Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will electronics work?

Will electronics work?

Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all
Default Will electronics work?

My husband is moving his Xbox and PS3 from England to the US when he gets here. Anyone know if these things will work here? Is it just a matter of getting the proper adapter or what? Any voltage problems? Thanks!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will electronics work?

Check the PSU - if it says something like 100-240V on it, all you need is a plug adapter. If not, I'd just get a US power supply.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Check the PSU - if it says something like 100-240V on it, all you need is a plug adapter. If not, I'd just get a US power supply.
That will work for the power supplies, but for games consoles, you need to take into account whether any games you buy here in the US will be compatible or if they are region specific. May not be an issue for you, but should be considered.

The other thing to consider with games consoles, is if you have the online accounts for playing stuff - I'm not sure how easy all of that stuff is to get moved.

In general, we had a lot of success with bringing electrical stuff from the UK here to the US, but games consoles was one area that never really got sorted properly (I can't remember the exact issues we had as that's not really my bag...), so we ended up buying new here...
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:42 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
My husband is moving his Xbox and PS3 from England to the US when he gets here. Anyone know if these things will work here? Is it just a matter of getting the proper adapter or what? Any voltage problems? Thanks!
He'll need a step up adaptor to get the thing them to work in the first place. However, there's not a whole point in taking them.

First things first, as one of the other posters mentioned, there is the region encoding to consider. DVDs and Blu-rays bought in the US won't work with the UK consoles and vice versa. The same goes for most of the games for the Xbox and some for the PS3.

However, that isn't the biggest problem facing your husband. TVs in the US are based on the NTSC standard, while UK machines run on PAL. For the most part, these two standards are incompatible.

His best bet is to sell everything. He'll have to try and save his saves (which won't be easy), and then take it down to CEX, Gamestation or Game and get cash for it. He could put them on eBay, but he'll struggle to sell his games.

On the plus side, Microsoft have just reduced the price of the Xbox 360 in the US, and the PS3 is cheaper than in the UK, but he's going to lose money regardless.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sell and start over, not worth the hassle, plus it's a major mare switching credit cards on xbox live and all the other hassles of being treated as a european.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:43 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
He'll need a step up adaptor to get the thing them to work in the first place.
Huh? Bollocks!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

For games console you will need to modify your console, (Hardware Modification) then the voltage transformer maybe needed. why not sell your ps3 and get one here much cheaper, plus there are always those bundle deals with extra games. PM or email if you want more details.

Not sure you are bringing other electronics over, I bought my laserdisc over which I have to use a voltage transformer. Also bought my Amplifier on ebay from the UK and had it shipped over, using a voltage transformer for that too and works fine.

You can buy multi regional DVD, Blue ray and TV's over here that will play or show films in NTSE or PAL. again Pm me if you require details like weblinks etc.

I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan