Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"at will" work state (getting fired - no rights)

"at will" work state (getting fired - no rights)

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:02 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "at will" work state (getting fired - no rights)

Originally Posted by gardnma
Lovely tale. Pray tell, how is it that companies expect and demand loyalty when they pull stunts like this? Admittedly, it was a really bad mistake; were any re-hired?
Yes, most of them, we still had to get the work done.

It was a wierd time, the work on the nukes was coming to an end, and we had to rate the people we supervised, in order of preference. By the time I was ditched, all the job vacancies were gone and then some, and having been a supervisor, I couldn't get a journeyman job.

In my time with that company, the culture changed from that where the companies rewarded faithfull employees to the "no loyalty either way" style.

I should say that twice, in previous employments, I was laid of in earlier years to make room for the friends of a new boss, and twice I was the one who turned them, the bosses, down when they later flamed out and wanted to follow me.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

It was a wierd time, the work on the nukes was coming to an end, and we had to rate the people we supervised, in order of preference. By the time I was ditched, all the job vacancies were gone and then some, and having been a supervisor, I couldn't get a journeyman job.

In my time with that company, the culture changed from that where the companies rewarded faithfull employees to the "no loyalty either way" style.

I should say that twice, in previous employments, I was laid of in earlier years to make room for the friends of a new boss, and twice I was the one who turned them, the bosses, down when they later flamed out and wanted to follow me.
Revenge is sweet, as they say. See my PM.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What goes around, comes around eh?
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:56 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What goes around, comes around eh?
It does, but I didn't do it maliciously, I justdidn't trust them to fit in with my crews after what I had seen them do.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It does, but I didn't do it maliciously, I justdidn't trust them to fit in with my crews after what I had seen them do.
Exactly...who could blame you.