British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wierd-us-traditions-drive-me-bonkers-344071/)

CarlM Dec 22nd 2005 5:13 pm

Re: Weird US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Is it just me who has noticed a distinct lack of Christmassy food in the supermarkets? You know the kind of thing - party foods, chipolatas wrapped in bacon, Lebkuchen, cream with different liqueurs, brandy butter etc etc

I find it all distinctly unfestive :(

..and zero babycham!

NJ_Dave Dec 22nd 2005 5:15 pm

Re: Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

What's up with boxes for Xmas gifts -how difficult is it to wrap a sweater without first putting it in a box?

(Watching grown women throw tantrums, after the department stores run out of gift boxes -priceless!)

Wintersong Dec 22nd 2005 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
What's up with boxes for Xmas gifts -how difficult is it to wrap a sweater without first putting it in a box?

(Watching grown women throw tantrums, after the department stores run out of gift boxes -priceless!)

And how come you can't buy single sheets of gift wrap? I don't want to have to buy a whole roll just to wrap up one child's present. It's a pain in the ass.

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'd love to find some decent cream with different liqueurs! Also, miss the little mince pies from Sainsburys and the German Stollen cake. :(

you can buy Stollen and lots of other goodies at World Market.. :)

Wintersong Dec 22nd 2005 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'd love to find some decent cream with different liqueurs! Also, miss the little mince pies from Sainsburys and the German Stollen cake. :(

I'd love to find some decent cream :mad:

Dimsie Dec 22nd 2005 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
1. Can American women understand how unattractive it is to see them in a Christmas cardigan (straight after the organge pumpkin ones). they are pathetic.. Something you might wear if you were two years old and it was knitted by Granny... Ladies - unattractive is an understatement - DON'T wear them..... :scared:

2. Please STOP sending me christmas cards disguised as photographs of your entire family. What is that all about? :eek:

3. Americans who turn up for the Christmas party / dinner party in a jumper, jeans or less than even Friday casual wear (or said cardigans). You can tell the Europeans because we all make an effort and it's nice and the women look great.... :confused:

I LOVE Christmas but these things make me cringe. Bah humbug .

:D I don't find the items on your list too cringeworthy - maybe worth a grin or two, though.

Most Americans in this neck of the woods put lots of effort into decorating the outsides of their homes - there are a few in the "posh" part of town that would put Blackpool to shame! It seems to be their priority, dressing up to the nines is not on their "to do" list. Works for me!

Something I did find cringeworthy though was a float in the town's Christmas parade this year. A depiction of the crucifiction, with a young fellow hanging on a cross, and attendant Roman soldiers etc. (Real people from a local church!)
That was bad enough, in a parade supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ, even more astounding was that it won the award for Best Float!!!!
Cringe, cringe!!
And in the park where there is a very nice Christmas lights display, there's a section dedicated to the crucifiction. :confused:

It's also fairly cringeworthy to go to a Christmas gathering and find no alcohol. :scared:

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 5:25 pm

And how come you can't buy single sheets of gift wrap? I don't want to have to buy a whole roll just to wrap up one child's present. It's a pain in the ass.

that's what gift bags are for deary ;) :D

Wintersong Dec 22nd 2005 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
that's what gift bags are for deary ;) :D

But it's cheaper to buy a roll of wrapping paper!

Lord Lionheart Dec 22nd 2005 5:29 pm

I'd love to find some decent cream :mad:

Going to resist the obvious joke that I think you already did ;)

Elvira Dec 22nd 2005 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
:D
Most Americans in this neck of the woods put lots of effort into decorating the outsides of their homes - there are a few in the "posh" part of town that would put Blackpool to shame! It seems to be their priority, dressing up to the nines is not on their "to do" list. Works for me!

It's also fairly cringeworthy to go to a Christmas gathering and find no alcohol. :scared:

No booze?? And people dressed in their everyday jeans and sweaters? OMG! :eek:

But then I see you are in Oklahoma... :scared: :D

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart
Going to resist the obvious joke that I think you already did ;)

yeah me too...Eskimo is watching....I'm a good girl I am :)

AmerLisa Dec 22nd 2005 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie

Something I did find cringeworthy though was a float in the town's Christmas parade this year. A depiction of the crucifiction, with a young fellow hanging on a cross, and attendant Roman soldiers etc. (Real people from a local church!)
That was bad enough, in a parade supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ, even more astounding was that it won the award for Best Float!!!!
Cringe, cringe!!
And in the park where there is a very nice Christmas lights display, there's a section dedicated to the crucifiction. :confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Celtic_Angel Dec 22nd 2005 5:36 pm

But it's cheaper to buy a roll of wrapping paper!

you're in california go to one of those 99c only stores...they are fab...giftbags large and small two for 99c .... :D

basementwaj Dec 22nd 2005 5:37 pm

And how cam most americans say that thanksgiving is the best holiday..
its just christmas without the pressies!.............................

actually i think i can see where they are coming from.... no crappy sweaters, no homer simpson boxers, no pine needles stuck in your fricking feet, no EGNOG :scared: no overdraft from all the shite you have had to buy everyone, no huge electricity bill for the light (kyoto anyone????)

ok, thanksgiving is now my favourite holiday!

roll out the sweet potatos!

Elvira Dec 22nd 2005 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj
...no overdraft from all the shite you have had to buy everyone..........

No one has to buy anything for anyone.

I stopped years ago. In due course they'll stop buying you stuff too.

Believe me it works! ;)