Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why the USA ?

Why the USA ?

Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the USA ?

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yikes!! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!!! Okay, let me rephrase - most American women (I know or have met) are immature. Unless you are talking about hair, nails, shoes, shopping, it is impossible to have a conversation with them. I realize I don't know all American women, but this has been my experience here. And most (note I am saying most, not all) are obsessed with shopping!!!
They are quick to take offence!

I have found that to be fairly true. Lots of silly spats, I've already mentioned the long-running battle over table decorations
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They are quick to take offence!

I have found that to be fairly true. Lots of silly spats, I've already mentioned the long-running battle over table decorations
I agree with that.

I also found that if the kids fell out over something...the parents would ignore you.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:03 am
Just Joined

boomy is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be nice to continue with the answering of the initial question of this thread.......why the USA? It can be of great value to other people.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boomy
It will be nice to continue with the answering of the initial question of this thread.......why the USA? It can be of great value to other people.
Not really ...

The "why did you move to the US" theme has been done to death many times as using the "search" function will reveal ...

... and, in the end, it is mostly just idle curiosity - everyone has their own set of circumstances and reasons for moving and really that is all that matters to them - not why somebody else chose to do so ...
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:34 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hideous, my kids do that.
+1 on the hideous front, TBH it makes them seem so vacuous and vapid with the "It's like, totally awesome" and "I was like, tired and he was like, talking and I thought, like ....."

I appreciate it's the local vernacular, but its overuse and multiple insertion in nearly every sentence does not sound good to these British ears.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yikes!! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!!! Okay, let me rephrase - most American women (I know or have met) are immature. Unless you are talking about hair, nails, shoes, shopping, it is impossible to have a conversation with them. I realize I don't know all American women, but this has been my experience here. And most (note I am saying most, not all) are obsessed with shopping!!!
We definitely found that in the last town we were living in. Less so in our current town though, but when I head to the baby play groups, it definitely becomes a lot more like that again.

It doesn't help being a bloke in these instances as it makes it even that more awkward
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:35 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
+1 on the hideous front, TBH it makes them seem so vacuous and vapid with the "It's like, totally awesome" and "I was like, tired and he was like, talking and I thought, like ....."

I appreciate it's the local vernacular, but its overuse and multiple insertion in nearly every sentence does not sound good to these British ears.
They like sound like 15 year olds.

Stop using the word "like" 2-3 times in every sentence! They do it at work too. Our Controller here talks like a 15 year old Valley girl. Hearing her talk is like nails on a blackboard.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:55 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boomy
Originally Posted by md95065
Not really ...

The "why did you move to the US" theme has been done to death many times as using the "search" function will reveal ...

... and, in the end, it is mostly just idle curiosity - everyone has their own set of circumstances and reasons for moving and really that is all that matters to them - not why somebody else chose to do so ...
Then why bother to join a a forum? If everything is down to individual preference & is of no use to others, then why exchange ideas at all?

It's very easy to avoid "Why Move to the US?" threads if you're sick of them. But why not let us newbies & semi-newbies have at it for our own enlightenment? Who knows, things may have changed since those old threads & you older hands might learn a thing or two too.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 9th 2012 at 1:57 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:08 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Then why bother to join a a forum? If everything is down to individual preference & is of no use to others, then why exchange ideas at all?

It's very easy to avoid "Why Move to the US?" threads if you're sick of them. But why not let us newbies & semi-newbies have at it for our own enlightenment? Who knows, things may have changed since those old threads & you older hands might learn a thing or two too.
He didn't say he was getting sick of them.

He was simply reacting to the 4-post newbie who was trying to tell forum regulars to get back OT.

BE is a forum that has a mix of good information and good banter. That is why most of us joined and why most of us stick around. That might not be for everyone, and there are other forums around if that's the case. That's the beauty of the internet.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

He was simply reacting to the 4-post newbie who was trying to tell forum regulars to get back OT.

BE is a forum that has a mix of good information and good banter. That is why most of us joined and why most of us stick around. That might not be for everyone, and there are other forums around if that's the case. That's the beauty of the internet.
Oh yeah, that's the worst thing that can happen around here. Can't have a newbie upstaging the regulars now can we.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Oh yeah, that's the worst thing that can happen around here. Can't have a newbie upstaging the regulars now can we.
The original topic wasn't "Why did you move to the USA?" anyway, but comparing the choice of the USA to Oz/NZ.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:08 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

What on earth are you on about? No-one was "upstaging" anyone, at least that I could see.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

To get back on topic, I chose the USA for two reasons...

First, and most important, that happens to be where my (then future) wife lives...

...and second, I really don't have an affinity for sheep!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Nor did I. (I said "if" . . .)

As I was simply reacting to his post. Aren't we all allowed to react? Even newbies??

I agree 100%. I like both info & banter, as I think all here do--newbies as well as oldsters.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant future

Catfight!

I"m an American woman, and I so totally enjoy a good forum fight now and then, like that totally makes me immature, but that's okay, like carry on now! You guys rock... not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.