British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Windemere it aint!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/windemere-aint-429837/)

Silly Sod Feb 23rd 2007 4:16 pm

Windemere it aint!!!

Went on a small road trip yesterday. Very small actually. It took about 45 minutes but it was quite enjoyable. One long straight road from K-Zoo to South Haven. Not much traffic, cruise control on. Nice.

The day before yesterday had been so like spring here n 'the zoo' that we decided we should head up to Lake Michigan the next day. The sun had been shining, it was n the 40's and snow was melting all over the place. So, we got all excited and planned to go see the lake the following day. I had not seen it yet, apart from flying over it to come into the country.

However, the next day was bloody chilly as hell and overcast. Very miserable, freezing weather. But we decided what the heck, let's go anyway. I was glad to find that we weren't the only ones crazy enough to head to the beach in that type of weather, there were a few families out, wrapped up warm and with video cameras. The thing is when we got there the bloody thing was frozen solid for about four miles. Totally amazing. It was like being in the antartctic. There was sand, then there was ice, miles and miles of ice.

We walked out to a lighthouse along a causeway type thing and I was fully expecting to see polar bears lumbering around out there. Anyway, it was an amazing thing to see. If there is anyway to upload short videos to BE can somone let me know and I will put a clip on here for all those softy southerners living in the sunshine all year round. So, let me know. Thanks guys.

cabritpop Feb 23rd 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Windemere it aint!!!

If you want to upload videos, upload them to youtube and put the link on here. ;)

http://youtube.com/my_videos_upload

penguinsix Feb 23rd 2007 4:24 pm

I went to school near Lake Michigian and those massive glaciers that get pushed over to the Michigan side are pretty amazing. They are quite large at times and just seem to go one for miles.

If you get down the road to say Michigan City, IN (big outlet mall there) you can climb some of the sand dunes that are built up in much the same way as the ice. Not sure if there are dunes farther (never went past St. Joesph MI, which was also pretty nice).

Silly Sod Feb 23rd 2007 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4446458)
If you want to upload videos, upload them to youtube and put the link on here. ;)

Hey mate, hoe's it dangling? Straight I hope ha ha. Anyway, what a silly sod I am indeed. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I will post the link asap. it is just uploading now. Watch this space.

Silly Sod Feb 23rd 2007 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4446458)

Okie, here is the link. Hope you guys are as amazed as i was. It aint much but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Ee8y0hN1s

Leeds_Lass Feb 23rd 2007 5:27 pm

Lake Michigan is one of my favourite places in the States. My in laws live in White Cloud, about an hour and a half away from the lake. I try to get hubbie to take me there every time we visit.

I've walked that causeway to the lighthouse too sillysod! It's great in summer but treacherous in winter.

That clip was awesome, very dramatic sky, thanks for posting :).

Silly Sod Feb 23rd 2007 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass (Post 4446747)
Lake Michigan is one of my favourite places in the States. My in laws live in White Cloud, about an hour and a half away from the lake. I try to get hubbie to take me there every time we visit.

I've walked that causeway to the lighthouse too sillysod! It's great in summer but treacherous in winter.

That clip was awesome, very dramatic sky, thanks for posting :).

Thank you Leeds. You are right about the causeway. I was not dressed for the day at all and was wearing only a hoodie and t-shirt and a pair of very worn trainers that I like to drive in. There is no tread on them at all and I pretty much slipped and slid to the lighthouse and did the same back. Glad you liked it. :)

Mallory Feb 23rd 2007 6:03 pm

That was great! Thanks for posting it. I feel guilty sitting here in the 65-degree sunshine. Wow, when will it melt?

Jan Alaska Feb 23rd 2007 6:08 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I take it you didnt get round to sunbathing then ? We walk along the lake shore in winter quite often, after storms you can find "ice pebbles" which are made when the water splashes and freezes into droplets. Also ice caves are a frequent sight here, if the ice is thick enough you can go inside them!
If you get the chance try and make the journey to Tahquamenon Falls in the UP in the winter time, the water freezes over the falls and minerals give blue and pink shades its quite the sight.

Sophia_S Feb 23rd 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4446468)
I went to school near Lake Michigian and those massive glaciers that get pushed over to the Michigan side are pretty amazing. They are quite large at times and just seem to go one for miles.

If you get down the road to say Michigan City, IN (big outlet mall there) you can climb some of the sand dunes that are built up in much the same way as the ice. Not sure if there are dunes farther (never went past St. Joesph MI, which was also pretty nice).

Yes,aren't they called Warren Dunes?..I think so,we drove up into Michigan several years ago,if I remember rightly they're not too far north of St.Joseph,my husband and son climbed right up to the top and ran back down!,we've driven to several different places in Michigan from Illinois several different times over the years,but it's always been in the summer!,very pretty up there,but I hate the winters!,they're bad enough here!.....Sophia:blink:

Maz Feb 23rd 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4446758)
Thank you Leeds. You are right about the causeway. I was not dressed for the day at all and was wearing only a hoodie and t-shirt and a pair of very worn trainers that I like to drive in. There is no tread on them at all and I pretty much slipped and slid to the lighthouse and did the same back. Glad you liked it. :)

:lol: (sorry!)

Hey 18 months ago I went to Saugatuck for the weekend. HIGHLY recommend it for a summer getaway. Start planning! Go on the riverboat cruise out on to the lake. Yes, you can sit out in the open and buy drinkies from the bar. :thumbup: We stayed across the inlet from 'downtown' (ha ha) Saugatuck and took the chain ferry across to the centre. Lovely weekend, will never forget it! Go to Oval Beach and paddle in the lake there. Make sure there's not an eColi warning like there had just been when I went. :lol:

Silly Sod Feb 24th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4446852)
That was great! Thanks for posting it. I feel guilty sitting here in the 65-degree sunshine. Wow, when will it melt?

I have no idea when it will melt, but not for a while I suspect - Mrs Silly Sod might know better or one of the other posters on this thread. I should have mentioned also, as I was looking out to sea - as it were - I could see land on the opposite side. I thought it must be the way the bay is shaped or something because I know that the lake is far to big to be able to see across.

I mentioned it to the missus and she told me that that isn't land on the distant horizone, it is where the waves are breaking onto the ice. I was astounded further. i didn't think I could capture it on the camera as it was so far off, but as I looked more closely I could see that the 'land' was indeed moving. The waves must have been huge out there even though they were tiny from our perspective. I love water and the ocean. In manchester we used to swim in dirty oily pools or in a canal with dead cats, no fish and old cars. You coulnd't keep me away from water so this was a special treat. Iwill defo be heading up there come summer and be swimming like a little fishy!!!

Silly Sod Feb 24th 2007 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4447562)
:lol: (sorry!)

Hey 18 months ago I went to Saugatuck for the weekend. HIGHLY recommend it for a summer getaway. Start planning! Go on the riverboat cruise out on to the lake. Yes, you can sit out in the open and buy drinkies from the bar. :thumbup: We stayed across the inlet from 'downtown' (ha ha) Saugatuck and took the chain ferry across to the centre. Lovely weekend, will never forget it! Go to Oval Beach and paddle in the lake there. Make sure there's not an eColi warning like there had just been when I went. :lol:

Hi Maz, me old southern mate. i am about to PM you so check in later. :)

dgsyd1 Feb 24th 2007 6:42 am

I really need to go up north again, I haven't been to the UP since 1999.

Manc Feb 24th 2007 8:53 am

lake effect snow is wank