Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Witholding Of Removal

Witholding Of Removal

Old Aug 28th 2002, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

LUZAVELLANEDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Witholding Of Removal

Is there any way to get the Green Card after being granted Witholding of Removal, or does the person have to wait 10 years to request the cancellation of deportation?

Thank you.
Old Aug 29th 2002, 2:01 am
LeightonJ

Cool Re: Witholding Of Removal

hi my name is j what is the reason why the ins is removeing you from the country.i was here for 17years and i am illgel aline in the us,and i am married to a usc and my lawyer said if i file ins will remove my from the country.and i am waiting for 245i so i can pay a $1000.00 fine to stay.my question is why are ypu geting removerfrom the country.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Witholding Of Removal

Originally posted by LeightonJ:
hi my name is j what is the reason why the ins is removeing you from the country.i was here for 17years and i am illgel aline in the us,and i am married to a usc and my lawyer said if i file ins will remove my from the country.and i am waiting for 245i so i can pay a $1000.00 fine to stay.my question is why are ypu geting removerfrom the country.
Were you legal when you entered the US 17 years ago. If so and you are married to a USC, then you can file for AOS without the fine
Old Aug 29th 2002, 6:29 pm
LeightonJ

Unhappy Re: Witholding Of Removal

my mother paid someone to bring me to the us illegal.i was only 3 years old.i went to school here.i gat my high school diploma,certificate to do us income taxes.my lawyer told me that i am between a hard place.my lawyer said that i am lucky that ins didnt find out all this years.but you never answer my question why are u being removed.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

I am not being removed. I applied for political asylum, but I did it after a year of being here. One of the asylum rules is to apply within a year, therefore, I was granted witholding of removal, wich is very similar to the political asylum with the only difference that I can not apply for permanent residence. They are not going to remove me because I am legal right now I have my work permission and they are going to renew it every year. My problem is that with witholding of removal I can not apply for permanent residence and I would like to find the way to do it because I want to travel abroad and in this way I cannot do it.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 2:41 am
Matt

find a good company , get a job and after a while ask them to get you a work visa .
After that you apply for PR based on work, all this assuming you have enough
qualifications for this type of process.

"LUZAVELLANEDA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am not being removed. I applied for political asylum, but I did it after a year
    > of being here. One of the asylum rules is to apply within a year, therefore, I was
    > granted witholding of removal, wich is very similar to the political asylum with
    > the only difference that I can not apply for permanent residence. They are not
    > going to remove me because I am legal right now I have my work permission and they
    > are going to renew it every year. My problem is that with witholding of removal I
    > can not apply for permanent residence and I would like to find the way to do it
    > because I want to travel abroad and in this way I cannot do it.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LeightonJ:
my mother paid someone to bring me to the us illegal.i was only 3 years old.i went to school here.i gat my high school diploma,certificate to do us income taxes.my lawyer told me that i am between a hard place.my lawyer said that i am lucky that ins didnt find out all this years.but you never answer my question why are u being removed.
You got a high school diploma and this is the best English you can write!?! =)
Old Aug 30th 2002, 4:17 pm
LeightonJ

Angry Re: Witholding Of Removal

Originally posted by Pulaski:

You got a high school diploma and this is the best English you can write!?! =)
When you are tired and frustrated sometimes bad english is all that comes out....besides, I got my point across. I don't have anyone to impress....Do I ?!!

Old Aug 30th 2002, 5:20 pm
Joe Smith

Hi ,

Does 1 year rule based on last arrival date? I have this question regarding 1 year
rule for my friend. She has been in US for 9 years legally. She transfered her visa
from F1->H1 and has been maintaining her H1 status. She left US earlier this year
for business trip and reentered US.She is a very good reason to apply for asylum.
Does she need to worry 1 year rule ??

Thank in advance.

Joe Smith

LUZAVELLANEDA <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am not being removed. I applied for political asylum, but I did it after a year
    > of being here. One of the asylum rules is to apply within a year, therefore, I was
    > granted witholding of removal, wich is very similar to the political asylum with
    > the only difference that I can not apply for permanent residence. They are not
    > going to remove me because I am legal right now I have my work permission and they
    > are going to renew it every year. My problem is that with witholding of removal I
    > can not apply for permanent residence and I would like to find the way to do it

Old Aug 30th 2002, 6:34 pm
Chris Parker

I thought asylum was involved with this. I'd be careful about departing the U.S.
however without a green card (i.e. using Advance Parole). Your situation is like
they have ordered you removed, but you may stay and live. However, if you leave
voluntarily, you could be excludable upon return. http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/efoia/bia/Decisi-
ons/Revdec/pdfDEC/3354.pdf

There are several ways to get a green card, but it still constitutes a form of
admission and so I don't know if you are eligible for adjustment of status or for
obtaining an immigrant visa from abroad, even if you were the beneficiary of a green
card petition.

A consultation with an immigration lawyer familiar with asylum should be able to help
you determine if a green card is ever possible for you.

CP

Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Chris, finally a good answer.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:55 am
Ingo Pakleppa

I'm not sure about such situations; you should consult with a good immigration
attorney experienced with asylum. Personally, I think she has a better chance
pursuing a standard employment-based case. Even if asylum worked out for her, it
would be tedious at best, and would take many years to get a Green Card.

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:20:01 -0700, Joe Smith wrote:

> Hi ,
    > Does 1 year rule based on last arrival date? I have this question regarding 1
    > year rule for my friend. She has been in US for 9 years legally. She transfered
    > her visa from F1->H1 and has been maintaining her H1 status. She left US earlier
    > this year for business trip and reentered US.She is a very good reason to apply
    > for asylum. Does she need to worry 1 year rule ??
    > Thank in advance.
    > Joe Smith
    > LUZAVELLANEDA <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I am not being removed. I applied for political asylum, but I did it after a year
    >> of being here. One of the asylum rules is to apply within a year, therefore, I was
    >> granted witholding of removal, wich is very similar to the political asylum with
    >> the only difference that I can not apply for permanent residence. They are not
    >> going to remove me because I am legal right now I have my work permission and they
    >> are going to renew it every year. My problem is that with witholding of removal I
    >> can not apply for permanent residence and I would like to find the way to do it
    >> because I want to travel abroad and in this way I cannot do
    >> it.