Reload this Page >

Wilmington, North Carolina Relocation from UK - All help appreciated

Wilmington, North Carolina Relocation from UK - All help appreciated

Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

ILMLover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wilmington, North Carolina Relocation from UK - All help appreciated

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a while and have managed to get a lot of information but the entire process is completely daunting at the moment. Some seems to be conflicting and, given that every state seems to have it's own rules thought a post of my own with a lot of questions and begging for help might be the easiest way for me to move forward.

My employer is willing to relocate me and my wife on an L1a or L1b Visa (not 100% sure which one yet) but, in order to arrive at a relocation package I need to do a lot of research my self and put forward a proposal so want to make sure I consider everything.

Based on your experiences I'd appreciate it if people could share their past experiences of the costs incurred along with any other considerations / advise.

Costs I can think of and would need to consider so far are
  • Cost of Visa
  • Estate Agent fees for selling my house
  • Legal fees associated with selling my house
  • Cost of one way flights
  • International shipping fees / Cost of temporary storage (any approximate ides would be appreciated)
  • Any penalties on my existing mortgage
  • Cost of temporary housing (between selling and actually moving)
  • Cost of return flights (to find somewhere to live)
  • Cost of shipping a Rottweiler to North Carolina
So I have managed to find out a Rottweiler is classed as a dangerous breed and I therefore need a licence, criminal background check, attend a course etc. Does anyone have details of having been through this in the past, how long it takes, can I do it at the same time or do I have to be a resident for a while. Would really appreciate help and guidance on this.

Other consideration I can think of:
  • How long do I have to be there before I could apply for a green card and how long does that take. Any ideas on cost? How long it would take?
  • Lack of credit history - Does anyone know if NatWest is able to introduce me to a new bank (seems unlikely)
    • How long does it take to build a decent history and start to get reasonable finance costs
    • What is the best way to build history cheaply
    • Is it worth taking a copy of my UK credit file or is that just a waste of paper?
    • Is it worth leaving some of the money I make from the house in the UK and using a UK credit card or am I better to use this to get a secured credit card
    • Should I bother keeping a UK credit card just in case?
  • Lack of driving history in NC
    • Am I better sticking with a UK licence for a while or going straight for a NC licence
    • Buy or lease a car (or even rent)
    • I'm 35 and have a good UK history which I understands for very little, if anything. I've read about international autosource" or similar. Does this help with insurance costs or just purchase/rental.
    • Any idea on a rough monthly insurance cost for a car (with room for a Rottie) and what sort of car would that be?
    • What is the quickest way to reduce insurance costs quickly
    • Any ideas on companies I could start to look at and get an idea of cost (most seem to want SSN to even get a quote)
  • Housing rentals, Some say credit isn't an issue, others say it is. I know my employer has preferred agents dealing with real estate, not sure of specifics but do you think this means their reputation makes renting easier. Any ideas?
  • Health Insurance
    • What do I need to know, what questions should I ask
  • Mobile phone
    • I've heard that companies want huge deposits to get a phone contract. Is this right? Are there some that are more preferable to others / make it easier and cost effective?
    • Contract or pay as you go?
I know there will be a lot more I've not even thought about, some I have but wanted to keep this to a sensible length otherwise you might get bored reading. I really am looking for as much help as people are willing to offer.

Thank you all for taking time to read this and for any help you may give me.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wilmington, North Carolina Relocation from UK - All help appreciated

TLDNR

Might I suggest that you

(i) review other recent posts on things that come up frequently, such as health insurance, cell phones, and shipping your belongings and dog, and then

(ii) "fill in" with other posts on any gaps in your understanding because replying to such a long laundry list of questions is quite daunting and many of your specific questions are likely to get lost in the mix.

FWIW You CANNOT "stick with your UK licence for a while". You have 30 days to get a local NC license.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Wilmington, North Carolina Relocation from UK - All help appreciated

Thanks, I can certainly do that but wasn't sure if any of this is state specific or not and to be honest, I've not found a lot that does seem to be NC specific.

Certainly I couldn't fund anything specifically about taking a Rottweiler to NC / licence required etc. but will create a new post for that.

As for a couple of the pieces you have put. I'm afraid I do not understand and would appreciate help

What is TLDNR and FWIW?

thanks
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILMLover
Thanks, I can certainly do that but wasn't sure if any of this is state specific or not and to be honest, I've not found a lot that does seem to be NC specific.

Certainly I couldn't fund anything specifically about taking a Rottweiler to NC / licence required etc. but will create a new post for that.

As for a couple of the pieces you have put. I'm afraid I do not understand and would appreciate help

What is TLDNR and FWIW?

thanks
Google is your friend!

FWIW = For what it's worth, because despite what I said (about not responding to a very long set of questions), I was answering one of your questions.

Most of what you are asking is generic - moving costs, health insurance, credit history, cell phones, rentals, and most topics are well covered recently, but you could ask a clarifying question if you need to.

That said things like your driving licence and the dog licensing could be rolled in to a "moving to NC" thread. ..... And I will be pleased to respond to that one.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is your company asking you to move to NC or are you applying for a transfer?

This often affects how much you can bargain for in the re-location package- if the company wants you to go they are usually prepared to offer more.

You seem to be asking for a lot of expenses to be paid in relation to the selling of your current house in the UK.

A typical re-location package, where the company wants you to move, would include:

Costs of flights to new location
(Maybe cost of flights for visit to obtain accommodation prior to final move)
Costs of shipping household goods
Costs of visas
Paying of first two months rental/deposit for accommodation
Paying of first two months rental of car
An additional agreed sum for 'incidentals'
Agreement for re-patriation and relevant costs of returning home if job goes south.

