British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wonderful places to stay from NYC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wonderful-places-stay-nyc-244665/)

britchicknyc Jul 27th 2004 6:24 pm

Wonderful places to stay from NYC

I would love some suggestions of lovely hotel or B & B's to stay within reach of NYC. My husband and I are looking for a relaxing weekend getaway.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks!:)

Rete Jul 27th 2004 7:32 pm

Re: Wonderful places to stay from NYC

Originally posted by britchicknyc
I would love some suggestions of lovely hotel or B & B's to stay within reach of NYC. My husband and I are looking for a relaxing weekend getaway.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks!:)

When you specify within reach of NYC is that so that you could sightsee in Manhattan? If so do you want something that will allow you to take public transportation into the city or to drive?

You might want to do a search for B&Bs on Long Island. At this time of the year it will be pricey as the Island is the place to be for sun, sand and partying.

Mid or Upper Westchester County has several lovely B&B's from what I see monthly in the Hudson Valley magazine that I subscribe to. Check for ones around the Metro North train line, i.e. Garrison, Cold Springs, Croton-on-Hudson.

Here is the HVM URL:

http://www.hudsonvalleymagazine.com/...ers_list.shtml

Or check out the Thayer Inn at West Point. A lovely hotel with a great restaurant and they often offer package deals for weekends. Beautiful view of the Hudson at this point of the River. It was the main point of defense by the Americans against the British during the Revolution. Ooops perhaps that might not be of interest to you ;-)

Also you are close to Bear Mountain (a New York State Park) which has a good hiking trail and a nice restaurant.

Rete

britchicknyc Jul 27th 2004 7:43 pm

Thank you - I'll definately take a look. I am looking to escape NYC! Most accommodation on Long Island is over priced, plus I live there, so I would like to get a little further afield.

Rete Jul 27th 2004 7:46 pm

Thank you - I'll definately take a look. I am looking to escape NYC! Most accommodation on Long Island is over priced, plus I live there, so I would like to get a little further afield.

You can check to see if the new owners have opened the Bird and Bottle Inn in Cold Springs, NY. It is also along the Hudson but on the NYC side as opposed to the NJ side for the Thayer Inn

Rete

britchicknyc Jul 27th 2004 7:47 pm

The Thayer looks gorgeous!

Rete Jul 27th 2004 8:03 pm

I know. I'm been there for formal military occasions with my husband who is a Captain in the New York State Guard.

You might also want to check out Block Island, Rhode Island. You can take the ferry from Long Island to BI. With the exception of one hotel all accommodations there are B&B's. We spent our honeymoon there six years ago.

If you don't mind a drive there is also the option of driving to the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts. To get to Pittsfield, MA is only 2 hours from the Bronx/Westchester border via the Taconia Parkway. From Pittsfield it is only about 20 minutes to Lenox and Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Philamonic. They hold concerts almost daily and always on weekends where you can either listen from the "lawn" or try and get inside seating.

We just came back from a week at Lake Seneca (one of the Finger Lakes) in New York State. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive for us but what a beautiful area of the State and great wines, too.

Rete

mattbutt Jul 27th 2004 8:38 pm

You could try lake george, about an hour the otherside of Albany, or the Delaware water Gap in PA, about an hour and a half from the GWB on route 80, Jim Thorpe is a little further and is a nice little town, you can go rafting walking and cycling on the Leigh River.

Or....if you are really stuck for ideas....the Jersey Shore.

britchicknyc Jul 28th 2004 2:49 am

But had awful reviews on www.tripadvisor.com !