British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Will UK bankruptcy affect US credit rating? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/will-uk-bankruptcy-affect-us-credit-rating-829367/)

ptnr Mar 23rd 2014 7:21 am

Will UK bankruptcy affect US credit rating?

I am considering UK bankruptcy for a large amount of shortfall on my UK property as the last option. Can somebody tell me whether this will affect my credit rating in US? I have heard that the Official receiver may inform my US bank about the bankruptcy, but I also read that credit files are not transferable between UK and US. Anyone with any knowledge, please throw some light. This is stressing me out. Thanks

civilservant Mar 23rd 2014 11:01 am

Re: Will UK bankruptcy affect US credit rating?

If you were not yet in the US I would have said no, but if you are resident in the US then your income/assets there can be applied to any payments made under a bankruptcy order. Perhaps a good idea to discuss this with an attorney in the US too.

notonuksoil Mar 23rd 2014 12:59 pm

If the property is an investment property that you rent out can you not sell it at a loss and then claim the capitol loss on your US tax return? Not sure if you can do this if it was your primary residence prior to moving to the US.

ptnr Mar 23rd 2014 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11186532)
If you were not yet in the US I would have said no, but if you are resident in the US then your income/assets there can be applied to any payments made under a bankruptcy order. Perhaps a good idea to discuss this with an attorney in the US too.

I dont have any assets here in the US and my income is just enough to meet the needs of 3 member family. I do have good credit history in US, which I dont want to spoil. Main thing I want to find out is whether my US credit would be affected?

dunroving Mar 24th 2014 8:52 am

Regardless of whether it will appear on a US credit rating, would you not have to declare it on most applications for any new major source of credit (loan, mortgage, credit card)? I seem to remember questions about previous bankruptcies (or loan defaults, maybe both) on my mortgage application ...

NatashaB Mar 24th 2014 1:43 pm

I was a discharged bankrupt when I moved to the US, but was still under the 3 year income payment order. I notified my trustee about the move and told him that I wouldn't be working for a few months whilst I waited for my EAD. I completed new income forms when I got a job, and the trustee decided they weren't going to take any further payments based on the low level of spare income I had, and closed the case. I have never been asked about it when opening an account here (although I imagine a mortgage application would ask, but that's in my husband's name only) and it's had no impact on my US credit score.

caber Mar 25th 2014 1:18 pm

The UK and US Credit Bureaus do not share information. Experian has a UK and US buisness but due to different laws they do not share that information. Therefore unless you self report at time of application for new credit anyone pulling your Credit Bureau History in the US will not see a UK Bankruptcy.

Now if you are new to the US you will have no credit history. So a thin Credit File and not enough information to be able to calculate a credit score. You will find it not so easy to access credit initially irrespective of your past credit history in the UK.

dunroving Mar 25th 2014 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by caber (Post 11189901)
The UK and US Credit Bureaus do not share information. Experian has a UK and US buisness but due to different laws they do not share that information. Therefore unless you self report at time of application for new credit anyone pulling your Credit Bureau History in the US will not see a UK Bankruptcy.

Now if you are new to the US you will have no credit history. So a thin Credit File and not enough information to be able to calculate a credit score. You will find it not so easy to access credit initially irrespective of your past credit history in the UK.

- of course if asked, to do otherwise would be fraudulent. ;)

Robert Bell Oct 26th 2014 1:05 pm

I agree with caber ......

Hotscot Nov 6th 2014 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Bell (Post 11463425)
It will must effect on UK <snip url>] .....

Spammer...

Nutek Nov 6th 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11463457)
Spammer...

Yum.

Robert Bell Dec 6th 2014 4:21 pm

How, Please explain me with detail ???