Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will US immigration make a big deal out of me staying for 3 months?

Old May 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

bocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will US immigration make a big deal out of me staying for 3 months?

Hello forum,

I'm a Brit. I've been in a long distance relationship with my American girlfriend for 5 years. I'm hoping to take a trip to the US this month,for the 90 days, just to be with her and to test the waters before moving permanently over there next year or so.

I want to know if the US immigration are going to give me a hard time and question me left right and centre (and possibly not allow me in the country) when they hear I'm staying that long. It's really nothing more than a long holiday.

I'm obviously not going to be working. I'm a recent uni graduate and I have my savings which I'm going to live off while I'm there. Also my girlfriend is going to move in with me so she will contribute money wise...and stuff..

I want to know if this is going to be a problem. I'm a bit confused. We do plan on getting married at some point maybe next year, but should we sort it out now? Should we do the K1 now? Didn't really want to do that stuff yet, but if it's going to make life easier, then....
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will US immigration make a big deal out of me staying for 3 months?

How would they know how long you intend to stay?
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

I've been to the US about 10 times in recent years, and I've always been asked how long I'm staying and for what reason. Should I just lie?
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:37 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bocker
I've been to the US about 10 times in recent years, and I've always been asked how long I'm staying and for what reason. Should I just lie?
You know the answer to that one, and yes 9 times outta 10 they will ask you, "how long are you staying for"
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You know the answer to that one
No, I don't. That's why I asked....
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
How would they know how long you intend to stay?
Because he will have to have a return ticket to the UK.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't. That's why I asked....
Never lie to Immigration, its the golden rule.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to plan your return to the UK just short of 90 days. This allows for flight delays/cancellations...you do not want to overstay the 90 days.

Should you lie? Now what do you think? Should you lie to someone who can bring up all sorts of info on you with a press of a button?
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Because he will have to have a return ticket to the UK.
I hear it's possible to change the date of the return flight with the carrier.

But yeah, slippery slope.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It is possible with some tickets.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:56 pm

True, but I don't know how many times you would get away with it
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Guys, I can appreciate it's a lazy Sunday and some of you are a bit dopey and/or hung over from the previous night, but I would really appreciate some proper answers.

I refer you back to the title of my thread:

Cheers.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:14 pm

Guys, I can appreciate it's a lazy Sunday and some of you are a bit dopey and/or hung over from the previous night, but I would really appreciate some proper answers.

I refer you back to the title of my thread:

Cheers.
The proper answer is YES they may well make a meal outta it.

No don't lie.

Do we know what will happen when the POA officer pulls you to the front of his cubicle NO.

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they will make a big deal out of it if you're doing it for the first time, purely based on my personal experience.

I travelled in and out on a visa waiver for 3 years and each time stayed no less than 2 months and mostly very close to 3 months. I got questioned about it only after 3 years of doing it. They pulled me to the back area and I had a second tier interview. They gave me a very hard time, but becuase everything was legit, they let me go with just a warning that next time I return, it shouldn't be without at least a 5 months absence from the US.

As for your return ticket, I would suggest getting it for around the 2 month mark and then changing your mind when you are in the US and changing the return date to just under the 90 days.

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

jmood, your experience is quite unique. Maybe you should wail until your own issue is solved before encouraging others.

More and more people are caught out doing what you did. I'm glad for you that it worked out ok, but your experience is quite individual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.