Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is USAir not showing in flight searches

Why is USAir not showing in flight searches

Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is USAir not showing in flight searches

I am headed to the States a couple of times next year (March, and May) and have been searching for flights, both direct via the USAir site and also using travel sites (Travelocity and Kayak). I'm a USAir FF member and usually try to fly with them to earn miles.

When I use the USAir site, the error message comes up "this route not available" (even though I know USAir flies this route). Also, the travel sites don't seem to pull up USAir in the top several pages of results. I've been trying off and on for a few days with the same result.

Anything I don't know about that's going on with USAir? Anyone else finding similar problems?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is USAir not showing in flight searches

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I am headed to the States a couple of times next year (March, and May) and have been searching for flights, both direct via the USAir site and also using travel sites (Travelocity and Kayak). I'm a USAir FF member and usually try to fly with them to earn miles.

When I use the USAir site, the error message comes up "this route not available" (even though I know USAir flies this route). Also, the travel sites don't seem to pull up USAir in the top several pages of results. I've been trying off and on for a few days with the same result.

Anything I don't know about that's going on with USAir? Anyone else finding similar problems?
I've had similar problems with KLM on Travelocity. I emailed them and never heard anything about it. The flights came up fine on Expedia
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Could the route be seasonal? Maybe they're not quite sure yet whether they intend to continue flying it - or maybe have already canceled the route.

Do any other Star Alliance members fly a route that would work for you? You could earn US Airways miles on their flights.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Could the route be seasonal? Maybe they're not quite sure yet whether they intend to continue flying it - or maybe have already canceled the route.

Do any other Star Alliance members fly a route that would work for you? You could earn US Airways miles on their flights.
Yes, I wondered that. Fortunately, for the longer, multi-city route there's a decent ticket with Lufthansa/United, both of which are Star Alliance, but the Glasgow-Boston trip doesn't look like it has any Star Alliance options that are within the lower end price options.

[Later edit: Back in 2001, I flew to the States with a Star Alliance member (BA - they are no longer Star Alliance members) on a route that also had a USAir flight, and they didn't give me FF miles. When I queried it, they said it was because USAir offered a flight for the route I chose. Do they still do that? I'd be ticked to book the flight and then have the same happen again if a USAir route opened up between now and then]

Last edited by dunroving; Aug 15th 2011 at 7:21 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Some airlines don't allow you to book that far in advance.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

[Later edit: Back in 2001, I flew to the States with a Star Alliance member (BA - they are no longer Star Alliance members) on a route that also had a USAir flight, and they didn't give me FF miles.
Airlines do anything to stop you becoming elite members, until you are elite, then you're welcomed. Back in 2005 it took BA nearly 7 months to credit me with some miles I'd flown on LAN (it wasn't automatically credited). As soon as they put them on, they wiped them off again as "I hadn't used them in a timely fashion". But I couldn't use them because they took so blooming long to credit them! Okay, so I would only have had enough to get a free bag of peanuts but that's not the point (well, a couple of hundred miles more and I would have had a flight to Europe 1 if I paid lots of taxes, fees, and charges).

Ironically I'm now getting BA miles faster with AMEX than I ever did with BA itself.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

[Later edit: Back in 2001, I flew to the States with a Star Alliance member (BA - they are no longer Star Alliance members) on a route that also had a USAir flight, and they didn't give me FF miles. When I queried it, they said it was because USAir offered a flight for the route I chose. Do they still do that? I'd be ticked to book the flight and then have the same happen again if a USAir route opened up between now and then]
I'm a member of several airline FF programmes and I've never heard of that one so maybe it's been scrapped or the person who told you this was mistaken. A more common rule in the past has been that the most discounted of airfares would not earn miles, although I haven't personally run into this one for at least 5 years or more.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

try this site skyscanner.co.uk last time i looked 3 days ago it was bringing flights up with us airways hope it helps
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

What route are you searching for ? maybe its going to be pulled. USair stopped Gatwick to Philly last year and a bunch of other routes.

Also airlines sell bulk blocks of seats to "screenscrapers" such as Kayak, skyscanner....the airline may not show availability when the other sites do.

USAir GLA-PHL May - October only.

Last edited by rculater; Aug 16th 2011 at 12:01 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 5:49 am
Just Joined

rookwood is an unknown quantity at this point

You can fly any Star alliance member and credit your miles to US Airways. Just give the airline your US frequent flyer number at check in. Continental, United and a whole bunch of other airlines are Star alliance members. See the link below.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/