Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:29 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by basementwaj
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Sorry to say, but yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss!

I met hubby 3 months after my operation!!! He was, to say the least, a tad gutted!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:30 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
They don't have real traditions here, America hasn't been around long enough. They only have things they remember doing last year.

How many times do you hear of people "starting a family tradition" ? Is that an oxymoron?
I hear it all the time with my mummy group, as we all have young children & want to start traditions that they'll carry on with their kids, it's lovely.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:32 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Sorry to say, but yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss!

I met hubby 3 months after my operation!!! He was, to say the least, a tad gutted!
actually huge titties are gross I had a neighbour have 6 pounds sucked from her tits...she loved her new look.... I was preggers at the time ..it was the only time our tits were the same size ...pmsl
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:33 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
actually huge titties are gross I had a neighbour have 6 pounds sucked from her tits...she loved her new look.... I was preggers at the time ..it was the only time our tits were the same size ...pmsl
I'm glad you agree, I hated them, they had to go!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:34 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I hear it all the time with my mummy group, as we all have young children & want to start traditions that they'll carry on with their kids, it's lovely.
for the last coupla years our tradition is to make gingerbreadmen...decorating them is almost as much fun as eating them...also we all get to open one gift the night of Xmas Eve
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:34 pm
Back where I belong!

for the last coupla years our tradition is to make gingerbreadmen...decorating them is almost as much fun as eating them...also we all get to open one gift the night of Xmas Eve
PJ's?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:36 pm
Back Again

PJ's?
haha actually no ...but that's a good idea..nah we just get too excited and it's usually a gift the kids saw me buy....for hubby it's always some form of booze for us to enjoy
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:41 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by izibear
Oy, leave my Christmas jumpers alone.

After all, it isn't just an American Tradition. Mark Darcy and Bridget Jones wore them didn't they?

Coming from a nation that has absolutely zero Christmas spirit (just way too many spirits hic) I love the way that people celebrate over here.
I think they made Bridget and Darcy where those jumpers for the US audience. I've never seen any adults wear those in the UK.

I don't get the Christmas jumper thing at all. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. A woman at work says she has about three that she gets out every holiday season. She's had them since the late 80's.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:51 pm
Back where I belong!

haha actually no ...but that's a good idea..nah we just get too excited and it's usually a gift the kids saw me buy....for hubby it's always some form of booze for us to enjoy
Nice. Although I think we may start the opening a present on Christmas Eve tradition, I have the PJ's ready to go!!!

As for booze, that's never a gift, it's more of a must have in our house! Although, thinking back, I have given hubby Whisky a few times, he loves his Glenmoragie or whatever it's called!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:52 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I think they made Bridget and Darcy where those jumpers for the US audience. I've never seen any adults wear those in the UK.

I don't get the Christmas jumper thing at all. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. A woman at work says she has about three that she gets out every holiday season. She's had them since the late 80's.
when I'm a granny I will have a closet full
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Glenmoragie or whatever it's called!

'Glenmorangie' I think you mean... a single highland malt..one of my husband's favourites but not for me
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:59 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
'Glenmorangie' I think you mean... a single highland malt..one of my husband's favourites but not for me
Thanx for that correction! I'm the same way, I can't stand the stuff, just the smell of it makes me wanna puke!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:05 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

The jumpers are quite frightening, I must say. We have a similar thing at work (I work in a hospital) and all the women will wear their "festive" scrubs....usually scrub tops with various cutesy (read "bleugh") pictures on. I don't know why they feel the need to dress up like a Christmas tree but there you go. The decorations in our unit are quite pitiful. I think we have three rosettes and a Christmas card (I kid you not). In England we used to go to town and have a tree, tinsel, streamers and all sorts. But then as Christmas lasted from like the 21st until January 2nd it made it seem worth it. Here's it's a single day and then back to work. It's too much hassle for one day I suppose. Most of them view it as an opportunity to eat even more crap as there lately tons of cookies, cakes and candy and our disposal.

Last edited by Rockgurl; Dec 22nd 2005 at 8:10 pm. Reason: coz my spellin' is shit
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for that correction! I'm the same way, I can't stand the stuff, just the smell of it makes me wanna puke!
Hey no probs I only had the correct spelling coz I've got a bottle here right in front of me ready to wrap as part of my husband's stocking 'stuffer' lol as they say here...lol good old pink champers for moi ..enjoy your Christmas
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:10 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
The jumpers are quite frightening, I must say. We have a similar thing at work (I work in a hospital) and all the women will wear their "festive" scrubs....usually scrub tops with various cutesy (read "bleugh") pictures on. I don't know why they feel the need to dress up like a Christmas tree but there you go. The decorations in our unit are quite pitiful. I think we have three rosettes and a Christmas card (I kid you not). In England we used to go to town and have a tree, tinsel, streamers and all sorts. But then as Christmas lsated from like the 21st until January 2nd it made it seem worth it. Here's it's a single day and then back to work. It's too much hassle for one day I suppose. Most of them view it as an opportunity to eat even more crap as there lately tons of cookies, cakes and candy and our disposal.
Have to agree. I hate those festive scrubs!!! And you're right xmas doesn't last nearly as long as it does in England. When I was in the Uk the xmas stuff started going in the shops September 1st. Here you have to get Halloween and Thanksgiving over with first. By Thanksgiving I'm gagging for a bit of tinsel with my turkey. Made hubby play cheesy xmas songs this year while we had our turkey. Ha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.