British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wierd-us-traditions-drive-me-bonkers-344071/)

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 6:01 pm

Re: Weird US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Doesn't that have the same stigma attached to it as going to Poundstretcher in the UK? :eek:

Nowt wrong with Poundstretcher! We used to do our Christmas shopping there when I was little...we were poor!

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 6:03 pm

Re: Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Dont you remember...... i before e except after c..

bit of a wierd saying i know but it usually works :p

There are so many exceptions the rule isn't worth remembering. Here are just a few:

deity (deified, deify)
eider
eiderdown
eidetic
eidolon
either
foreign (foreigner)
forfeit
height (heighten)
leisure
neither
protein
reincarnate
reinforce
reinstate
reinsure
reinvigorate
reiterate
seize
sovereign
specie
species
weird

conscience (conscientious)

counterfeit
deficient
proficient
science (scientific scientist)
sufficient

basementwaj Dec 22nd 2005 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Nowt wrong with Poundstretcher! We used to do our Christmas shopping there when I was little...we were poor!

how much were things in there then?

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 6:04 pm

If you check out post #14, you'll notice that I did try to quietly and subtly point that out....

Sorry, missed that fascinating nugget.

basementwaj Dec 22nd 2005 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
There are so many exceptions the rule isn't worth remembering. Here are just a few:

deity (deified, deify)
eider
eiderdown
eidetic
eidolon
either
foreign (foreigner)
forfeit
height (heighten)
leisure
neither
protein
reincarnate
reinforce
reinstate
reinsure
reinvigorate
reiterate
seize
sovereign
specie
species
weird

conscience (conscientious)

counterfeit
deficient
proficient
science (scientific scientist)
sufficient

you have far too much time on your hands!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 6:06 pm

Doesn't that have the same stigma attached to it as going to Poundstretcher in the UK? :eek:

cor poundstretcher......that's going back a bit..yeah the stores are great...everything is a dollar you'll spend $40 easy :D

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 6:07 pm

how much were things in there then?

Really cheap, a couple of quid, but it all depended on what you were buying, it's not quite like a dollar store.

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
cor poundstretcher......that's going back a bit..yeah the stores are great...everything is a dollar you'll spend $40 easy :D

We were poor, I had huge boobs as a kid & my mum would sometimes buy me a bra, if I was lucky, from Poundstretchers, I still remember picking one out!!! Man it sucked being poor.

basementwaj Dec 22nd 2005 6:10 pm

Really cheap, a couple of quid, but it all depended on what you were buying, it's not quite like a dollar store.

poundland is still a store that my gran buys my chritmas pressies from!
gotta love those shoe polishing kits, year old chocolates, clothes pegs, tuppaware, durasmell batteries (i before e) and lanx deoderant!

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 6:14 pm

We were poor, I had huge boobs as a kid & my mum would sometimes buy me a bra, if I was lucky, from Poundstretchers, I still remember picking one out!!! Man it sucked being poor.

you start by telling me you have huge boobs.....and expect me to sympathise :rolleyes: :p

nothing wrong with poundstretchers or 99c only stores.....expensive crap ...cheap crap when Jan 1st comes around it's all crap :D

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 6:17 pm

you have far too much time on your hands!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Once you've learnt how to spell you can move on to mastering the art of cut and paste.:beer:

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 22nd 2005 6:19 pm

I dont know what all the stress is personally. Once again Christmas will pass me by with barely a whisper. Just a quick round of pressy opening early in the morning. And thats about it.

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 6:20 pm

you start by telling me you have huge boobs.....and expect me to sympathise :rolleyes: :p

nothing wrong with poundstretchers or 99c only stores.....expensive crap ...cheap crap when Jan 1st comes around it's all crap :D

They were such a bane in my life that I had them cut off!

robskatie Dec 22nd 2005 6:22 pm

Having a HAM for xmas dinner, a lot of my american friends have asked me this week "have you got your ham yet?"
Don't have one, don't want one, thank you very much :rolleyes:

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 6:23 pm

And all that crap wherever it comes from has loads of crap packaging that you have to get rid of at the time in the year when you don't have trash collection.

Come to think of it cheap crap has less packaging than expensive crap. That's got to be worth a trip to Big Lots.

basementwaj Dec 22nd 2005 6:24 pm

They were such a bane in my life that I had them cut off!

