Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will I be earning enough?

Will I be earning enough?

Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will I be earning enough?

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
You do realize that being on a L1 visa you'll be stuck with the company? Meaning if you find a better opportunity with better pay in the US you won't be able to switch?
Yeah I realise.

I work for the best company I ever had though so feel my loyalty will be well rewarded in the long run. I work with good people and for a good cause which always feels good. I like the feeling of being a cog in a small (for now) business rather than a microbe within a huge one. There are nice things about both though I guess!

Last edited by delbitter; Apr 9th 2014 at 2:18 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:17 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delbitter
Yeah I realise.

I work for the best company I ever had though so feel my loyalty will be well rewarded in the long run. I like the feeling of being a cog in a small (for now) business rather than a microbe within a huge one. There are nice things about both though I guess!
Make sure you have something written in your T&C's of relocation that they will petition for a GC for you (and your wife) after a certain period of time, as well as covering your reasonable costs for relocation back to the UK if you are required to come back.

Good luck!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Make sure you have something written in your T&C's of relocation that they will petition for a GC for you (and your wife) after a certain period of time, as well as covering your reasonable costs for relocation back to the UK if you are required to come back.

Good luck!
It sounds like the OP may be in a situation somewhat similar to the OP in this thread, albeit he seems to have a greater deal of support from his employer.

In my replies to that thread I reflected on the fact that typical expats fall somewhere between the following two ends of the continuum:

Wing and a prayer - completely self-financed, no job lined up, following the dream with fingers crossed. Could end horribly.

Free ride - employer is paying for anything and everything, clued up about visas, very high salary, lots of contingencies like GC, plus a huge welcome package. Usually ends up being financially much more advantageous than staying in the UK.

The OP from this thread and the other may have to compromise in order to live the dream, so although your advice is absolutely spot-on, it may not be feasible (in which case he will have to decide if that is a deal-breaker).

I was somewhere in between, being in academia I wasn't affected by the whole H1B cap crap, got an "OK" relocation package, had a half-decent health plan and retirement package. However, I paid for an attorney for my first H1B (because otherwise I was worried my inept employer would mess it up) and often paid $2,000-$4,000 p.a. out-of-pocket travel expenses (though the latter is a bizarre aspect of most universities, not just an issue for the expats there).
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
It sounds like the OP may be in a situation somewhat similar to the OP in this thread, albeit he seems to have a greater deal of support from his employer.

In my replies to that thread I reflected on the fact that typical expats fall somewhere between the following two ends of the continuum:

Wing and a prayer - completely self-financed, no job lined up, following the dream with fingers crossed. Could end horribly.

Free ride - employer is paying for anything and everything, clued up about visas, very high salary, lots of contingencies like GC, plus a huge welcome package. Usually ends up being financially much more advantageous than staying in the UK.

The OP from this thread and the other may have to compromise in order to live the dream, so although your advice is absolutely spot-on, it may not be feasible (in which case he will have to decide if that is a deal-breaker).

I was somewhere in between, being in academia I wasn't affected by the whole H1B cap crap, got an "OK" relocation package, had a half-decent health plan and retirement package. However, I paid for an attorney for my first H1B (because otherwise I was worried my inept employer would mess it up) and often paid $2,000-$4,000 p.a. out-of-pocket travel expenses (though the latter is a bizarre aspect of most universities, not just an issue for the expats there).
Yeah you are pretty spot on there. They paid a lot for the emigration lawyer already! They have talked about green card in the future so I don't think it will be an issue. The guy who works for our sister company has been there 8 years and recently got his green card. He is in fact the main reason I feel quite comfortable because I can see he has made this exact transition and done it successfully.

EDIT: read the link you included and like you say, I am being supported a lot more than that. My flights have been paid for, I have been given a small amount for furniture as a wedding present! Also the first two months accommodation has been paid for. It is actually funny seeing terms like "budget approval" because we are so small. If we need something we just get the CEOs credit card (soon I will have one!) and then buy it. Quite ad-hoc but it works. I suspect things will get more red taped as we get bigger!

Last edited by delbitter; Apr 9th 2014 at 2:42 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

I think you should do it!

On that money, you're not going to be living like a king - but it's enough for most people to live ok on if you manage your lifestyle, esp. once your wife gets a job.

For me, at your age and without kids - so long as you have enough to live on, why not?! Give it a try - you could absolutely love it and it could lead to much bigger things. And if you absolutely hate it, you go home - that's the worst that can happen here.

-Matt
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side Chicago is probably the nicest of the major cities in North America. It has a beautiful downtown and lakefront, cheaper living expenses than either New York or Cali.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delbitter
- $5k for business costs (laptop phone etc). includes money towards our sister companies office where I will be working from.
- $5k health insurance
- $5k housing contribution
- $5k travel costs
- extra commission based on revenue
Are these one-off payments? Sounds a bit odd for health insurance.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmhendrie

On that money, you're not going to be living like a king - but it's enough for most people to live ok on if you manage your lifestyle, esp. once your wife gets a job.

For me, at your age and without kids - so long as you have enough to live on, why not?! Give it a try - you could absolutely love it and it could lead to much bigger things. And if you absolutely hate it, you go home - that's the worst that can happen here.

-Matt
Agreed. If I was 28 and in the situation described, I would certainly do it. ..... Most of us here are a good bit older, and see things from the perspective of higher income and more responsibilities, like a mortgage, an SUV, and school age children. I think the offer is completely survivable, as long as it allows the OP to develop his career it is likely a good deal. His wife getting a job would/will certainly help considerably.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeepster
On the plus side Chicago is probably the nicest of the major cities in North America. It has a beautiful downtown and lakefront, cheaper living expenses than either New York or Cali.
Yeah I was actually surprised that it is cheaper than Oxford! The office is great too!

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Are these one-off payments? Sounds a bit odd for health insurance.
No it will be for the first year then discussions after that. It will be better as long as the business is doing well. Otherwise we will be heading home and not have to worry about it! lol
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. If I was 28 and in the situation described, I would certainly do it. ..... Most of us here are a good bit older, and see things from the perspective of higher income and more responsibilities, like a mortgage, an SUV, and school age children. I think the offer is completely survivable, as long as it allows the OP to develop his career it is likely a good deal. His wife getting a job would/will certainly help considerably.
She hates her current job so it is as much an opportunity for her too!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go for it too. I was offered a job overseas at 24, packed 2 suitcases and it went on from there.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 6:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it...we did this at about your age and haven't really stopped roaming since! It'll look great on your cv. Someone's paying you to go and experience a different place, sure you're not being paid heaps of cash but since you don't yet have kids etc you'll manage fine. Sounds like your company are being fair.

It all gets much more difficult as you accumulate extras (kids!) so if you fancy doing it, just get on with it.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmhendrie

-Matt
Ditto.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I sense a groundswell of opinion ... as in, "Go on, you know you want to!"
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Salary sounds a bit shit, for a company move.

Tax hit could be potentially very painful on the extras.

Lack of credit/driving history will also be a factor in a lot of things being more expensive.

Parking, in Chicago isn't exactly cheap either, so that's another cost factor if you plan to live in the city and not the burbs.

You don't say what the OH does for work, she may or may not struggle to find work here, it can be very difficult.

Get greencard offer in writing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.