Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will a basic checking bank account give me some form of credit history.

Will a basic checking bank account give me some form of credit history.

Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a basic checking bank account give me some form of credit history.

Originally Posted by rculater
hungryhorace

No SSN. Still in UK. Haven't even applied for visa yet. I like to plan ahead LOL.
Until you have a SSN you pretty much don't exist in the US financial system. Do you have an American Express card? If not, apply for one immediately, because you can get Amex to import your British Amex history to support the issuing of a US Amex card. If I heard correctly, you need to have had your UK Amex card for 12 months, and needless to say, have used it responsibly. If you haven't even applied for a visa yet you may still have time enough to build an adequate usage record by, or shortly after, you immigrate to the US.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:31 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a basic checking bank account give me some form of credit history.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Until you have a SSN you pretty much don't exist in the US financial system. Do you have an American Express card? If not, apply for one immediately, because you can get Amex to import your British Amex history to support the issuing of a US Amex card. If I heard correctly, you need to have had your UK Amex card for 12 months, and needless to say, have used it responsibly. If you haven't even applied for a visa yet you may still have time enough to build an adequate usage record by, or shortly after, you immigrate to the US.
I've updated the site's wiki entry re AMEX based upon my own experience:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fatbrit's_Guide_to_Credit_and_Finance#AMEX
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

Yes - been a Amex card member since 2010 and used responsibly. Dont look like there's much more i can do for now without a SSN.

Thanks.