Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"at will" work state (getting fired - no rights)

"at will" work state (getting fired - no rights)

Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "at will" work state (getting fired - no rights)

Originally Posted by Big D
No - actually its shit - because they can leave whenever they want to, and if you work in an area that is buoyant then it can be an issue retaining staff. In addition those workers that are exempt (professional rather than hourly) you have to manage by output so its very difficult to get anyone working core hours.

This work hard thing is a bit strange to me - yes the come in early and work late (for the most part) but 2 hour lunches are the norm and the work put in during the hours is less than I have experienced in Europe!

That's another shock you're in for if you're transferred to this area...you'll be lucky if you get a 30 min lunch break.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:07 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbj1000
And as a manager I can honestly say that I'd hate to work with you, let alone for you!

You're also wrong, as far as I'm concerned. Every day I see people who are so scared of losing their jobs that they won't even take the risks in their decision making that I need them to in order to remain effective... and that doesn't make for good business, it makes for stale, slow-moving, risk-averse business.

But perhaps you work in part of a business that fuctions well that way.
Your staff are only as good as their management. My staff take calculated risks when needed and are cautious when needed, they are encouraged and rewarded for their efforts and achevements, both verbally, $$$ and other tokens of appriciation like leaving early etc. I have a very low turnover, only one person has left my department in the last 3 years and that was becasue her husband was got a job in Atlanta, I have only had to sack 2 people in that time and that was for performance issues which they were warned and written up on before they were fired.
I think you just must be a poor manager, where as I have been promoted twice in 3 years and make over $150,000. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
As a manager I actually think it is a good thing, you can clear out the deadwood without any of the hassles you'd have in the UK. Keeps people on the top of their game.
SAD.
Beware of those you kick on the way up, they will get you on the way down.
Frank R.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your staff are only as good as their management. My staff take calculated risks when needed and are cautious when needed, they are encouraged and rewarded for their efforts and achevements, both verbally, $$$ and other tokens of appriciation like leaving early etc. I have a very low turnover, only one person has left my department in the last 3 years and that was becasue her husband was got a job in Atlanta, I have only had to sack 2 people in that time and that was for performance issues which they were warned and written up on before they were fired.
I think you just must be a poor manager, where as I have been promoted twice in 3 years and make over $150,000. I guess you get what you pay for.

Wow...yippee...are we supposed to be impressed?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 20th 2006 at 11:14 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

California is supposedly an at-will State, and employers will often write their employment contracts that way, but in reality it's really hard to get rid of the "deadwood" as others suggest - State law gives them huge protection and pretty much any lawyer can find lots of reasons for compensation anytime someone gets treated less than royally. I work for a large company and you find bad employees get passed from one department to another because it's much easier to encourage them to make a move than it is to "manage them out".
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Both Maine and Mass are right to fire states.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:13 pm
I Beg To Differ

BE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond repute

Dropping in to see the fisticuffs...whose got the popcorn.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wow...yippee...are we supposed to be impressed?
I am, $150,000 and he can't write properly.

Ain't America great.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Oct 20th 2006 at 11:22 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Your first sentence is utter bollox. I've known good people carry crap managers and crap people get rewarded by incompetent managers. Sure a good manager can be part of a good team but to suggest the manager makes or breaks the staff is conceited and delusional.

PS. I work for the personal satisfaction not how many $$$ I can make. Because - and I realise this may be a difficult concept - $$$ do not equate to happiness.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:29 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

How very, very funny! Painfully funny in fact.

Mate, I make rather a lot more than that. Was I supposed to be impressed?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
PS. I work for the personal satisfaction not how many $$$ I can make. Because - and I realise this may be a difficult concept - $$$ do not equate to happiness.
With that mentality, you have no place working here in the states.
Go directly to England, do not pass Go or collect a salary of $60,000.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gardnma
With that mentality, you have no place working here in the states.
Go directly to England, do not pass Go or collect a salary of $60,000.
Woohooo can I? Can I? Please please...oh wait.. I am!!!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:32 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...and the people frozen by fear of losing their jobs don't report to me. My team knows that they can take risks and make mistakes without such fear, so long as they can defend their decisions, and as a result are highly effective. People reporting to tough-man managers who constantly threaten their jobs over minor mistakes and misjudgements are the ones who suffer in a right-to-work state.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

...and the people frozen by fear of losing their jobs don't report to me. My team knows that they can take risks and make mistakes without such fear, so long as they can defend their decisions, and as a result are highly effective. People reporting to tough-man managers who constantly threaten their jobs over minor mistakes and misjudgements are the ones who suffer in a right-to-work state.
Four little words:

"Its only a job"

Somewhere along to path of seeking money, glory and career status people tend to forget this. I know, I have at times.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

But perhaps you work in part of a business that fuctions well that way.
Banks, insurance companies, etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.