Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will my money be taxed?

Will my money be taxed?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

graeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nice
Default Will my money be taxed?

I am very shortly moving to Washington DC. I have sold both a business and my home. When I transfer the money to the US will there be any tax implications?

Thanks

Graeme
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my money be taxed?

A simple transfer of funds into the US is not a taxable event.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

As Bill says.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Yep - what Bill and Dan said.

"Render unto Caesar". If taxes are due on your capital gains, it depends which Caesar you are subject to at that time. A separate subject.

Last edited by farmerwife; Apr 7th 2008 at 2:41 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by farmerwife
If taxes are due on your capital gains, it depends which Caesar you are subject to at that time. A separate subject.
Provided you realise the capital gain prior to relocating to the US, the relevant Caesar should be the UK, but you could need to consider carefully how to file your US taxes for this year, as the default position is likely to treat you as a US resident for the whole of 2008 (and so owing US capital gains tax on all worldwide gains in 2008).
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
Provided you realise the capital gain prior to relocating to the US, the relevant Caesar should be the UK, but you could need to consider carefully how to file your US taxes for this year, as the default position is likely to treat you as a US resident for the whole of 2008 (and so owing US capital gains tax on all worldwide gains in 2008).
You seem like the right person to confirm this.. is it your understanding that entry with an Immigrant Visa (rendering the individual a Permanent Resident/green card immediately) makes one subject to the 'report worldwide income' basis for the entire year?
ex: my DH entered in November and was subject to the PR test for the entire calendar year.

It made no difference to us at the time, but I want to make sure I have the correct understanding.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
You seem like the right person to confirm this.. is it your understanding that entry with an Immigrant Visa (rendering the individual a Permanent Resident/green card immediately) makes one subject to the 'report worldwide income' basis for the entire year?
ex: my DH entered in November and was subject to the PR test for the entire calendar year.
I think you're right: there are two things that will make an alien "resident" for tax purposes - "substantial presence" (basically in the US for more than half the year) or the "green card test".

You then have two ways to avoid paying tax on the non-US income: "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" (where residents/citizens can exclude up to $85000 of foreign earned income) or filing a first year "Dual Status" return (where you split the year into "nonresident" and "resident" parts).

[Info gleaned from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf and hanging out on BritishExpats...]
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

It made no difference to us at the time, but I want to make sure I have the correct understanding.
Hmm, I'm not sure on that either - I wouldn't bet on the the entire year, probably a percentage thereof would be my uninformed off the cuff guess.