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

TRPardoe Dec 22nd 2005 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
1. Can American women understand how unattractive it is to see them in a Christmas cardigan (straight after the organge pumpkin ones). they are pathetic.. Something you might wear if you were two years old and it was knitted by Granny... Ladies - unattractive is an understatement - DON'T wear them..... :scared:

2. Please STOP sending me christmas cards disguised as photographs of your entire family. What is that all about? :eek:

3. Americans who turn up for the Christmas party / dinner party in a jumper, jeans or less than even Friday casual wear (or said cardigans). You can tell the Europeans because we all make an effort and it's nice and the women look great.... :confused:

I LOVE Christmas but these things make me cringe. Bah humbug . :beer:

They don't have real traditions here, America hasn't been around long enough. They only have things they remember doing last year.

How many times do you hear of people "starting a family tradition" ? Is that an oxymoron?

anotherlimey Dec 22nd 2005 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
LOL! :D :D

What made it worse is that everyone said to me "oh that's so nice; wish we had more people like you in the office"!!!! :rolleyes:

I was thinking to myself, why don't you get off your lazy cheapo arse and spend $10 to do the same thing. :mad:

Wintersong Dec 22nd 2005 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
They don't have real traditions here, America hasn't been around long enough. They only have things they remember doing last year.

How many times do you hear of people "starting a family tradition" ? Is that an oxymoron?

That's a bit unfair. A tradition has to start somewhere. Our family has a "traditional" Christmas day breakfast of scrambled eggs, crusty bread and champagne. We've done it for about the last 20 years. Just because my Grandparents didn't do it, doesn't mean it isn't a family tradition.

TruBrit Dec 22nd 2005 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by izibear
Oy, leave my Christmas jumpers alone.

I love the way that people celebrate over here.

Yeah I agree to a point as they do go out to make the effort a little more than us Brits but as usual over here they go OTT as with everything, kinda in your face too much..it'll be Valentine's next, wreaths on the door and all that...lol not sure what comes after that, is it Easter or the little green leprechauns...lol Have fun whatever you are all up to and keep your glue gun handy..I think not :D

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 7:29 pm

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Sorry to say, but yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss!

I met hubby 3 months after my operation!!! He was, to say the least, a tad gutted!

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

I hear it all the time with my mummy group, as we all have young children & want to start traditions that they'll carry on with their kids, it's lovely.

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 7:32 pm

I met hubby 3 months after my operation!!! He was, to say the least, a tad gutted!

actually huge titties are gross I had a neighbour have 6 pounds sucked from her tits...she loved her new look.... I was preggers at the time ..it was the only time our tits were the same size ...pmsl :p :D

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 7:33 pm

actually huge titties are gross I had a neighbour have 6 pounds sucked from her tits...she loved her new look.... I was preggers at the time ..it was the only time our tits were the same size ...pmsl :p :D

I'm glad you agree, I hated them, they had to go!

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 7:34 pm

I hear it all the time with my mummy group, as we all have young children & want to start traditions that they'll carry on with their kids, it's lovely.

for the last coupla years our tradition is to make gingerbreadmen...decorating them is almost as much fun as eating them...also we all get to open one gift the night of Xmas Eve :)

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 7:34 pm

for the last coupla years our tradition is to make gingerbreadmen...decorating them is almost as much fun as eating them...also we all get to open one gift the night of Xmas Eve :)

PJ's?

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 7:36 pm

PJ's?

haha actually no :D ...but that's a good idea..nah we just get too excited and it's usually a gift the kids saw me buy....for hubby it's always some form of booze for us to enjoy ;) :)

Shahlax Dec 22nd 2005 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by izibear
Oy, leave my Christmas jumpers alone.

After all, it isn't just an American Tradition. Mark Darcy and Bridget Jones wore them didn't they? :D

Coming from a nation that has absolutely zero Christmas spirit (just way too many spirits hic) I love the way that people celebrate over here.

I think they made Bridget and Darcy where those jumpers for the US audience. I've never seen any adults wear those in the UK.

I don't get the Christmas jumper thing at all. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. A woman at work says she has about three that she gets out every holiday season. She's had them since the late 80's. :o

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 7:51 pm

haha actually no :D ...but that's a good idea..nah we just get too excited and it's usually a gift the kids saw me buy....for hubby it's always some form of booze for us to enjoy ;) :)

Nice. Although I think we may start the opening a present on Christmas Eve tradition, I have the PJ's ready to go!!!

As for booze, that's never a gift, it's more of a must have in our house! Although, thinking back, I have given hubby Whisky a few times, he loves his Glenmoragie or whatever it's called!

