Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will you retire in the US

Wikiposts

Will you retire in the US

Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you retire in the US

Originally Posted by Rushman
I was serious, I couldn't sit at the computer all day taking the piss out of people.....I'd enjoy it so much I'd forget to eat and die of malnutrition before my 66th birthday.

I dunno how you do it......you're my hero.
I have waitress service .................
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
I have waitress service .................
I might have to shack up at your place then cos Mrs.R won't be having any of that.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I might have to shack up at your place then cos Mrs.R won't be having any of that.
You have kids to train ...
My kids have never been able to find me ...
I went out to get cigs in 1974 ..
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:46 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Concrete built bungalow in las Vegas until the medical costs get too high. Then its back to Liverpool to see my days out. Get cremated and have my ashes scattered on the Pacific Ocean.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
It isn't so black and white though for most is it...there's up and downs to everywhere, but when your married to a septic, you either put up with it to be with someone you love, or you chose to not be, and be somewhere else that'll make you happy, but that breaks up a relationship, so again, not going to be happy.

Personally, I don't mind it here, I don't love it, but I don't hate it either, I'd say indifferent, but I don't fancy being old and or poor here, and certainly not here if I weren't in a position to afford/drive a car here.
Bob, you're so young you'll probably be able to retire on Mars or something...
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
It is scandalous, but at least we have choices and options as to where to retire. My husband got denied some meds and had to quit his job while stuck in an NHS queue...which we never anticipated or expected to happen. Fortunately we were able to find the money to pay for private. At least here we know what our insurance does/not cover and we can plan accordingly. We were very unlucky, and also know that we're not representative of NHS care.

My FIL (lives here) retired with lifetime insurance, which supplements his medicare. He and his wife have had all of their treatments (heart cath, knee replacement, yearly medicals) and meds fully paid for. They are very lucky, and not representative of US OAPs.

Impossible to generalise, as there are too many factors at play and both systems are going to see a lot of change in the next decade.
Indeed. Who knows what the healthcare landscape will look like when we retire. But, given that medicare now covers medications (admittedly, with a bizarre set of holes) and I will almost certainly be able to fill Medicare's holes with supplemental insurance, I would prefer to be covered by Medicare than the NHS. The problem in the US is not so much Medicare, but the window between the ages of 50 and 65 where people are very vulnerable to losing employment-based insurance and often need significant healthcare. This the age range that suffers the largest rate of health cost-related bankruptcies.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:53 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Indeed. Who knows what the healthcare landscape will look like when we retire. But, given that medicare now covers medications (admittedly, with a bizarre set of holes) and I will almost certainly be able to fill Medicare's holes with supplemental insurance, I would prefer to be covered by Medicare than the NHS. The problem in the US is not so much Medicare, but the window between the ages of 50 and 65 where people are very vulnerable to losing employment-based insurance and often need significant healthcare. This the age range that suffers the largest rate of health cost-related bankruptcies.
yes, it really comes down to a particular situation. With Medicare, if an old person doesn't have enough to live on, they can receive SSI (supplemental income) and/or Medicaid (which is health coverage for the poor of any age), so there is a safety net in place.

The upside for hubby and myself - our Social Security (i.e. state pension), will be double that of what we would receive in the UK, and we can start drawing it (at a reduced rate), at age 62. We will both be eligible for Medicare at age 65. All depends on yr circumstances.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:22 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

The upside for hubby and myself - our Social Security (i.e. state pension), will be double that of what we would receive in the UK, and we can start drawing it (at a reduced rate), at age 62. We will both be eligible for Medicare at age 65. All depends on yr circumstances.
Pity it's only worth half as much though.

As for medicaire/aid vs NHS? I know which I prefer.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Old William

morning/afternoon old bill
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:57 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Truthfully, if I was an older person, and needed hospital care, I can't see what the difference would be between NHS and Medicare. My mum broke her hip and was in hospital in UK, and MIL broke her hip and was in hospital in US. Both got excellent care. Only difference was that MIL had private room. Neither one of them paid anything. Mum was NHS, and MIL had Medicare/and retirement insurance. I was pleased with care in both circumstances.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever lived anywhere else but the UK?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:41 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Afternoon ma'am
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:41 am
Tool

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you ever lived anywhere else but the UK?
Well...I may have
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:43 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well...I may have

you should take a couple of yrs out sometime, really broadens one's horizons
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

you should take a couple of yrs out sometime, really broadens one's horizons
Yeah...try living somewhere cosmopolitan...like Florida.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.