Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will my child need to file taxes in US when old enough

Will my child need to file taxes in US when old enough

Old Jan 7th 2020, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my child need to file taxes in US when old enough

Originally Posted by penguinsix
One point worth noting is that "age 18" is not the determining factor for whether you have to file taxes. "Income" is the determining factor. Does she have income (jobs, dividends, capital gains, etc)? They don't really care how old you are.

While I'm not fully versed in the US-Canada tax treaty, I should note as a general rule if your daughter has income over $12,000 she needs to "file" a tax return. She would not need to "pay" any taxes as she would be under the foreign income exclusion or whatever section of the US-Canada tax treaty, but she still would have to fill out the forms.

The tricky bit is this (and this also applies to your wife): while ~$90,000 in foreign income can be 'excluded' from your overall income for US tax purposes (and thus, eliminate the need to pay taxes), to qualify for this exclusion you MUST file the tax return. If you don't file, you don't get the exclusion. If you don't get the exclusion, you could have a tax liability. It's a kind of paperwork shuffle, but basically, you need to file even if you don't owe taxes, especially if overseas. Note also if she is filing taxes that may affect your wife's tax filing if she claims her as a 'dependent'.

In addition, please note the requirement for FBAR filings for US citizens abroad, again also not age dependent. If she has > $10,000 USD in total in all of her bank account combined where she has signing authority (i.e. a joint checking account with you, a personal savings account she has, etc) than she needs to file an FBAR each year listing all of her bank accounts. Yet another annoying form.

Here is some more information, including the dreaded FATCA filing (which I didn't list for now but will also one day be something she will need to deal with).

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/artic...or-minors.html
thanks for useful information, my wife does file taxes each year despite the net owed being zero. This is first year we will file since our daughter was born so have not previously claimed as dependent.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Is there anyway of stopping this should we wish I.e. renouncing her US citizenship?
You clearly have some sort of philosophical or political objection to your child being a US Citizen, and you're perfectly entitled to feel the way that you do about the situation.

What's NOT permitted is for you to force your philosophical and political beliefs onto your child, which you would be doing if you took HER citizenship away from HER.

Renunciation must be a conscious act, and that's a decision that she can make for herself when she is old enough - you don't get to decide to take that away from her before she is old enough to even comprehend the ramifications of that decision.

As Pulaski has mooted, there's probably very little consequences to just leaving this well alone and doing nothing until your daughter is old enough for it to really matter...
Old Jan 7th 2020, 3:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of those threads that makes me wonder if the internet was just designed to cause an argument over everything.

Is she a USC? Yes. Do USCs need to file a tax retirn on worldwide income? Yes

Will it matter if the US doesn't know she exists? Probably not.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for useful information, my wife does file taxes each year despite the net owed being zero. This is first year we will file since our daughter was born so have not previously claimed as dependent.
So you have some time.

Basically a few points on being a US Citizen overseas:

1) Taxes, as noted.
2) FBAR, as noted
3) FATCA, which is a real pain but might not be an issue.
4) Military conscription. At the moment women do not have to register for military service at age 18, but men do. No one has been conscripted ('drafted') in over 40 years so not a real big deal, but a form nonetheless. Note: recent court cases are saying women will have to register. More on this in the coming years.
5) Enter and exit the USA on a USA passport. Techncially, as an American, she is not to enter the USA on a foreign passport. Another one of those 'well they might not know' kind of things.
6) She may be called to jury duty one day (unlikely if not resident).

One final point that isn't really an issue now but maybe one day: if your daughter owns > 10% of a foreign company (even so much as her and a friend opening a babysitting company in Canada) she can have a very very onerous tax reporting form. When she gets entrepreneurial and looks to start a company, there are some added tax filing requirements being an American abroad.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
.... 6) She may be called to jury duty one day (unlikely if not resident). ...
Given that AFAIK US states (always?) register potential jurors on the registered voting database which is linked to driver registration, I don't see how anyone could be "accidentally" summoned for jury duty if they don't currently, and have never lived in the US.

