British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why thank you Mr. Taxman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-thank-you-mr-taxman-728412/)

gatsbygirl8 Aug 13th 2011 2:47 am

Why thank you Mr. Taxman

Last Christmas, nine months after moving to the US, I decided it was about time to let HMRC know we'd moved. Eventually, after having to re-do the forms several times because I kept forgetting about them, I finally mailed them off to the UK. I got a letter back fairly quickly saying thanks, but you're not due a refund. Bummer. Then, this week, a letter arrived for my husband informing him he's due a 344pd refund. Score!

So, the lesson learned folks is that sometimes is DOES pay to do your homework. :thumbup:

britishspouse Aug 15th 2011 1:11 am

Re: Why thank you Mr. Taxman

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8 (Post 9556123)
Last Christmas, nine months after moving to the US, I decided it was about time to let HMRC know we'd moved. Eventually, after having to re-do the forms several times because I kept forgetting about them, I finally mailed them off to the UK. I got a letter back fairly quickly saying thanks, but you're not due a refund. Bummer. Then, this week, a letter arrived for my husband informing him he's due a 344pd refund. Score!

So, the lesson learned folks is that sometimes is DOES pay to do your homework. :thumbup:

hehe awesome!!

Im trying to find a link where I can let them know after I leave. Is there a certain form name, or should I just contact someone and ask around.

Bob Aug 15th 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9559597)
hehe awesome!!

Im trying to find a link where I can let them know after I leave. Is there a certain form name, or should I just contact someone and ask around.

P-85

Though it's easier to get it done before you move.

britishspouse Aug 15th 2011 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9559619)
P-85

Though it's easier to get it done before you move.

ok. thanks :)

fashionista Aug 15th 2011 9:53 am

It's really simple, you just have to send them a copy of your P45 and 2-3 weeks later, the money shows up in your bank account :D (assuming you're due a refund of course). There are companies that offer this as a service, but it's really not worth paying them to do it for you.

Squirrel Aug 15th 2011 11:42 am

Plus it depends when you leave the UK. If you leave in March and have had your full 12 months tax-free allowance (UK tax year being April to March) then you're generally not due a refund.

If you leave in any other month, well count how many months left in the tax year (so if you leave the UK in June and your P45 is month 3 (June), you have July to March left = 9 months. Work out your tax-free allowance based on your tax code (so 747L, add 9 on the end = 7479, divide by 12 to get the monthly amount = £623.25.) £623.25 x 9 = £5609.25. If you only pay tax at 20%, your refund should be 20% of this amount ie £1121.85.