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I think they made Bridget and Darcy where those jumpers for the US audience. I've never seen any adults wear those in the UK.

I don't get the Christmas jumper thing at all. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. A woman at work says she has about three that she gets out every holiday season. She's had them since the late 80's. :o

when I'm a granny I will have a closet full :D

TruBrit Dec 22nd 2005 7:56 pm

Glenmoragie or whatever it's called!

'Glenmorangie' I think you mean... a single highland malt..one of my husband's favourites but not for me :)

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
'Glenmorangie' I think you mean... a single highland malt..one of my husband's favourites but not for me :)

Thanx for that correction! I'm the same way, I can't stand the stuff, just the smell of it makes me wanna puke!

Rockgurl Dec 22nd 2005 8:05 pm

The jumpers are quite frightening, I must say. We have a similar thing at work (I work in a hospital) and all the women will wear their "festive" scrubs....usually scrub tops with various cutesy (read "bleugh") pictures on. I don't know why they feel the need to dress up like a Christmas tree but there you go. The decorations in our unit are quite pitiful. I think we have three rosettes and a Christmas card (I kid you not). In England we used to go to town and have a tree, tinsel, streamers and all sorts. But then as Christmas lasted from like the 21st until January 2nd it made it seem worth it. Here's it's a single day and then back to work. It's too much hassle for one day I suppose. Most of them view it as an opportunity to eat even more crap as there lately tons of cookies, cakes and candy and our disposal.

TruBrit Dec 22nd 2005 8:08 pm

Thanx for that correction! I'm the same way, I can't stand the stuff, just the smell of it makes me wanna puke!

Hey no probs I only had the correct spelling coz I've got a bottle here right in front of me ready to wrap as part of my husband's stocking 'stuffer' lol as they say here...lol good old pink champers for moi ..enjoy your Christmas :)

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
The jumpers are quite frightening, I must say. We have a similar thing at work (I work in a hospital) and all the women will wear their "festive" scrubs....usually scrub tops with various cutesy (read "bleugh") pictures on. I don't know why they feel the need to dress up like a Christmas tree but there you go. The decorations in our unit are quite pitiful. I think we have three rosettes and a Christmas card (I kid you not). In England we used to go to town and have a tree, tinsel, streamers and all sorts. But then as Christmas lsated from like the 21st until January 2nd it made it seem worth it. Here's it's a single day and then back to work. It's too much hassle for one day I suppose. Most of them view it as an opportunity to eat even more crap as there lately tons of cookies, cakes and candy and our disposal.

Have to agree. I hate those festive scrubs!!! And you're right xmas doesn't last nearly as long as it does in England. When I was in the Uk the xmas stuff started going in the shops September 1st. Here you have to get Halloween and Thanksgiving over with first. By Thanksgiving I'm gagging for a bit of tinsel with my turkey. Made hubby play cheesy xmas songs this year while we had our turkey. Ha!

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 8:12 pm

Hey no probs I only had the correct spelling coz I've got a bottle here right in front of me ready to wrap as part of my husband's stocking 'stuffer' lol as they say here...lol good old pink champers for moi ..enjoy your Christmas :)

Stocking stuffer. Love it. Reminds me of all the Victorian euphemisms for breast and thigh. Maybe we need one for stocking stuffer.

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 8:20 pm

Merry Christmas to you too! :) :D

CaliforniaBride Dec 22nd 2005 8:22 pm

Just out of interest did you have the nipple cut of and repositioned job or the one where they cut everything around the nipple and leave it standing like a cored apple before they remove the excess and tie it all back together like a the plastic around a fruit basket?

Partystar Dec 22nd 2005 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Just out of interest did you have the nipple cut of and repositioned job or the one where they cut everything around the nipple and leave it standing like a cored apple before they remove the excess and tie it all back together like a the plastic around a fruit basket?

You know what, I'm sure I remember them telling me that they were going to cut off my nipples, but I think they did the latter. Either way, they are in the right place now & have minimal scars, which is more than I can say for the rest of the jobby! It took them 5 hours to do it & I weighed a stone less when I came out 5 days later, I was huge (34G) & couldn't have weighed more than 130lbs when I went in.

After I came out, everyone kept asking if I had lost weight & I would reply, yeah, sort of! I used to wear big baggy tops to cover them up, which inevitably make you look fat.

SGTROD Dec 22nd 2005 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by elfman
Loads of Americans (at least in the north east US) leave the Christmas lights up on their houses for months after Christmas - is that a tradition or just apathy?

Apathy!!! LOL