Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

Originally Posted by Tolos
What's the obsession with planes anyway? A cruise ship holds tons more people, and you never hear of them being blown up.
Much more difficult -- the depressurisation methods wouldn't work, and without one hell of a bomb, people would be able to evacuate.

There are also fewer opportunities to target cruise ships as there are less of them on the oceans than planes in the sky.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the obsession with planes anyway? A cruise ship holds tons more people, and you never hear of them being blown up.
shhh that could be their very next target
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:04 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Much more difficult -- the depressurisation methods wouldn't work, and without one hell of a bomb, people would be able to evacuate.

There are also fewer opportunities to target cruise ships as there are less of them on the oceans than planes in the sky.
Good points, interesting. I think I'm gonna sail home next time...just keep my eyes peeled for icebergs...
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:04 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

No they sink :scared:

I admit to occasionally having the roll on hand luggage, but to be honest i usually have checked luggage too (i just love to shop LOL). Wouldnt end my world at all not having large amounts of hand luggage. As long as i have my essentials, the flight attendants just better give me my booze so i can sleep
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
The amount of carry on luggage that people take on has got OTT these past 10 years, I'm all for change, even though I do travel with a little one.
The package I take has always been little.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
The amount of carry on luggage that people take on has got OTT these past 10 years, I'm all for change, even though I do travel with a little one.
My diaper bag is quite small compared to most, but as long as they let me take some nappies, wipes, sippy cups & a few toys on board for Tyler, then we should be able to make it without the diaper bag, although I'll need it once we get to England. I wonder if they are letting these items go in the checked luggage?

I am a bit annoyed that I might not be able to take my brand new $250, bought it especially for the trip, portable DVD player to entertain my son, should he get irritable on the plane. I understand why they're doing it, which makes me feel better about it, as long as they are consistent, then I won't mind as much. However, if I get on the plane & see some business man/woman or whoever using one or something similar & they made me leave mine behind, then I'm gonna be pissed off!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:19 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
My diaper bag is quite small compared to most, but as long as they let me take some nappies, wipes, sippy cups & a few toys on board for Tyler, then we should be able to make it without the diaper bag, although I'll need it once we get to England. I wonder if they are letting these items go in the checked luggage?

I am a bit annoyed that I might not be able to take my brand new $250, bought it especially for the trip, portable DVD player to entertain my son, should he get irritable on the plane. I understand why they're doing it, which makes me feel better about it, as long as they are consistent, then I won't mind as much. However, if I get on the plane & see some business man/woman or whoever using one or something similar & they made me leave mine behind, then I'm gonna be pissed off!
From everything I have read you can take those items in your checked baggage. The real threat was from multipart liquid explosives that you would have to combine on the plane to be effective. That's why they are all ok in the hold.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:22 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
From everything I have read you can take those items in your checked baggage. The real threat was from multipart liquid explosives that you would have to combine on the plane to be effective. That's why they are all ok in the hold.

I agree, i heard that you can put everything you would normally take that isnt allowed, into checked luggage. Altho i don't know if i would want to check my laptop. I can't see laptops and all electronics being banned long-term (business passengers would be in an uproar), but who knows.. just have to wait and see.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Something I heard earlier was that shares in the company that runs most of the UK's Duty Free stores have plummeted. I think they will be the first victim if the ban on carry on goods continues.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No hand luggage would not stop me flying but it should be addressed with the airlines providing more of the things that passengers cannot carry, like contact lens solution.
I agree. I wear lenses and I usually take them out a couple of hours into the Phoenix to London flight (which I'm taking on the 4th Sept), as it's a night flight. I guess if all liquids are banned I won't be able to do this, as I won't be able to take my lens solution onto the plane. If so I guess I'll have to wear my glasses, which is a nuisance, but I'd quite happily put up with it for the safety of myself and everyone else on the plane.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:25 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

My original point was it's just not the American way. I think it's a good thing although at many US airports, baggage claim is a JOKE !!!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
I think we'll see a number of airlines collapes - especially thise already in chapter 11 - my prediction.
based on what assumption? because of today?

I think this suits Delta and Northwest (Chapter 11 airlines) better than most as neither airline fly to LHR due to Bermuda II contraints.

This will severely affect United and AA, and obviously BA and Virgin whom are the only airlines allowed to fly US - LHR direct.

Indeed Northwest may benefit as their main European city is Amsterdam.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
The package I take has always been little.
LOL poor chap.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

The terrorism thing is all smoke and mirrors. They're just trying to distract us from the main reason for the ban on non-transparent hand luggage:

they don't want copycats re-enacting Snakes on a Plane and sneaking a couple of 100ft boas in their carry-ons.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:46 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by cinnabar
The terrorism thing is all smoke and mirrors. They're just trying to distract us from the main reason for the ban on non-transparent hand luggage:

they don't want copycats re-enacting Snakes on a Plane and sneaking a couple of 100ft boas in their carry-ons.

lol.
Snakes On A Plane!!!!!!!!! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.