Given that jury service is "local" it is unlikely that a court would even mail out a jury summons to a non-US, or even out of state, address. And per the above noted link between potential jurors and the drivers license database, I think you'd have a problem even trying to register a non-US address for a US state drivers license.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2020 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given that AFAIK US states (always?) register potential jurors on a database linked to driver registration, I don't see how anyone could be "accidentally" summoned for jury duty if they don't currently, and have never lived in the US.

Given that jury service is "local" it is unlikely that a court would even mail out a jury summons to a non-US, or even out of state, address. And per the above noted link between potential jurors and the drivers license database, I think you'd have a problem even trying to register a non-US address for a US state drivers license.
my wife doesn’t have a valid state ID in Washington (never had a DL) but was summoned last year. Wasn’t an issue she just had to reply telling them she wasn’t resident. I think they use voting records as my wife was summoned in her voting district.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

my wife doesn’t have a valid state ID in Washington (never had a DL) but was summoned last year. Wasn’t an issue she just had to reply telling them she wasn’t resident. I think they use voting records as my wife was summoned in her voting district.
So they mailed a summons to Canada? That just sounds like a SNAFU! My wife was excused jury duty when we moved two counties away and was no longer resident in the local court's jurisdiction.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it existed, by where did the law on Global income come from? Seems almost the antithesis of the founding of the Country to me. I have no plans to Naturalise, and neither do my family, so it likely will not have much of an impact on me personally, but it intrigues me.

edit: To pay for the Civil War, trust a good war to loosen the dislike of taxation.

Last edited by robtuck; Jan 7th 2020 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck
..... I have no plans to Naturalise, and neither do my family, .....
If you're a permanent resident US global taxation will bite you too.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I was insulting you .
I THINK something got lost there.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
You clearly have some sort of philosophical or political objection to your child being a US Citizen, and you're perfectly entitled to feel the way that you do about the situation.

What's NOT permitted is for you to force your philosophical and political beliefs onto your child, which you would be doing if you took HER citizenship away from HER.

Renunciation must be a conscious act, and that's a decision that she can make for herself when she is old enough - you don't get to decide to take that away from her before she is old enough to even comprehend the ramifications of that decision.

As Pulaski has mooted, there's probably very little consequences to just leaving this well alone and doing nothing until your daughter is old enough for it to really matter...
Bingo. I also wondered what the rush was when this is potentially 15-20 years down the track other than personal ideology of the father.

So they mailed a summons to Canada? That just sounds like a SNAFU! My wife was excused jury duty when we moved two counties away and was no longer resident in the local court's jurisdiction.
I was summoned (by Miami-Dade County) when I had already been living in the Middle East for several years, and had been living in Washington State for a few years before going to the ME. I had not held a Florida Drivers' Licence in years. The man on the phone was extremely rude to me - even by Miami standards - and tried to tell me I was not eligible for recusal just because I had been resident in a foreign country and different state for years, and was going to have to jet in for it anyways or risk civil penalties. I hung up on him, e-mailed in proof of residency elsewhere and never heard another thing about it and never received another summons from Miami-Dade County. This was 7-8 years ago.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by carcajou
..... I was summoned (by Miami-Dade County) when I had already been living in the Middle East for several years, and had been living in Washington State for a few years before going to the ME. I had not held a Florida Drivers' Licence in years. The man on the phone was extremely rude to me - even by Miami standards - and tried to tell me I was not eligible for recusal just because I had been resident in a foreign country and different state for years, and was going to have to jet in for it anyways or risk civil penalties. I hung up on him, e-mailed in proof of residency elsewhere and never heard another thing about it and never received another summons from Miami-Dade County. This was 7-8 years ago.
WTF?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

WTF?
Florida
Old Jan 8th 2020, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody on here not had citizenship forced upon them?

I had not thought of it that way, what would the option be?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

WTF?
Yeah I know. I knew the guy on the phone was both wrong (I had been recused previously when living out of jurisdiction) and just trying to be difficult, which is why I hung up on him and just e-mailed in my documentation.

I think it could be, the drivers' licence just stays in the system until someone manually removes it, it doesn't go away just because the licence expired or whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.