British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Winamp (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/winamp-284835/)

tony126 Feb 17th 2005 2:30 am

Winamp

The Winamp site says that it is legal to download any amount of records on their files. Is this right? I thought people were being taken to court over this. Any one put me right on this? Seems too good to be true which is why I am asking the question.

ukemigrant Feb 17th 2005 3:21 am

Re: Winamp

Originally Posted by tony126
The Winamp site says that it is legal to download any amount of records on their files. Is this right? I thought people were being taken to court over this. Any one put me right on this? Seems too good to be true which is why I am asking the question.

I haven't been on their site personally, but there are many mp3 files not governed by copyright anymore - audio and music. I don't know which files they are offering, but it could be true.

Bob Feb 17th 2005 4:31 am

Aye, could be true...could also be a non US based site, so that'll stop them being raped by the digital millenium bill and RIAA/MPAA...

BritGuyTN Feb 17th 2005 1:34 pm

winamp is owned by AOL

tony_2003 Feb 17th 2005 8:44 pm

Probably stuff by unsigned bands, which is usually shite.

rincewind Feb 18th 2005 2:54 am

Originally Posted by tony126

Hi tony. I had a sniff around the WinAmp site this evening and it appears you may have read about their promo offer.

Forwarding our never-ending quest to create the perfect media experience with Winamp, keeping it real all the while, we've decided to unleash our Winamp 5.08 update on the public. In addition to the security fixes we've implemented to ensure your system stays safe, you can now take advantage of the free music offer we've bundled in, courtesy of our friends at eMusic: 50 Free MP3s.
You can read the whole thing here

Usually, WinAmp do not offer any sort of MP3 downloads. They just offer the player and it's plug-ins. This is just a promo that's going on.

I mainly use WinAmp for Internet Radio, CD playing and testing my own tracks. There are some excellent channels on the radio and plenty of variety. You're bound to find something you like if you haven't played with it already.

The Public Access Channel on the video section is sometimes funny. But can be a little weird. 24/7 of any nut with a camera :D

Have fun.

Bob Feb 18th 2005 3:18 am

Originally Posted by rincewind
I mainly use WinAmp for Internet Radio, CD playing and testing my own tracks. There are some excellent channels on the radio and plenty of variety. You're bound to find something you like if you haven't played with it already.

The Public Access Channel on the video section is sometimes funny. But can be a little weird. 24/7 of any nut with a camera :D

cool...I haven't played around with winamp in years, around v2 or 3 was the last time...maybe I'll give it a go sometime....hmmm... :)

tony126 Feb 18th 2005 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
Hi tony. I had a sniff around the WinAmp site this evening and it appears you may have read about their promo offer.

You can read the whole thing here

Usually, WinAmp do not offer any sort of MP3 downloads. They just offer the player and it's plug-ins. This is just a promo that's going on.

Have fun.

Thanks for that. I think I have mislead evryone including myself. The web site was www.net-mp3-downloads.com/winamp which in fact is not Winamp :confused: Having gone back to it I think you have to pay for the site but the downloads are free. I am still wary about it so will take your advice and play with Winamp a little more.