British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   will a visa be required? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/will-visa-required-325844/)

candy wy. Sep 14th 2005 2:01 pm

will a visa be required?

if someone goes back to the UK with no intention of returning to the US to live, therefore abandoning there green card. would they then have to apply for a visa to enter the US for holidays? or could they still use the VWP?

Englishmum Sep 14th 2005 2:12 pm

Re: will a visa be required?

My daughter had an L2 visa which was no longer valid when she turned 21. She is at university in London and had no problem entering the States on a visa waiver.

It might be worth asking to speak with an immigration officer at the US airport before departure asking what they would advise (they're very helpful at Newark believe it or not LOL!).

I reckon it would be fine if you can prove your intention to return to the UK if an Immigration Officer asks at the port of entry eg. if you things you could show them like a mortgage or rental lease, council tax payment record, job in the UK (perhaps a letter from your employer stating when you're expected back at work after your holiday) and of course a valid return air ticket back to Blighty!

cindyabs Sep 14th 2005 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy.
if someone goes back to the UK with no intention of returning to the US to live, therefore abandoning there green card. would they then have to apply for a visa to enter the US for holidays? or could they still use the VWP?

You could always email the Embassy in London.

Ray Sep 14th 2005 2:31 pm

Get a re-entry permit before you go ... give you more time ..

candy wy. Sep 14th 2005 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Get a re-entry permit before you go ... give you more time ..

that is something that i have thought about.

Ray Sep 14th 2005 2:45 pm

that is something that i have thought about.

Re-Entry Permit
Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more. For LPR’s returning to the U.S., re-entry permits are generally valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit. The LPR should apply for this benefit before leaving the U.S.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 14th 2005 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Re-Entry Permit
Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more. For LPR’s returning to the U.S., re-entry permits are generally valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit. The LPR should apply for this benefit before leaving the U.S.

But you still have to maintain the US as your permanent place of residence, I thought?

Ray Sep 14th 2005 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
But you still have to maintain the US as your permanent place of residence, I thought?

There is more to the story ..not told here ...

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 14th 2005 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
There is more to the story ..not told here ...

Fair enough

candy wy. Sep 14th 2005 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler

maintaining residency is not a problem:) the reentry permit seems the best way for now, after the 2 years i will have to check with the embassy if a visa is required.