British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wilma (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wilma-332664/)

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 20th 2005 8:56 pm

Wilma

Is now forecast to have a direct hit on the Cancun area as a cat4/5 tomorow midday before it turns East towards Florida. There is likely to be serious damage and loss of life to those that havent evacuated the resort.

I know theres another thread but this is potentially catastrophic and I feel it needs bumping up.

Yosser Oct 21st 2005 2:42 pm

Re: Wilma

My mum flew over from England Wednesday night and was due to fly to Cancun on Monday, don't think she will be going now.....what a pisser!

Rushman Oct 21st 2005 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Yosser
don't think she will be going now.....what a pisser!

You two don't get on then huh?

Yosser Oct 21st 2005 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
You two don't get on then huh?

lol :)

I guess it read wrong? me mums great, its just she may not get her money back, my wife is on the blower trying to find out whats going on! and besides she's been wanting to go there for years.

When she was planning to come over she wanted to explore a bit, and was all set for New Orleans until katrina, so she switched to CanCun and now Wilma what are the chances of that eh?

cindyabs Oct 21st 2005 4:14 pm

lol :)

I guess it read wrong? me mums great, its just she may not get her money back, my wife is on the blower trying to find out whats going on! and besides she's been wanting to go there for years.

When she was planning to come over she wanted to explore a bit, and was all set for New Orleans until katrina, so she switched to CanCun and now Wilma what are the chances of that eh?

The two companies that do charters to Cancun that I deal with here in the US are giving people the option of rescheduling without penalty etc. etc.
If you mother has travel insurance that should cover any penalty that might be charged for changes-contrary to popular opinion, if you buy a package with seperate air and hotel-what goes wrong with one doesn't mean that you get off the hook for the other IF you don't have insurance.
The young honeymoon couple I have down there right now are in a shelter and expect the worst of it to hit this afternoon. They were supposed to fly out today to come home, but obviously airport is closed. They have been rebooked for late Sunday afternoon flight but at this point who knows.
As for the status afterwards, the travel companies are good, (one I have in particular) about saying how much damage there is and if need be when a hotel would reopen. Tourism is their lifeblood there so am sure they will rebound as quickly as humanly possible.
Fingers crossed.

Yosser Oct 21st 2005 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The two companies that do charters to Cancun that I deal with here in the US are giving people the option of rescheduling without penalty etc. etc.
If you mother has travel insurance that should cover any penalty that might be charged for changes-contrary to popular opinion, if you buy a package with seperate air and hotel-what goes wrong with one doesn't mean that you get off the hook for the other IF you don't have insurance.
The young honeymoon couple I have down there right now are in a shelter and expect the worst of it to hit this afternoon. They were supposed to fly out today to come home, but obviously airport is closed. They have been rebooked for late Sunday afternoon flight but at this point who knows.
As for the status afterwards, the travel companies are good, (one I have in particular) about saying how much damage there is and if need be when a hotel would reopen. Tourism is their lifeblood there so am sure they will rebound as quickly as humanly possible.
Fingers crossed.

My wife is a travel consultant too, so she is working on sending the old dear to Cabo san Lucas instead. (she took today off but is calling from home...so much for a day off ;) )

We went on a travel expo last april to Cancun, Loved it, very relaxing.

Englishmum Oct 21st 2005 4:28 pm

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are supposedly getting married at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun.

cindyabs Oct 21st 2005 5:30 pm

My wife is a travel consultant too, so she is working on sending the old dear to Cabo san Lucas instead. (she took today off but is calling from home...so much for a day off ;) )

Been there, done that, in fact probably will be doing it Sat for this couple.......

Leslie Oct 21st 2005 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are supposedly getting married at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun.

Pass me the sick bucket.

cindyabs Oct 21st 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Probably because it looks like a fortress! :eek:

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 21st 2005 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Probably because it looks like a fortress! :eek:

After today it'll more resemble Beirut or Baghdad at their worst.