Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wife wants divorce...........

Wikiposts

wife wants divorce...........

Old Feb 29th 2004, 12:15 pm
Franklin

Default Re: wife wants divorce...........

Originally posted by lairdside
Very sad

There are always two sides in a divorce - "Yours and shitheads."

You have my sympathies Paul, my own marriage ain't lookin' so hot ( to say the least) right now.

Neither my hubby or I would throw the other out on the street though, excepting severe abuse I can't see any justification for it.

Even if you can't stand the sight of them it's no fair by any stretch of the imagination - you have to remember to be a "grown - up".

I wouldn't do that to my dog, personally.

All the best.
I concur, we don't know the facts. But it appears on "its face" that Paul is the weaker and more vulnerable party. The party that comes to the USA is in a potentially very difficult position if things go belly-up. Perhaps that's why the US spouse is required to sign an affidavit of support. I hope he keeps it together and does not make any rash/quick decisions. He needs good advice and I hope he gets it from a kind lawyer in his home town/state. There are pro-bono lawyers and free legal clinics in some law schools. I suggest Paul should try and look for good legal advice that doesn't cost him too much. He needs good legal advice from a family divorce lawyer familiar with the types of problems that Paul is facing. I hope he finds it.

Old Feb 29th 2004, 12:19 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

My own personal viewpoint is that, for the most part the following is true:

You cannot disrespect someone else without disrespecting yourself.

You cannot be angry with someone else without being angry with yourself.

You cannot abuse someone else without abusing yourself.

Now who would rationally want to do any of the above things to themselves?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Hi Paul,

You have my sympathies. How long have you been here in the States?

You need legal advice and quick - there should be legal assistance usually listed under the county that you live in where you should be able to receive free or low cost legal advice. Also many attorneys will do a free consultation. I am about to go through a divorce and have visited with 3 different attorneys for around 30 - 60 mins a time for free to find out where I legally stand and how to proceed with a divorce. I am sure that they will agree that she cannot throw you out as she did sponsor you over here, agreed to provide accomodation and therefore is finacially responsible for you. Remember she has a legal obligation.

Contact the British embassy is you have not already done so. Find out if they can help repatriate you.

About your dog, is the dog chipped - if so I would go ahead and do the rabbies shot and then you have to wait 21 days before they do the blood test. You can fly your dog home any time after the blood test its just the longer it spends here in the US after the blood test, the less time it will spend in quarantine in the UK.

I agree with Patent - the UK spouse that moves stateside gives up so much more and stands to loose even more if the union does not last. Try to stay positive and don't give up with out a fight. Try to be resourceful. Use your local telephoen book and just start calling aroung to any numbers who look like they may be of help legally and if someone can't help they may know someone who can. I know from personal experience that it is daunting being in a foreign country and having to deal with a traumatic time in your life.

Please let us know how you are doing and if you need any help.