Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

will my US computer work back in the UK?

will my US computer work back in the UK?

Old Jan 11th 2005, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Muffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question will my US computer work back in the UK?

I am moving back to the UK very soon and just wondered if my computer with the right adaptor would work in the UK? Also i am aware that the TV won't show British TV programs but could i get it to play us dvd's and run the US ps 2, so what i'm asking is if anyone knows if it will work with 110v60hz electricity supply purley to watch my US
dvd's and play my US colection of games as i know they will not play on an English TV.If so does anyone know where to get the adaptors from???????????
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will my US computer work back in the UK?

Originally Posted by Muffy
I am moving back to the UK very soon and just wondered if my computer with the right adaptor would work in the UK? Also i am aware that the TV won't show British TV programs but could i get it to play us dvd's and run the US ps 2, so what i'm asking is if anyone knows if it will work with 110v60hz electricity supply purley to watch my US
dvd's and play my US colection of games as i know they will not play on an English TV.If so does anyone know where to get the adaptors from???????????

1. your pc uses a power supply... 90% of the time that power supply can be swapped out for a UK (50hz, 240V) one... see most computing suppliers for the exact model you need.

2. your tv WILL NOT run UK programs (NTSC) unless you paid a LOT of money for it such that it does accept PAL. The manaul WILL tell you this... search online for the model if you no longer have the manual

3. for your US dvd's, go to ADSA in the UK and buy their cheapest DVD player, then google for "DVD region hack XXX" inserting the name and model of your player in the place of XXX... no need to bring your player over from the US... this will allow a UK player to play ALL region DVD's

4. PS2 WILL require a power convertor in order to play US games in an unhacked form. OR you could dump the Ps2 and buy a UK pre-hacked PS2 which would allow you to play ANY games on your PS2.

I would recommend NOT going for a power/video convertor as this is THE most expensive option.

andy
games programmer
LA, California (from UK originally)
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:11 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Your computer should have a switch on the back so that you can use it in the UK. Usually a little red button above the PSU, this allows you to switch between 240 and 110 v. If its laptop don't even worry about it just change the plug and it will work fine.

As for the rest of the stuff, what he said.

Patrick
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: will my US computer work back in the UK?

Originally Posted by USBound
3. for your US dvd's, go to ADSA in the UK and buy their cheapest DVD player, then google for "DVD region hack XXX" inserting the name and model of your player in the place of XXX... no need to bring your player over from the US... this will allow a UK player to play ALL region DVD's

The best DVD player if you're going to do this is the Cyberhome 300 or 320 which you can buy in Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, K Mart etc. It costs $39.99

It has dual voltage (110v/240v) unlike most other DVD players on the US market and will play with no problems in the UK (just need to go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com and look up the hack for it....you just press a few buttons on the remote control.

I play UK DVDs all the time on our Cyberhomes (we have two of them and bought another one for our daughter who is at uni in London - she plays US DVDs on hers!)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you'll also be using UK computers, you'll want to re-program your US keyboard and switch some of the keys around. Otherwise it might get confusing.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:36 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Most UK TVs will also accept NTSC video input, so if you did power convert the PS2 you won't need a US TV.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:13 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
Most UK TVs will also accept NTSC video input, so if you did power convert the PS2 you won't need a US TV.
Agreed. I had a US PS2 in the UK, I spent 30 quid for a power convertor and the TV did the rest.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: will my US computer work back in the UK?

1. your pc uses a power supply... 90% of the time that power supply can be swapped out for a UK (50hz, 240V) one... see most computing suppliers for the exact model you need.

2. your tv WILL NOT run UK programs (NTSC) unless you paid a LOT of money for it such that it does accept PAL. The manaul WILL tell you this... search online for the model if you no longer have the manual

4. PS2 WILL require a power convertor in order to play US games in an unhacked form. OR you could dump the Ps2 and buy a UK pre-hacked PS2 which would allow you to play ANY games on your PS2.

I would recommend NOT going for a power/video convertor as this is THE most expensive option.

andy
games programmer
LA, California (from UK originally)
Thankyou for all that advice it has helped me so much
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The best DVD player if you're going to do this is the Cyberhome 300 or 320 which you can buy in Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, K Mart etc. It costs $39.99

It has dual voltage (110v/240v) unlike most other DVD players on the US market and will play with no problems in the UK (just need to go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com and look up the hack for it....you just press a few buttons on the remote control.

I play UK DVDs all the time on our Cyberhomes (we have two of them and bought another one for our daughter who is at uni in London - she plays US DVDs on hers!)

Thanks a lot
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: will my US computer work back in the UK?

Originally Posted by Englishmum

that's great thanks
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you'll also be using UK computers, you'll want to re-program your US keyboard and switch some of the keys around. Otherwise it might get confusing.
wonderful thankyou
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thought that was made illegal in blighty a couple months ago though, getting a hacked player or getting a chip online these days?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by James Box
Thankyou so much
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had two PC'S built and we were told by the guy that did it that when we go back to the UK the power pack inside the PC can be changed to work in the UK, not sure if you can do it with a shop bought PC or how much it will be but it might be worth looking in to.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodsey
We have just had two PC'S built and we were told by the guy that did it that when we go back to the UK the power pack inside the PC can be changed to work in the UK, not sure if you can do it with a shop bought PC or how much it will be but it might be worth looking in to.
I brought my tower desktop PC with me from the UK, which didn't have a voltage changer on the PSU.

It cost $20 for a new 110v PSU, and took five minutes to undo the four screws, swap out the old 240v PSU and replace it with the new one.

Painless, and up and running in minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.