Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Winter Studs

Winter Studs

Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:26 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Studs

Studded tires are illegal almost everywhere and not really neccessary, IMO. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on steel wheels I got from the Tire Rack. I think they ran about $600 delivered (with wheels).

I have a FWD sedan (Mazda 6) and these tires make it feel like a Hummer in winter driving.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
And the award for mis-leading thread title goes to.........BOB!
you should have seen the Tranny Flush thread, that really did bring in the dirty mares
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:23 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
you should have seen the Tranny Flush thread, that really did bring in the dirty mares

I'll bet it did!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
As far as I know not allowed in Ma.
That's a bugger, because I should have at least another winter or two out of my studs, and sod driving around without studs, or heading into maine...might have to switch them around up there then though *lol*
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Studded tires are illegal almost everywhere and not really neccessary, IMO. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on steel wheels I got from the Tire Rack. I think they ran about $600 delivered (with wheels).

I have a FWD sedan (Mazda 6) and these tires make it feel like a Hummer in winter driving.
blimey...that's a tad more than I want to spend on winter tyres...but least you got some rims in the price...

I just don't fancy chucking a decent set of winter studs out if I can...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:25 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
blimey...that's a tad more than I want to spend on winter tyres...but least you got some rims in the price...

I just don't fancy chucking a decent set of winter studs out if I can...
I've got a crap car, but never had a problem in snow or ice up here with a basic set of newish tyres on the car. They clear the roads pretty quickly after snow.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/...SnowTires.html

so according to that, they are legal...

but replacements - http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp

Don't know if that's a good deal though...but have seen Blizzaks recommended a lot....never used Bridgestone before though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=S&search=true

that was a list of other tyres, don't know if anyone has used the Pirelli Carving or the Dunlop jobbies, but that's more in the price range I was looking at if I did need to replace the set.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RoB1833
I've got a crap car, but never had a problem in snow or ice up here with a basic set of newish tyres on the car. They clear the roads pretty quickly after snow.
aye, that's true..but if we're heading up to maine and the likes, be nice having studs, especially where the in-laws live....and they do improve traction a fair bit.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:47 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know if that's a good deal though...but have seen Blizzaks recommended a lot....never used Bridgestone before though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=S&search=true

that was a list of other tyres, don't know if anyone has used the Pirelli Carving or the Dunlop jobbies, but that's more in the price range I was looking at if I did need to replace the set.
I think bridgestone make some of the best tires out there peronally.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I think bridgestone make some of the best tires out there peronally.
I've been reading good reviews of them, but just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a seasonal tyre, and a set of rims...but it might be worth it in the long run as we won't be having discount tyre swaps anymore, so around $40 to swap a set over I think...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've been reading good reviews of them, but just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a seasonal tyre, and a set of rims...but it might be worth it in the long run as we won't be having discount tyre swaps anymore, so around $40 to swap a set over I think...

Tyres can get pretty pricey. But I think they are quite a lot cheaper comparitively over here

I remember nearly 10 years ago going to buy michelin pilot sports for my alfa 164 and they were over a hundred quid each

Now, I find that front/rear tires are $179/225 respectively, which in the scheme of things is really not that bad (I always convert back to pounds when I'm trying to justify the cost of something )

Tyres and brakes are the one thing I don't skimp on with the car, they are whats keeping you stuck to the road
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:10 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bob, dear, Costco are pretty good for tyres, I think. The price includes after service/rotating. and a decent warranty.

Even if you're not a member, maybe you know someone who is?

Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

We get loads of snow here, we don't change the tyres........ we just plough through in the jeep and skate all the way in the focus
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Bob, dear, Costco are pretty good for tyres, I think. The price includes after service/rotating. and a decent warranty.

Even if you're not a member, maybe you know someone who is?

Me
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

true about the tyres, but in blighty, you didn't need winter studs...and my all seasonal tyres aren't completely crap either, but studs are nice around here, but still, can't think of spending that kind of money if I could *l*

All depends how well my studs kept over the summer in the folks shed thingy.

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Tyres can get pretty pricey. But I think they are quite a lot cheaper comparitively over here

I remember nearly 10 years ago going to buy michelin pilot sports for my alfa 164 and they were over a hundred quid each

Now, I find that front/rear tires are $179/225 respectively, which in the scheme of things is really not that bad (I always convert back to pounds when I'm trying to justify the cost of something )

Tyres and brakes are the one thing I don't skimp on with the car, they are whats keeping you stuck to the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.