Why the US?

Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:58 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the US?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In a world history class this week in HS, the teacher was talking about the British being happier than the Americans to sacrifice freedoms for security. Apparently we can blame WW2 and its "walls have ears" campaigns, it put our culture in the right frame for this it seems.
I bit my lip.
My sons JH civics teacher was telling the class a couple of weeks back that the UK isn't a democracy because the Queen makes all the laws and tells Parliament to enact them. Wonder what she would make of the reports out this week about the study from Princeton that concluded the US is not a democracy but an oligarchy....
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's the major irony that no American i've ever met gets. I do take solace in the fact there are a LOT of other Americans out there that hate to show ID and see it as an infringement of their right to be 'free'. I commend them.

My wife, for example, feels 'lost' without her ID. I just can't understand it. I only carry my driving licence with me because apparently I can be arrested without it if stopped (I don't need that kind of heat to be frank). In the UK my driving licence was kept in my safe and there it stayed until I got a 7 day wonder or what not.
The irony is that I don't see having an ID and being asked to show it infringes my "freedoms". It is entirely reasonable that when someone does business with me that they know I am really me, and that I can ask the same of people I do business with. How does that infringe on my "freedoms"?

When we all lived in villages such things weren't an issue, but dealing with people you have never met pretty much necessitates that people can verify their identity, doesn't it?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 18th 2014 at 2:09 am.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:07 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
My sons JH civics teacher was telling the class a couple of weeks back that the UK isn't a democracy because the Queen makes all the laws and tells Parliament to enact them. Wonder what she would make of the reports out this week about the study from Princeton that concluded the US is not a democracy but an oligarchy....
To be fair to the teacher, they're partially correct. The UK is less of a democracy than, France, for example. Just wait until big ears becomes King and he starts directly meddling in policy as head of state rather than his current position.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:14 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In a world history class this week in HS, the teacher was talking about the British being happier than the Americans to sacrifice freedoms for security. Apparently we can blame WW2 and its "walls have ears" campaigns, it put our culture in the right frame for this it seems.
I bit my lip.
Britain started sacrificing it's 'freedoms for security' (a phrase so caked in bullshit I don't even know where to begin!) way before the US did imo. Despite the whole NSA spying revelations, at least America is having a conversation about it and partially changing their approach.

The Brits, on the other hand, stuck an ex Foreign Secretary and gentleman who couldn't be more representative of the ruling classes if he tried (Rifkind) to review a department he spent years running! An utter absurdity and affront to democracy. Rifkind is a stooge of the state of the highest merit.

I applaud the Americans for being outraged at what they heard; the idiot Brits care not a jot. I guess that's what happens when the state imposes mass surveillance into everyday life. I am devastated at the surveillance state the UK has become. Just 'offending' people in society now gets plod knocking at the door.

Britain has more in common with the Stasi than they would care to appreciate or realise.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Certainly feels like there are a hell of a lot more police here than the UK, although the perception is probably distorted by the fact that really, the only law enforcement you see over there are the police, whereas here there are sheriffs, state troopers, school district police () etc etc . From reading that list, it looks like the 245 in the US are the actual police, and it excludes the other branches?
I think the difference is that here they (almost) all "patrol" in cars, and are fairly conspicuous, whereas there are more "beat cops" in the UK. Aside from a few cops that patrol on foot in the center of downtown areas, cops on foot in the US are almost as rare as hens teeth.

Certainly I know of only one troubled neighborhood in the nearby town where the duty cops park their cars and patrol on foot (there may be others I am unaware of). One of the officers told me she often parks outside the house of known trouble makers (brothers arrested several times for various thefts, mom's boyfriend a convicted sex offender, one brother awaiting trial for homicide), "just to let them know we're around"!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 18th 2014 at 2:28 am.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:39 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the difference is that here they (almost) all "patrol" in cars, and are fairly conspicuous, whereas there are more "beat cops" in the UK. Aside from a few cops that patrol on foot in the center of downtown areas, cops on foot in the US are almost as rare as hens teeth.

Certainly I know of only one troubled neighborhood in the nearby town where the duty cops park their cars and patrol on foot (there may be others I am unaware of). One of the officers told me she often parks outside the house of known trouble makers (brothers arrested several times for various thefts, mom's boyfriend a convicted sex offender, one brother awaiting trial for homicide), "just to let them know we're around"!
Patrols on foot, in what numbers? I have not seen it, even downtown its pushbikes. Round my way they need about five car loads for any call out.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 4:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Beat cops in our neck of the woods back home are pretty rare too....town of 25000, the police station was closed down a few years ago, and is now covered from a station 10 miles away by a rotating shift of 2 cops who cover an area which includes numerous other villages, around a 10x15 mile area. The only time you see significant numbers of police is when they bus them in on a Saturday night to police the pub area. Apart from that, the only foot officers seen are the community protection types, or whatever they are called. I wonder if they were counted in the figures.

Can't recall ever seeing a foot patrol where we live here...the donut shops are too far apart for that! I think they have foot patrols in downtown...they certainly have bike and horse officers out.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread

It interesting how some of the comments are definitely relative to which part of the uk you live in. I live in Wiltshire in a developing town and this is the first year that I have seen police actively in the community during the school holiday I'm guessing to cut down on anti social behaviour which is getting silly
Keying cars
Braking wing mirrors
Seems to happen more when the clocks go back (to much time on there hands)

I completely agree about littering, barking dogs and not picking up there mess these things are getting worse and no one really to in force the law.
I don't feel like I'm under surveillance got no problem with showing I'd I don't like it when copies are taken of it though
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The wife is American, although swapping Bracknell for the Californian central coast didn't take too much thinking about.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:42 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Is the UK short on marriage worthy women?
Seems on here at least its nearly all UK men with US women.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:43 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
UK women know better
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
UK women know better
Very good...insulting UK men and American women in one post
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:19 am

When I was still in the UK I noticed that my manager, over a four year period had hired ten people, all but one were men (she didn't like hiring women ), but every one of those hires had a foreign spouse/partner! Given that, needless to say, the hiring process didn't include interviewing the spouse, or asking about them, I assume that in London, at least, it is very common for well educated men to have foreign spouses.

The foreign women were from Ireland, Germany, Austria, the US, Russia (2), Ghana, Morocco, Spain, and Ireland; the only woman my manager hired had a husband from New Zealand.
Is the UK short on marriage worthy women? .....
Bad teeth, bad hair, and a pasty complexion.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 18th 2014 at 11:29 am.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mosdefnotabrit
Hi there.
I'm an American who's taken an interest in all things Brit (blame it on British TV), especially about British folks who emigrate. I've noticed that compared to Americans the British are more well-traveled and seem to move abroad at higher rates.

In the US forums here it seems like many British move out of the UK because they think it's going or gone to sh*t, and the US is a supposed to be a much better option. I find this puzzling because in my biased opinion the problems in America are much worse and not improving by any means. Perhaps similar problems appear worse in the UK due to population density and the smaller overall population, but I can guarantee you that America's no blueberry scone.

As one out of 300+ million Americans, I want to ask the Brits who've moved to the US or are seriously considering it, why America?
I came here for money, pure and simple. On the whole however I do enjoy living here.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
To be fair to the teacher, they're partially correct.
I think she has the wrong hand holding the rubber stamp....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.