Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wire transfers to England

Wire transfers to England

Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:58 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wire transfers to England

Got a question.

I use BoA for wire transfers to England ( yeah I know I should use the other online people)

Anyways, I was in the bank last month for a wire transfer. Whilst I was waiting I was talking to a Czech girl who was also doing a wire transfer.
When I went to fill in the paperwork they said that there was a note on the screen saying that all transfers to this country must now be verified using a national ID. I had to use my green card instead of my Drivers license. Yet the Czech girl could use her drivers license ok.

Anyone else notice this or something else when doing transfers to the UK?

Looks to me that someone is putting transfers to the UK under close surveillance.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wire transfers to England

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Got a question.

I use BoA for wire transfers to England ( yeah I know I should use the other online people)

Anyways, I was in the bank last month for a wire transfer. Whilst I was waiting I was talking to a Czech girl who was also doing a wire transfer.
When I went to fill in the paperwork they said that there was a note on the screen saying that all transfers to this country must now be verified using a national ID. I had to use my green card instead of my Drivers license. Yet the Czech girl could use her drivers license ok.

Anyone else notice this or something else when doing transfers to the UK?

Looks to me that someone is putting transfers to the UK under close surveillance.
what would they have done if you were USC?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:53 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
what would they have done if you were USC?
That's a good question. Maybe you have to be a British Citizen to wire money there now? What happens if you go native and let your passport expire?

No one at the bank had any idea why it changed and like I mentioned the Czech girl could just use her Drivers License. Maybe this is part of Gordons get tough on terrorist finances scheme
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
That's a good question. Maybe you have to be a British Citizen to wire money there now? What happens if you go native and let your passport expire?

No one at the bank had any idea why it changed and like I mentioned the Czech girl could just use her Drivers License. Maybe this is part of Gordons get tough on terrorist finances scheme

More likely some internal BS at BoA - there are no restrictions on who can make the transfer, or their nationality, and companies can make transfers and they dont have passports. If the amount in question was high then that may require additional checks....
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
...If the amount in question was high then that may require additional checks....
The IRS, yes, but that wouldn't really mean needing a passport....maybe they don't like having a huge chunk owned by a Brit bank