In the general Agreement, in addition to costs, some folks include a clause which defines when, and if, the company will sponsor for a Green Card.

With regard to health insurance you need to have full details of what your company offers and what YOUR costs are going to be. Most Company plans have the employer paying, say, half of the monthly premiums but the employee paying the rest, plus any deductibles and co-pays. Rarely do companies pay all of the costs.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi SanDiegogirl.

Thank you. I now know this was probably too long a post so really appreciate your time. My mind is just spinning at the moment.

It's a combination of applying for a transfer but also them wanting me to move due to the experience and knowledge I can bring.

I was asked to look at what it would cost me to relocate and pull together the details for them. The selling fees from the house was something they specifically asked me to include so wanted to make sure I consider everything and put it forward. Worst case they refuse some of the items.

Re-patriation and costs of returning home is the job goes South is certainly something I'd not thought about and definitely something I should make sure is included.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Don't sell the house until you get the green card. Perhaps ask them to pay 12 months rental on a house in NC in lieu of house selling costs. What if you don't like it, don't get a green card, get let go in 2 years..
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Don't sell the house until you get the green card. Perhaps ask them to pay 12 months rental on a house in NC in lieu of house selling costs. What if you don't like it, don't get a green card, get let go in 2 years..
... Unless you were planning on selling the house anyway (up-sizing etc).

If you go to the US, don't like it, move back to the UK - would you choose to move back to the same area, or would you want to make it somewhere completely different?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you have chosen the right State.

My pup finds anything smaller than a F150 not to his taste, he like the window in the crew cab as he can pop into the truck bed when needed. He is a bit bigger than your one however. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket back there for water.

The Miata only works with the hood down.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

In the spirit of 'if I knew then....' Buy your furniture out here, it'll be the right scale for the much bigger home you'll have here in NC. Negotiate on that rather than shipping.
I drive a Volvo XC90, third row down, dog grille up if that helps.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mommapudding
In the spirit of 'if I knew then....' Buy your furniture out here, it'll be the right scale for the much bigger home you'll have here in NC. Negotiate on that rather than shipping.
I drive a Volvo XC90, third row down, dog grille up if that helps.

Helps hugely!
Thank you. So much to do, so little time
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Robert Pilcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved from Hampshire UK to Tennessee eight years ago. TN driving test is a breeze. Took me about two weeks of driving to get used to driving in the opposite lane. Stop for school buses and give cop cars a wide berth if they are pulled over on police business. aside from that, the rest (street furniture - road signs etc) are intuitive.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Robert Pilcher
..... Stop for school buses .....
On ordinary roads and two and four lane highways, but not (in NC, at least) on divided highways (dual carriageways) or five lane roads with a center turn lane.
..... and give cop cars a wide berth if they are pulled over on police business. ....
Most states, and certainly in NC, the rule, on an interstate or multi-lane highway is you must EITHER give emergency vehicles (not only police*) one clear lane of room, OR slow down to 20mph below the posted speed limit.

..... - road signs etc are intuitive.
Most are intuitive, but in NC before they issue a license they ask you to identify four yellow warning signs based only on their shape (the black writing or symbols are missing) - a level crossing is round, a school is a house shape, a no passing zone is a pennant shape (pointing right), and most other hazzards are a square standing on one corner.

* I am not sure if that applies to wreckers (break down trucks), but it has become customary to give them an clear lane of room too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2015 at 3:23 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:43 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't your company have a standard relocation package? Ask for a copy of what they normally offer and then see if it suits you.

I'd definitely put the green card application in the package. Like the others that have commented, I would hesitate to sell my house without it.

If they give you an allowance to cover incidentals then make sure that it's increased to cover your tax liability here.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

Hi ILMLover

I relocated to Wilmington NC from Taunton, Somerset, UK October 2013. If there is any specifics you need to know about the area or accommodation just let me know. I'm IT at a real estate and property management company so can help out in those areas too.

I got my driving licence here within 2 weeks of arriving and the practical test (In my USC Wife's car) and written/sight tests including first driving licence card was about $4.00
The bit that made me cry was the car insurance. My 10yrs no claims and clean driving record meant nothing over here. Treated as a 16yr old which totally sucks for the first couple of years.

Tip for insurance in NC - Not all insurers volunteer the fact you can reduce your premium by a fair amount if you travel within a certain distance to and from work everyday.
I have a good friend who is also my insurance broker at Farm Bureau here and I can assure you he would do you a great deal even if you got some other quotes beforehand.

I have a Natwest account in the UK but had no introductions to banks here. My wife already banked with Wells Fargo so I was simply added to the account.

Paying everyday utility bills does nothing for your credit history so ask your bank for a secured credit card upon arrival which probably require you to put down $300 or so. Use it as a gas (petrol) card and pay it off every month and you should see some kind of credit history after 12-14 months. This is only based on my own experience and your timeline may vary. I was luck enough to arrive in October and had a good job by December and Well Fargo gave me a credit card (Unsecured) with a good credit limit immediately.
Always stay within 25-30% of your credit limit.
With all that being said, I got a mortgage (Without the wife) after 13 months credit building.

Mobile phones - I used my UK iPhone 4S and went to AT&T as they were the only ones who could provide me with a PAYG SIM until I had good credit for a contract. AT&T works just about everywhere in and around ILM.

Health Insurance- There's not much competition in NC and Blue Cross & Blue Shield NC tend to be the most prevalent. Costs vary depending on how many are insured, company benefit, coinsurance etc.

Pets - My wife is a vet tech at one of the local animal hospitals. If you need any info about your four legged friends.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Last edited by robUK81; Jul 23rd 2015 at 7:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.