Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will it work - Tv question

Will it work - Tv question

Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

IceBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will it work - Tv question

I've shipped over a 42" plasma tv from the UK. How can I get it to work over here? If I get a step up transformer, does anyone know what capacity transformer I need? Is it simply about increasing the voltage or do I need a certain wattage capacity? Is there anything else that would stop it working?

I need my TV!!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it work - Tv question

Silly person!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IceBrit
I've shipped over a 42" plasma tv from the UK.
Thanks for the laugh... I really needed it. One word... paperweight.

Seriously though, why on earth would you ship a TV? I've got one here in my family room that seems to work fine on US power... and, it was fairly inexpensive.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2008, 12:18 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've shipped over a 42" plasma tv from the UK. How can I get it to work over here? If I get a step up transformer, does anyone know what capacity transformer I need? Is it simply about increasing the voltage or do I need a certain wattage capacity? Is there anything else that would stop it working?

I need my TV!!

There is a very very slim chance that the TV will take 110-220. You'll need to check the manual and if that is the case, you can simply switch out the cord and not worry about the transformer (warning: make sure you are certain it can handle 110-220 before doing this). You might also need to go into the menu set up to see if it can handle NTSC signals. You could be in for a bit of a disappointment if it cannot.

The general advice is not to ship a TV--sell it in the UK and buy a new one here.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything else that would stop it working?
You mean apart from the fact that the US and UK use completely different standards for TV signals?

The short answer is "No, it won't work".

The long answer is "Depending on the capabilities and specifications of the TV in question it just *might* be possible to make it "work" for some definition of "work" (if, for example, it has DVI inputs you might be able to hook it up to your computer)" but I am afraid that the general answer to these questions tends to be that if *you* need to ask, then, no, *you* will not be able to get it to work even if it is theoretically possible.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 12:45 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I need my TV!!

I take it you do know about the PAL system in the UK and the NTSC systems in the US and they are completely different - won't interchange?

I think by reading your post your TV doesn't sound like its a multisystem TV (can play both PAL and NTSC, nothing to do with different wattage) but check your manual.

This link might help since you already have brought it over. http://www.world-import.com/cmd1500.htm

Maybe by reading the reviews etc there you may see if it fits the bill. I haven't used it or know if it works but thought this might helpful. Maybe someone with more knowledge about it will help you out.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:08 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If your TV is dual voltage, then there is a good chance that it is also multi-system (NTSC and PAL.) If it isn't, then it probably isn't.

If you can't figure it out by looking at it or by reading the instruction manual, then put the brand and model number into Google or another search engine, and see if you can figure it out from that. If you're still confused, then provide that information here and someone here can give it a shot.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I need my TV!!

Hi:

What do you mean by "tv"?? In these days of separate components, it can confusing.

For example, I have a three year old Fujitsu "Plasmavision" "display" or "monitor." The manuals are in English, Spanish, French, Portugese, German & Russian. It can get signals from many different sources and it needs power for 110-240 VAC 50/60 hz -- IOW, it appears to be a universal monitor.

On the other parts of a home component system, I would join in recommending in going with US market components. Do remember that DVD's often have regional coding.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:18 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

IF it is PAL and NTSC - and you buy a transformer you will need to get 3 times the wattage of the tv for the initial powersurge when you turn it on. Its really worth just buying one here.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

All modern TVs in the UK used to be able to take an NTSC signal - I read somewhere that this changed with flat screens, anyone know if that's true?

My CRT Toshiba used to take an NTSC signal with no issues and I know most others did but being over here since the advent of the flat screen I dont know if this is still the case.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that either the analog nor digital tuner can be used in the US to receive over the air (OTA) / Freeview (British) transmissions. The US also uses 60 Hz screen refresh rate and Europe uses 50 Hz. However, I believe that most European flat panel TVs support 1080i @ 60 Hz along with all 50 Hz signals through the component or HDMI inputs.

Therefore, I suspect that the TV can be used with a US HD cable or SAT set top box (STB) which should be set to output at 1080i60. However, this will only work with a Hi-Def (HD) STB and not a standard STB.

Ask the question in the following UK forum (Plasma Flat Panel Televisions Topic) giving the make and model of the TV. They will know the answer for sure. They should also know if a transformer is needed.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Silly person!
Oh that was helpful!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 2:03 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that was helpful!
..and true!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

To those of you who tried to help, thanks very much!

The shipping was free for us and as we thought, the tv seems to have all the necessary specs. Hence I think all we need is the step up transformer.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

To those of you who tried to help, thanks very much!

The shipping was free for us and as we thought, the tv seems to have all the necessary specs. Hence I think all we need is the step up transformer.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Get the transformer and see if it works! They dont use scart here but HDMI will still work, otherwise its component. If you have other UK stuff get a UK power strip and power it off one transformer, just make sure it has enough wattage!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.