Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why are you here in the US?

Why are you here in the US?

Old May 2nd 2004, 10:55 pm
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough
Default Why are you here in the US?

Can you tell I'm bored today !!
Well I was wondering:
Why are you, a Brit, here in the US?
Thought it would be interesting to find out the many reasons we leave everything behind and move continents. Also, did you come here alone or bring the whole famn damily with you ? Do you ever regret moving here and would you move back to the UK?

OK -Is it:
Spouse is American
Retirement
Just to get out of the UK
Better weather
Job relocation
Better way of life (and the specific reason)
Other reason

Mine is :
Spouse is American
I came here alone to be with him
No family members came over with me
I do regret moving here sometimes (miss my family)
It's definitely a better way of life in the US
(not expensive to live, in TX, anyway and has great weather )
I would not move back to the UK (although I would move to Portugal where my parents have retired)

OK that's me !
- Trace

Old May 3rd 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Job relocation

I worked for a US-based computer company in a team in London. They decided to consolidate our part of the business to the US and India, and lay off the London team. I was able to keep my job by moving to California.

Can't complain really... especially since they paid for a househunting trip, the move, and even gave me a month's salary as moving expenses to buy appliances etc.

Noticed you're in Austin - nice part of the world - if a little hot in the summer. I'm flying to Austin for the fourth time this year in two weeks time - we have offices down there that I often visit.

Mmmm.... Rudy's (Texas BBQ)

Cheers,

Pat
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:04 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I wanted to retire here and thought I'd best get a head-start by moving to the States at the age of 28! LOL Just kidding!!!

I moved here and married my fiance and couldn't be happier! Certainly no complaints here.
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:02 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you here in the US?

My wife is American. She'd lived with me in the UK for 4 years so I thought I'd return the favour!
We brought our two cats over with us, we now have another cat and a daughter.
I have no regrets about emigrating so far. I would entertain the notion of moving back to the UK but, in all honesty, I doubt that'll happen.
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:54 am
Arizona Sun Devil

timshaw2206 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked for a UK E-Commerce company, which was based in Sheffield, and expanded to the US, setting up in Chandler, AZ, and got asked if i would like to move over, so i'm here on an L1 Visa.

I'm 20, so although the not drinking till 21 situation is annoying, everything else here is a lot of fun. Awesome weather, very cute american girls... its great. I moved here on my own so miss family and friends, but have no regrets about moving here.
Old May 3rd 2004, 5:34 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by timshaw2206
I worked for a UK E-Commerce company, which was based in Sheffield, and expanded to the US, setting up in Chandler, AZ, and got asked if i would like to move over, so i'm here on an L1 Visa.

I'm 20, so although the not drinking till 21 situation is annoying, everything else here is a lot of fun. Awesome weather, very cute american girls... its great. I moved here on my own so miss family and friends, but have no regrets about moving here.
Ah! Fellow RD fan I see?
Old May 3rd 2004, 5:37 am
Arizona Sun Devil

timshaw2206 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes... just a shame they don't show it in AZ... and think its a better idea to show endless home make over shows
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Well I got made redundant twice in 10months back in the UK games industry ... so my wife and I decided we'd try elsewhere... I put my CV out... ended up with 3 offers in disparate areas of the world (Vancouver, LA, Brisbane) and took this one... currently based in woodland hills, LA working for Neversoft Entertainment programming computer games and loving it. Wife isn't so happy and has since returned to UK... not quite sure whats gonna happen there....
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:40 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by timshaw2206
Oh yes... just a shame they don't show it in AZ... and think its a better idea to show endless home make over shows
They don't show it here either. People have to make do with video/DVD or do without

I think the makeover shows are to satisfy people's seemingly endless need for procrastination..........
Old May 3rd 2004, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Here with my wonderul wife Mary Ann. Made more sense for me to leave everything in the UK than her leave the US.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Here with my wonderul wife Mary Ann. Made more sense for me to leave everything in the UK than her leave the US.
Me too Scrumpy. Now i am the proud owner of a son, dog, house, 2 cars fully paid off, 2 years of pension contributions and the wife is up the duff with the 2nd son.
Was renting a room in a shared flat in London before moving over and do miss the city lifestyle of London, so much culture and real ethnic diversity. But not the tube at 7am on monday morning.

It's all "luvely Jubbly" as Del would say
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:38 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Job relocation and hubby and children came too. they were only 8,6, and 4 when we moved here.

given the choice, no I don't think we would move back. If we had to move again we would probably go to another european country. Hopefully that isn't going to happen. I would, however, consider moving to another state once the children have left school/univ.

We are all really happy here
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:45 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is American. So is the girl I came over here for, but that's for a different thread
Old May 3rd 2004, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Geordiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Job relocation for hubby 14 years ago, have lived in several states and five years ago moved to North Carolina. I have a group of 6 English girlfriends all within a couple of miles and we all play golf at the same country club, life couldn't be any better.
Old May 3rd 2004, 1:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you here in the US?

Originally posted by Tracy in Texas
Can you tell I'm bored today !!
Well I was wondering:
Why are you, a Brit, here in the US?
Thought it would be interesting to find out the many reasons we leave everything behind and move continents. Also, did you come here alone or bring the whole famn damily with you ? Do you ever regret moving here and would you move back to the UK?

OK -Is it:
Spouse is American
Retirement
Just to get out of the UK
Better weather
Job relocation
Better way of life (and the specific reason)
Other reason

Mine is :
Spouse is American
I came here alone to be with him
No family members came over with me
I do regret moving here sometimes (miss my family)
It's definitely a better way of life in the US
(not expensive to live, in TX, anyway and has great weather )
I would not move back to the UK (although I would move to Portugal where my parents have retired)

OK that's me !
- Trace

After a wild and dissipated youth, just woke up one morning and found myself in New York.

(OK, boring version, married a US citizen and moved here, but subsequently divorced (youthful mistake category). Later married a Mexican citizen so now neither of us lives in our home country. Next stop?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.