Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

why would US born kids need british citizenship

why would US born kids need british citizenship

Old May 17th 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of
Default why would US born kids need british citizenship

Just a question-I have been reading a lot of posts about US born kids, one parent is British, getting a British citizenship. I am a British citizen, am a perm. resident with a green card. Hubby is American by birth and kids are all US born. Should I get my kids British Citizenship and why. Should I get US citizenship and why?? thanx
Old May 17th 2010, 7:43 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: why would US born kids need british citizenship

Originally Posted by usoruk
Just a question-I have been reading a lot of posts about US born kids, one parent is British, getting a British citizenship. I am a British citizen, am a perm. resident with a green card. Hubby is American by birth and kids are all US born. Should I get my kids British Citizenship and why. Should I get US citizenship and why?? thanx
My thoughts:

1. If you know that you'll be settling in the U.S., then getting U.S. Citizenship is nice, because you no longer have to worry about losing your PR if you're out of the U.S. for too long. Holding a U.S. Passport also allow you to travel visa-free to a few places that UK Passport doesn't. On the other hand, you'll be subject to worldwide taxation. Furthermore, Renouncement of US citizenship's a complicated/hard process, I know someone who went through it successfully but the paperwork was annoying.

2. I don't see harm with your kids getting UK citizenship as well. Neither the US or UK will force dual citizenship holders to give up one of their citizenships. The U.S. doesn't "Recognize" dual citizenship, but "Tolerates" it. Dual/Multiple Citizenships can create problems in some cases, but many seem to hold the UK/US combination without much trouble.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

thankyou, what sort problems could arise from dual citizenship for myself and the kids. Hubby wonders why I don't get a US cit. He thinks I may one day move back with the kids and not having the US cit. will make the move easier.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:07 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

thankyou, what sort problems could arise from dual citizenship for myself and the kids. Hubby wonders why I don't get a US cit. He thinks I may one day move back with the kids and not having the US cit. will make the move easier.
This article may be of interest to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_citizenship

If you hold on to your green card, and later move back to the UK and stay outside of the U.S. for a prolonged period of time without a re-entry permit, you could be considered as having abandoned your PR status.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:32 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Should I get my kids British Citizenship and why. Should I get US citizenship and why?? thanx
My thinking on the kids for UK citizenship thing is "you may as well". That way the kids will be able to live and work in the EU any time they want. There is no real cost: so far there is no prospect of worldwide taxation and there hasn't been a draft/conscription in many decades.

As for the US citizenship: much the same, really. There's probably no critical practical difference on a daily basis but once you get US citizenship, you can't get it taken off you (unless there was fraud etc).

He thinks I may one day move back with the kids and not having the US cit. will make the move easier.
Bit of a weird thing to say. Consult a qualified and experienced family lawyer but I don't remember having heard that not having US citizenship would make it easier to remove kids from the jursidiction.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids will almost certainly have British citizenship anyway, you don't do anything to get it. With the multiple citizenships including US. It's not that the US doesn't recognize "dual citizenship," more that it has no position. THe UK has rules which say they don't care, the US doesn't have them either way.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

My tuppence or two cents worth... US Citizenship gives you the freedom to go back to the UK, without abandoning your PR status, should the need arise.

UK passports for your children opens the future to travel or living in the UK in the future if they wish to as Lapin_winstar said above.

You don't lose anything by gaining US citizenship or by your children having British passports. It's a win-win.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:08 pm
Busy at Work

Two comments:

1. Even if you are a US citizen, it's possible but hard to renounce it. I know an Australian Ex-US citizen that did it. You can only do it outside of the US and tons of paperwork to do. Plus it can be denied if it is felt that you were not well informed of the consequences of your decision. If you have alot of assests (a billionaire) they will force you to pay tax for a number of years after renouncement

2. A drawback of US citizenship is worldwide taxation. Another is the potential for conscription in time of war, though that only applies to male citizens

Last edited by lifehouse51; May 17th 2010 at 12:10 pm.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
2. A drawback of US citizenship is worldwide taxation. Another is the potential for conscription in time of war, though that only applies to males
That's often not a drawback since most males in the US and in the age range would be eligible for the selective service. It may only be an issue if you move to a different country where as a previous visa holder/resident you would be off the hook.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:19 pm
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
That's often not a drawback since most males in the US and in the age range would be eligible for the selective service. It may only be an issue if you move to a different country where as a previous visa holder/resident you would be off the hook.
I always wonder how it works for Foreign nationals working/studying in the US? I never register for selective service myself ( am I supposed to?). Recently filled out some forms for working at a Veterans Affairs Hospital, And as a federal institution, it asked me if I was registered and claimed they would run checks on everyone. I flat out wrote I refused to sign up as i am not a citizen nor PR. Haven't heard anything from them about withdrawing the job offer

Last edited by lifehouse51; May 17th 2010 at 12:21 pm.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I went for Brit citizenship on our US born daughter since I like the idea that if she's 20 and feels like spending a year in Spain, France, UK, etc... she just can. I know Americans that talk about such adventures (I think Diane Lane was in such a movie!) but as much as we moan about the US immigration system, for non EU citizens, moving to Europe isn't as straightforward as the movies portray.

I have a friend of Sicilian descent who wanted to go for a year. But she was 100% American, so no go...

Just opens up an option.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

onthepunt will become famous soon enoughonthepunt will become famous soon enough

remember that a UK passport will give your children many more options in their lives for residency or easy travel.. a UK passport isnt just for the UK, its free reign in the EU.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else said your children are already dual citizens...getting their birth registered with the British Embassy and getting a UK PP now will make it easier for them in the future to prove citizenship. Why wouldn't you do this? When they get older they could live and work in any European country as well as the US...a great opportunity for them IMO.

One good reason for US citizenship for you apart from being assured entry into the US is inheritance tax. As you have a greencard you would probably have to fill in a US tax return for many years to come if you move out of the US anyway. Many of us expats have taken US citizenship...me included.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I always wonder how it works for Foreign nationals working/studying in the US? I never register for selective service myself ( am I supposed to?). Recently filled out some forms for working at a Veterans Affairs Hospital, And as a federal institution, it asked me if I was registered and claimed they would run checks on everyone. I flat out wrote I refused to sign up as i am not a citizen nor PR. Haven't heard anything from them about withdrawing the job offer
http://www.sss.gov/FSaliens.htm

If you live in the US, male and under 26, you are required by law to sign up for selective service. Even illegal immigrants are required to!

In the N-400 US citizenship application, you have to provide your Selective Service number if you lived in the US prior to 26. If you didn't, you need to explain why.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I always wonder how it works for Foreign nationals working/studying in the US?
Most are required to if you fall in the 18-26 age range when they got here. Basically non-immigrants are exempt. Other than the N-400 there are possible legal ramifications for not registering to the tune of up to a $250,000 fine and/or up to 5 years in jail. I have no idea if anyone has ever been prosecuted under those laws though.

http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; May 17th 2010 at 1:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.