Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will I need a job before I can join my partner?

Will I need a job before I can join my partner?

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:00 am
Just Joined

mark7144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I need a job before I can join my partner?

I'm a real newbie with all this stuff so please forgive me. There's a very good chance that within the next few years my girlfriend will be asked to work abroad, one of those places could be Cincinnati.

My question is, if the company want to move her over there and I'm her partner (not married), will it be necessary for a company to sponsor me before I can go with her or are there any alternatives?

Last edited by mark7144; Apr 2nd 2008 at 10:07 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:16 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I need a job before I can join my partner?

Hi,

I don't think 'Partners' have any status with immigration types. Marriage is the best bet, otherwise you have to get your own visa somehow based on your job.

Check out the WIKI on ways to get a visa
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i 'think' I have read that partners can get B1 visas to accompany L1 visaholders but i dont think they can work in this circumstance. You would be better off marrying the lady as you would get an L2 automatically with which you could work - or find an employer to give you a visa yourself.

If she is not eligible for a L1 visa then I dont know if the B1 option applies. (and if its a H1 visa spouses cannot work)
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark7144
I'm a real newbie with all this stuff so please forgive me. There's a very good chance that within the next few years my girlfriend will be asked to work abroad, one of those places could be Cincinnati.

My question is, if the company want to move her over there and I'm her partner (not married), will it be necessary for a company to sponsor me before I can go with her or are there any alternatives?
Getting married would be the obvious alternative....especially if this is all likely to take place "In the next few years"
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Found this on another board:
---->
Note that this is not a "girlfriend" visa per se; it is designed for
cohabiting partners and was originally intended for those partners who
would not be able to marry. There has been some relaxation of this,
especially from Commonwealth countries; the U.K. in particular has been
quite forward-looking. (Charles is marrying Camilla, after all.)

Based on the FAM language, the OP will have to show that the girlfriend
is a "cohabiting partner."

Note, B-2 classification is also permitted for fiance(e)s of long-term
nonimmigrants. So, if the OP planned to marry the girlfriend in the
U.S., it would be permissible for the girlfriend to apply for a B-2 visa
with the explicit disclosure that she plans to marry in the U.S. and
then change status to L-2.

41.31 N11.4--Cohabitating Partners, Extended Family Members, and Other
Household Members Not Eligible for Derivative Status
(TL:VISA-567; 08-04-2003)

The B-2 classification is appropriate for aliens who are members of the
household of another alien in long-term nonimmigrant status, but who are
not eligible for derivative status under that alien's visa
classification. Such aliens may include cohabitating partners or elderly
parents of temporary workers, students, diplomats posted to the United
States, etc. B-2 classification may also be accorded to a spouse or
child who qualifies for derivative status (other than derivative A or G
status) but for whom it may be inconvenient or impossible to apply for
the proper H-4, L-2, F-2 or other derivative visa. If such individuals
plan to stay in the United States for more than six months, they should
be advised to ask the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a
one-year stay at the time they apply for admission. If needed, they may,
thereafter apply for extensions of stay, in increments of up to six
months, for the duration of the principal alien's nonimmigrant status in
the United States.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...iv/spouse.html
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark7144

Simple choice:
If you're her partner you can come over but won't be allowed to work, nor will you be able to do many things as you won't have a social security number.

If you're her spouse, you get permission to work for anyone (even yourself if you want) and a social security number.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

get married...

get your own work visa...

ditch her...

don't go...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
get married...

get your own work visa...

ditch her...

don't go...
Not necessarily in that order.