Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 10:49 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
Christmas crackers Found lovely ones in Target this week, six large ones filled with things like torches and different goodies, $14 which isn't too bad considering I've seen $hitty ones before for over twenty.

PartyStar.. let me know if you want a Christmas pud..I made some and if you're willing to fight traffic and drive to collect...it's yours
Brandon Brit mine has not arrived yet
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 11:47 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but when I receive photographs on a single sheet of paper (as a substitute for a Happy Holiday card), I am a bit taken aback - we Brits just don't do that kind of thing - and what's with sending a printed sheet with a summary of everything that has happend in the past year to them, their kids, their grand-kids.

Originally Posted by franc11s
1. Can American women understand how unattractive it is to see them in a Christmas cardigan (straight after the organge pumpkin ones). they are pathetic.. Something you might wear if you were two years old and it was knitted by Granny... Ladies - unattractive is an understatement - DON'T wear them..... :scared:

2. Please STOP sending me christmas cards disguised as photographs of your entire family. What is that all about?

3. Americans who turn up for the Christmas party / dinner party in a jumper, jeans or less than even Friday casual wear (or said cardigans). You can tell the Europeans because we all make an effort and it's nice and the women look great....

I LOVE Christmas but these things make me cringe. Bah humbug .
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by User Name
- and what's with sending a printed sheet with a summary of everything that has happend in the past year to them, their kids, their grand-kids.

LOL exactly, who in the f***s interested...LOL
Old Dec 24th 2005, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Brandon Brit mine has not arrived yet

It's in the hands of the postal service luv...maybe it'll arrive tomorrow, or, maybe not....

Merry Christmas Eve my friend...love ya. xxx
Old Dec 24th 2005, 6:21 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but when I receive photographs on a single sheet of paper (as a substitute for a Happy Holiday card), I am a bit taken aback - we Brits just don't do that kind of thing - and what's with sending a printed sheet with a summary of everything that has happend in the past year to them, their kids, their grand-kids.
PMSL! First year we did that family pic xmas card thing I ordered them over the net. When they came they were a single sheet thing. I rang hubby at work in a panic because I thought I'd got the order wrong! He had to talk me down gently and explain that cards weren't the norm. I'ts a pain in the arse because I have to leave all the family photos up on the mantlepiece just so can balance all those single sheeters on something. I'm used to clearing everything off so you can put the xmas cards up.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:12 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by [b
Celtic_Angel][/b]you're in california go to one of those 99c only stores...they are fab...giftbags large and small two for 99c ....

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Doesn't that have the same stigma attached to it as going to Poundstretcher in the UK?
If you have to ask then don't you think you should probably not bother worrying about. Can't believe I missed this post when Ray was doing his nominations.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 1:24 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the hands of the postal service luv...maybe it'll arrive tomorrow, or, maybe not....

Merry Christmas Eve my friend...love ya. xxx
And to you my friend ,miss you .Have a great time at home.Talk to you soon.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 1:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Kewl! Let us all know how it goes?
Christmas crackers Found lovely ones in Target this week, six large ones filled with things like torches and different goodies, $14 which isn't too bad considering I've seen $hitty ones before for over twenty.

PartyStar.. let me know if you want a Christmas pud..I made some and if you're willing to fight traffic and drive to collect...it's yours
Thanx very much for the Christmas Pudding, I can't wait to eat it tomorrow! I might even let the In Laws try some, if they're lucky! I hope you enjoy your Christmas back home, I couldn't be more jealous of you right now!!!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
Old Dec 24th 2005, 3:53 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Partystar
Thanx very much for the Christmas Pudding, I can't wait to eat it tomorrow! I might even let the In Laws try some, if they're lucky! I hope you enjoy your Christmas back home, I couldn't be more jealous of you right now!!!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Waheyy! Enjoy your pud. Now I'll have to get the goss on you from Brandon.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 6:20 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Waheyy! Enjoy your pud. Now I'll have to get the goss on you from Brandon.
hahaha, not much goss to be had, sorry! I'm a very open person & will just come right out & say it! What you see is what you get with me!
Old Dec 26th 2005, 8:22 pm
roamin in the gloamin

Originally Posted by Partystar
hahaha, not much goss to be had, sorry! I'm a very open person & will just come right out & say it! What you see is what you get with me!
So did you eat your pudding yet? I haven't had mine yet as I didn't have any brandy to get it flaming.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by clydegirl
So did you eat your pudding yet? I haven't had mine yet as I didn't have any brandy to get it flaming.
Nope, not yet. I'm waiting until I have a minute to myself, we haven't been back at our place long, we stayed the night at my MIL's so that I could drink too, as I'm usually the DD. I didn't even bother getting it out over there, they weren't very impressed with the mince pies that I bought, so I certainly wasn't going to waste any of my lovely Christmas pud on them!!!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 11:01 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
1. Can American women understand how unattractive it is to see them in a Christmas cardigan (straight after the organge pumpkin ones). they are pathetic.. Something you might wear if you were two years old and it was knitted by Granny... Ladies - unattractive is an understatement - DON'T wear them..... :scared:

2. Please STOP sending me christmas cards disguised as photographs of your entire family. What is that all about?

3. Americans who turn up for the Christmas party / dinner party in a jumper, jeans or less than even Friday casual wear (or said cardigans). You can tell the Europeans because we all make an effort and it's nice and the women look great....

I LOVE Christmas but these things make me cringe. Bah humbug .
I like the photocards - sent our christmas cards with a personalized stamp this year myself. My bro-in-law came to the party in pajamas. I was in a shirt and tie. Still it's the diversity I like.

Pretty much in agreement about the cardies though
Old Dec 27th 2005, 11:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I don't find the items on your list too cringeworthy - maybe worth a grin or two, though.

Most Americans in this neck of the woods put lots of effort into decorating the outsides of their homes - there are a few in the "posh" part of town that would put Blackpool to shame! It seems to be their priority, dressing up to the nines is not on their "to do" list. Works for me!

Something I did find cringeworthy though was a float in the town's Christmas parade this year. A depiction of the crucifiction, with a young fellow hanging on a cross, and attendant Roman soldiers etc. (Real people from a local church!)
That was bad enough, in a parade supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ, even more astounding was that it won the award for Best Float!!!!
Cringe, cringe!!
And in the park where there is a very nice Christmas lights display, there's a section dedicated to the crucifiction.

It's also fairly cringeworthy to go to a Christmas gathering and find no alcohol. :scared:

Funny thing that has remained a tradition with me-driving around at night to see the way people have decorated their houses with light displays. We have a row of houses along the nearest main road to me that apparently all band together to decorate and it does look nice. Yes, there are some folks who do decorate as if they bought every single Christmas item available that lights up and crammed it into their yard, but there are some that deserve to be in a magazine-really pretty.
Inside-well my friend told me when she lived in Dallas that she knew some people that paid a decorater up to 30K to decorate their home's interiors. Now that IS a bit over the top.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Funny thing that has remained a tradition with me-driving around at night to see the way people have decorated their houses with light displays. We have a row of houses along the nearest main road to me that apparently all band together to decorate and it does look nice. Yes, there are some folks who do decorate as if they bought every single Christmas item available that lights up and crammed it into their yard, but there are some that deserve to be in a magazine-really pretty.
Inside-well my friend told me when she lived in Dallas that she knew some people that paid a decorater up to 30K to decorate their home's interiors. Now that IS a bit over the top.
Oh yeah. I've heard of a lady who had an interior decorator come into her swanky house in Atlanta to do her Christmas decorations. Probably spent at least several thousand Dollars. I can't remember how many Christmas trees she had up but it was more than just three...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.