British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   will this have messed things up? Help!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/will-have-messed-things-up-help-105166/)

robbiesgirl Aug 2nd 2001 10:06 pm

Hi guys,

I have just sent off the forms for my K-1...the OF-156, OF-230, etc, etc. To my horror after posting, I realised I had also included the Affidavit of Support and evidence given to me by my fiance :( Do you think this will mess everything up?? I ticked that I had the Affidavit in my possession as part of the IV15, but I sent it to them!!! DOH!!! Someone please reassure me that I haven't messed up, I'm mainly concerned about when I go for my interview, and if they ask for my Affidavit. I sent them the original form, so I only have a copy. I'm hoping we can match them up if they do ask to see it. I was wondering if anyone else has stuffed up like this before, too?? :) Might make me feel less of an ass :D

Ladiegrey Aug 3rd 2001 11:38 am

You should be fine, good thing you have a copy....when i filed for a k-1 i did the
same silly thing, it was just 1 less thing they asked for is all...only prob could be
if you needed to change it but i believe if that was the case your allowed to submit
a NEW affidavit at your interview anyhow....im no expert tho* cheers

K Aug 3rd 2001 2:42 pm

Robbiesgirl if you dont mind me asking what forms did you send to the consul and what did you send with them? I am asking as i am just about to go down that path myself. Did you send them by fed-ex or just normal post service?

Thanks

Joe Aug 3rd 2001 7:01 pm

I would think you'll be alright. I think as LadieGrey says - it will just be one less
form that you have to hand over on the day of your interview. But just to put your
own mind at ease and be on the safe side you should phone up the INS at the embassy
and ask them. If they do say that you've screwed up then perhaps you could get your
fiance to get together another affidavit and courier it to you pronto... you should
have just about enough time.

Good Luck Joe

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

robbiesgirl Aug 3rd 2001 10:11 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. I've decided to send an SAE with a covering letter to the Embassy to ask for them to send me the Affidavit back. It was the original so i thought better safe than sorry. That way i can always bring it back with me when i finally get my interview date. In reply to K, if you have recieved your packet 3, it will tell you what to send. Just for clarification, i sent to the embassy the IV15 (which is where you check off what documents you will bring to the interview), the OF-156 in duplicate, OF-230 Part 1, and the OF-156k, which is also referred to as the supplement to the OF-156 forms. That is all i sent (apart from the affidavit, and that is where i screwed up so DON'T send that!!) If you haven't got these yet, go to the US Embassy website and download them or call their info line on 0207 355 3335. Tell them that you in the process of filing for a K-1 and ask them to send you the relavent forms. They are real quick at sending them out, mine took only 2 days. I sent the whole caboodle by recorded delivery, it only cost £1.20 and they give you a reciept number and their website and phone number so you can quote the number of your packet and see when it's arrived. I hope that helps K. Good luck with everything, and the same goes for everyone else. Take care xxx