Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will my ..... work in the US?

Will my ..... work in the US?

Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice
Post Will my ..... work in the US?

I'm sorting through things to take with us to the States and wondering if the following things will work over there...

- Multi-Region DVD Player
- Broadband Router
- Desktop Computer

...I'll be back when I think of/find more things! I'm stocking up on plug adaptors in the meantime!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my ..... work in the US?

All depends on the power cords. Take a look at the power 'brick' attached to each and see if they will support 110-220v input.
Your desktop will likely have a switch on the back (often red) that says 220/110 (don't flip it while over there and plugged in or you'll blow up your computer). If that is the case, yes, it will.

Your router probably has a brick that is 110/220.

DVD player likely does NOT have 110/220 but take a look.

But the normal advice is to sell everything and buy new ones over here. Generally they are cheaper here and you'll have the newest newest shiny thing instead of the old stuff from home.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

But the normal advice is to sell everything and buy new ones over here. Generally they are cheaper here and you'll have the newest newest shiny thing instead of the old stuff from home.
And warranties!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:17 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

My .... works perfectly well, and both my wife and I are very grateful for the fact!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
My .... works perfectly well, and both my wife and I are very grateful for the fact!
Is it still under warranty?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aaarrrggg
I'm sorting through things to take with us to the States and wondering if the following things will work over there...

- Broadband Router
- Desktop Computer

...I'll be back when I think of/find more things! I'm stocking up on plug adaptors in the meantime!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Aaarrrggg

- Broadband Router
- Desktop Computer

Computer's the only thing I would bring, and then only if it has a dual voltage power supply (which many do). By router, I assume you mean a wireless router, in which case probably not becuase I believe the European ones use different channels than in the US that might make them illegal. Plus the fact they're so cheap here anyway (if you buy online). Same with DVD player -- if it's multi-voltage then perhaps, espeically if you want to watch British DVDs, but DVD players cost as little as $80 here now and even a decent blu-ray player is only a couple hundred.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:12 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Is it still under warranty?
It's vintage, that's for sure...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

The OP might have to reset the region/locale for the wireless router (if it is indeed one) to get it to work. I wouldn't really bother and get a new one given that the access technologies most commonly used are somewhat different in the US (cable modem, for example).
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
The OP might have to reset the region/locale for the wireless router (if it is indeed one) to get it to work.
Yep -- the frequencies are different. I'd buy a new wireless router -- $50
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:26 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- the frequencies are different. I'd buy a new wireless router -- $50
It's actually illegal to operate a non-US wireless router here.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

However you'll find that most companies don't make routers for US, Cuba or the rest of the world - all you need to do is set the correct location, which you can usually do via the router's admin interface.

Otherwise they'd hardly carry an FCC sticker .
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:38 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

for 802.11 b, g or n - which is probably what the OP has, the only difference between the US and the UK is that channels 12 and 13 aren't allowed in the US.

So, stay off those two (leaving you 11 to play with) and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
And warranties!
Won't miss anything there, warranties here aren't worth poo.

DVD player, not worth it, don't have scart in the US and the output is probably PAL, so not work over here....plus they're cheap as chips, $40 for a multi region Philips player.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Haha, glad to hear it! I was originally going to call the thread "Will my XXX work in the US?" but I figured it read even worse!

Great advice, thanks everyone! My husband and our friend built the PC so I'll get them to check if there's a way to switch it over.

I might chuck the router in the suitcase and hope it works, I can always bin it if it proves troublesome. Thanks for the info about the channels!

The DVD player is quite a good one so I might still bring it if won't cost much more to ship. We're shipping over a few bits and pieces anyway so it hopefully won't make too much of a difference. If it doesn't work, we'll just get a new one. It has other inputs are well as scart so theres a chance it might work. (By the way... great to hear they don't do scart over there... man I hate scart!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.