rd 2010 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8797686)
Usual customs form...and be prepaired to be greeted by the usual dour monkeys and if you've brought over any Oxo etc, to bend off and walk stiffly for a few days.

:rofl: My Mum & Dad used to bring OXO and Bovril out for me until I found a thread on here saying they were restricted meat products. They still insist that they want to bring them saying they never had a problem before. I keep warning them that if they try they could end up walking like John Wayne for the duration of their trip! :)

WARPed Aug 23rd 2010 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8797826)
You will get to use the US resident's line, often the same as the USC line.
No I-94 for you, just as you describe: Your Green Card + British passport. They might ask you how long you've been gone (just testing!) and depending on the airport, you might have to give a fingerprint.

My conditional GC expires at the end of Jan 2011. I will be applying to remove the conditions not long after I return from the UK (following the 90 days before rule). I trust this shouldn't be a problem when I re-enter.

meauxna Aug 23rd 2010 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 8797835)
My conditional GC expires at the end of Jan 2011. I will be applying to remove the conditions not long after I return from the UK (following the 90 days before rule). I trust this shouldn't be a problem when I re-enter.

It shouldn't be a problem, no.
After you put your I-751 in, you'll get a receipt notice extending the validity of your green card for a further 12 months while they're working on your case. You can then travel with the expired card + the receipt letter (bonus info not related to your actual question :D).

ChocolateBabz Aug 23rd 2010 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8797128)

Not long after ESTA was introduced hubby had a long "discussion" with a check in girl about why he did not need ESTA as he had a Visa - at the end of which she told him that he could board but he might get refused entry once he got stateside - ah the joys of flying !

WARPed Aug 24th 2010 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8797839)
It shouldn't be a problem, no.
After you put your I-751 in, you'll get a receipt notice extending the validity of your green card for a further 12 months while they're working on your case. You can then travel with the expired card + the receipt letter (bonus info not related to your actual question :D).

Thanks. It is good to know. :)

exvj Aug 24th 2010 9:54 pm

Just have to watch for which line to go in too

At Seattle I used to go into Citizens and residents

now I have to go in with 'visitors' and the quick line says 'Canadian and US citizens'

Canadians don't even pay US tax like me and they get a quick line !

I think the arrangements vary so you just have to look for the signs.