Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will I need my Degree Cert for jobs ?

Will I need my Degree Cert for jobs ?

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:07 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I need my Degree Cert for jobs ?

Originally Posted by evanio1978
what do you do for a leaving Big Davy G ?
IT
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

it's an interesting point with Background checks. I am under the impression that in the US Colleges/Universities give basic details of the degree holder to verify they attended and graduated (course/dates etc)...

Speaking to my University (Southampton) yesterday it's a different ball game. Apprently I the graduate need to approve the employer to do a background check. Apprently after 10 years of graduating records are archived and harder to locate.

There you go.... A piece of useless information for everyone.....

Not useless at all. I'm sure a lot of UKCs moving to the US have this problem.

I wonder how I would prove that I graduated from the University of X with a 2.1 in English ... years ago. I'm sure those records, if indeed they still exist, are gathering dust on a long-forgotten shelf somewhere, and trying to retrieve them would be a nightmare :scared:
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about

Do you get asked for you Certs Elveria ?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get asked for you Certs Elveria ?

Nope - I'm self-employed!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on exactly how you are coming in you probably have got a faiir wait for work authorisation anyway.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Nope - I'm self-employed!
Well if you need time off, you can perform a background check on yourself then
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:27 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second what Bob said. I am working for an investment bank as a account manager and never been asked for mine.
One thing they might check on you, to see what your credit score is like?
Seeing as you are in the financial field that is a very strong possibility, and because you will have a grand credit score of "bugger all"....Zero credit is worse than "bad credit".

More and more U.S company's are checking your credit when applying for jobs, if you can't handle your own finances, they ain't going to let you handle theirs!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

biccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant future

I got a copy of the background check they did and it was pretty thorough -- they checked my degree was legit and my credit. Now as this job was returning to the US after years in the UK, my US credit score was pretty shitty (not enough "revolving accounts") in spite of a perfect payment record before I left, but I think they understood and gave me the job anyway.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Just to jump in the conversation...

I work in Chicago for a massive international company, and they did a background check on me. But all they checked was my Social and Criminal background. They didn't look into credentials, references, etc.

In my experience so far (in my field of work which is Sales & Marketing), they care more about who you are/your personality/their gut feeling, etc. I can imagine it is different in other sectors, such as Financial Institutions.

To the OP - I'll send you a PM.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mate.

Saved enough to be OK for a year even if I dont get a job so prepared to slog it out if need be.... Happy to do anything to pay the rent.

Moving to Boston to giving myself the best chance of work by leaving in a big city.
I had four interviews for two jobs here...

I was never asked to produce a certificate for any of my qualifications from England. Nor was I asked what the American equivalent was.

On my resume I binned my English qualifications and just put the US equivalency.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

biccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant future

I was surprised to have such a thorough investigation as my job is marketing-ish, but whatever, I figured that's the US corporate world these days. Not as bad as when I went to work for the US postal service as a summer job and they did a drug test (for the postal service a psychiatric evaluation is probably more appropriate).
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biccy
...Not as bad as when I went to work for the US postal service as a summer job and they did a drug test (for the postal service a psychiatric evaluation is probably more appropriate).
loads of places take a piss test around here these days...