Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:28 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

OK, liquids cannot be detected at Airports so shaving cream, toothpaste, hairspray, hair gel, shampoo, perfume will all be banned from hand-luggage.

In fact, because they can't tell if you have "liquids" everything has to be hand searched and even they, liquids are EASILY hidden, this might be the end of hand baggage as we know it!! Heck, if you took one of the chemicals in a zip lock and put it on an inside pocket - CAN IT BE DETECTED :scared:

Since Americans are determined to ALWAYS travel with hand-luggage and zero checked-in, what chance is their for the American way of travel.

I think we'll see a number of airlines collapes - especially thise already in chapter 11 - my prediction.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:38 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will US Airlines survive - I think not!!

thanks for the word of encouragement for those of us that have our living with the airlines
After 9/11 my husband lost his job and was unemployed for 2 yrs. Being selfish I don't want that to happen again!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Part of wanting to travel with carry-on is because the airlines "disappear" so much luggage that a change of clothes and toiletries are exactly what people want to bring.

I guess I might wear four pairs of panties (in layers) now!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:43 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
OK, liquids cannot be detected at Airports so shaving cream, toothpaste, hairspray, hair gel, shampoo, perfume will all be banned from hand-luggage.

In fact, because they can't tell if you have "liquids" everything has to be hand searched and even they, liquids are EASILY hidden, this might be the end of hand baggage as we know it!! Heck, if you took one of the chemicals in a zip lock and put it on an inside pocket - CAN IT BE DETECTED :scared:

Since Americans are determined to ALWAYS travel with hand-luggage and zero checked-in, what chance is their for the American way of travel.

I think we'll see a number of airlines collapes - especially thise already in chapter 11 - my prediction.
I think there will be long term adjustments to hand luggage, but i don't think it will be as severe as they are right now. Don't know if a change in hand luggage allowances will really be that severe to US airlines. Would it stop anyone here from flying?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:43 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Part of wanting to travel with carry-on is because the airlines "disappear" so much luggage that a change of clothes and toiletries are exactly what people want to bring.

The problem with that is it will make you hotter and the new thermal image scanners they are introducing will pick you up as a "nervous" sweater and get you tagged for "personal" treatment.

You are spot on as the reason for carry ons. Expensive equipment and/or personal items is all too easily lost by baggage handlers.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
I think there will be long term adjustments to hand luggage, but i don't think it will be as severe as they are right now. Don't know if a change in hand luggage allowances will really be that severe to US airlines. Would it stop anyone here from flying?
hand luggage was getting way out of hand pardon the pun often on heavy landing i've had my fingers crossed that the overhead bins haven't dropped down with the contents falling out and injuring the pax then guess what surprise surprise the punters would be suing the airline....so in answer to your question nope it won't stop me flying one teeny bit..love it
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lord. It's gonna look like a grilled cheese sandwich in there by the time you land.
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I'll be too disappointed if they ban hand luggage. The amount of times I've been banged in the head when someone is trying to hoist an over sized bag into the locker is ridiculous. They should make the bags smaller, or do a strength test at the terminal to see if they can pick the bags over their heads *lol*. Or maybe my head's just too big...
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:49 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hand luggage was getting way out of hand pardon the pun often on heavy landing i've had my fingers crossed that the overhead bins haven't dropped down with the contents falling out and injuring the pax then guess what surprise surprise the punters would be suing the airline....so in answer to your question nope it won't stop me flying one teeny bit..love it
I agree with this. Hand luggage used to be a handbag, laptop, or a small flight bag to hold wallets, a magazine, candy, etc, for the flight. Yet people kept pushing it and taking the piss until eventually they were carrying on small-to-medium sized rolling cases and taking up entire overheard cabins.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of carry on luggage that people take on has got OTT these past 10 years, I'm all for change, even though I do travel with a little one.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:51 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

travellers taking everything as hand lugagge has gone on for far too long. How many times have you travelled back from the UK with your 2 checked bags and your one small hand luggage to find some fat sweaty muppet has stuffed everything as hand luggage, forcing you to sit with your luggage under your seat the whole journey. I can't count the times I see people forcing oversized bags in to the overhead locker.
More items checked in the hold, thats what is was designed for.

Originally Posted by franc11s
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:52 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
No, it certainly wouldn't.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

No hand luggage would not stop me flying but it should be addressed with the airlines providing more of the things that passengers cannot carry, like contact lens solution. I'm an extremely anxious flyer and admit that it will unnerve me to not be able to bring on things that help me relax, like my own mini-pillow and blanket, but I'll just have to deal with that one somehow.

On the other hand, going to no hand luggage still won't eradicate the threat. The access to the plane by low-paid service workers who aren't vetted to a high security level will be next.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:00 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

No hand luggage would not stop me flying but it should be addressed with the airlines providing more of the things that passengers cannot carry, like contact lens solution. I'm an extremely anxious flyer and admit that it will unnerve me to not be able to bring on things that help me relax, like my own mini-pillow and blanket, but I'll just have to deal with that one somehow.

On the other hand, going to no hand luggage still won't eradicate the threat. The access to the plane by low-paid service workers who aren't vetted to a high security level will be next.
What's the obsession with planes anyway? A cruise ship holds tons more people, and you never hear of them being blown up.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

things that help me relax, like my own mini-pillow and blanket, .
that reminds me i've seen pax in the airports and on both uk and usa airlines toting with them a normal bed size pillow ffs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.