Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is McDonalds so popular in the USA?!

Wikiposts

Why is McDonalds so popular in the USA?!

Old May 19th 2006, 2:20 am
Banned

BloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why is McDonalds so popular in the USA?!

You know, I could always understand how McDonalds could be popular back in England. Let's face it...we have a huge variety of "sit down" restaurants, pubs, bars etc to choose from. But if you want fast food (such as grabbing a quick lunch on the way to work) then your options were pretty limited to KFC, Burger King, Mcdonalds or the chip shop. So if you had a burger craving, or a desire for some greasy bacon cheese fries thing, you were down to two choices.

Hence why all of my local McD's were always jam-packed when all the pubs would kick out and everyone was starving.

Now you come here to the States - and they have many, many fast food places and MANY burger joints. Wendys, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Whattaburger, etc and they are ALL much better than McDonalds in terms of size, quality and price. The US also has a huge variety of restaurants that serve food extremely quickly and at a very cheap price.

So just why do parents take their kids to McDonalds for the cheap shitty decor? Why do people spend $6 on a Big Mac Combo, when you can get a take out steak dinner from a local restaurant for $9?! Filet-O-Fish or Sirloin Steak....hmmmm....

I just don't get it.
Old May 19th 2006, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is McDonalds so popular in the USA?!

Originally Posted by BloodMoon
You know, I could always understand how McDonalds could be popular back in England. Let's face it...we have a huge variety of "sit down" restaurants, pubs, bars etc to choose from. But if you want fast food (such as grabbing a quick lunch on the way to work) then your options were pretty limited to KFC, Burger King, Mcdonalds or the chip shop. So if you had a burger craving, or a desire for some greasy bacon cheese fries thing, you were down to two choices.

Hence why all of my local McD's were always jam-packed when all the pubs would kick out and everyone was starving.

Now you come here to the States - and they have many, many fast food places and MANY burger joints. Wendys, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Whattaburger, etc and they are ALL much better than McDonalds in terms of size, quality and price. The US also has a huge variety of restaurants that serve food extremely quickly and at a very cheap price.

So just why do parents take their kids to McDonalds for the cheap shitty decor? Why do people spend $6 on a Big Mac Combo, when you can get a take out steak dinner from a local restaurant for $9?! Filet-O-Fish or Sirloin Steak....hmmmm....

I just don't get it.
You don't get it. That's OK. The US government forgives you. There's lots of people who'll eat fast food like lambs to the slaughter...
Old May 19th 2006, 2:40 am
Banned

BloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of lightBloodMoon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Celsius
You don't get it. That's OK. The US government forgives you. There's lots of people who'll eat fast food like lambs to the slaughter...
Well let's not turn everything into an economic whirlwind of conspiratorial consequences..I was just asking about burgers, dude.
Old May 19th 2006, 2:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get it.

Dunno.......I don't eat mystery meat.
Old May 19th 2006, 2:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Dunno.......I don't eat mystery meat.
You'd be surprised.
Old May 19th 2006, 2:47 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main reason McDonalds is popular is because kids love it. Happy Meals are a stroke of marketing genius.
Old May 19th 2006, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think the main reason McDonalds is popular is because kids love it. Happy Meals are a stroke of marketing genius.
Agreed. My kids don't really like the food (who does?) but are always begging to go to McDonalds. Why? Because they like the play area and they want the cheap sh1tty plastic toy.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:04 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Agreed. My kids don't really like the food (who does?) but are always begging to go to McDonalds. Why? Because they like the play area and they want the cheap sh1tty plastic toy.
Yes it was the same with the boxes of cereal when I was a kid, even if we didn't really like the cereal we wanted it for the plastic cowboys and indians inside.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be surprised.
What are you talking about
Old May 19th 2006, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Yes that's the only reason I go, when the weather's doing it's extreme thing, to hot or to cold, my Son go's there to play and we always leave with him eating a cold bugger, I'm always amazed at the Parents making there Kid's eat there food before there allowed to play, you would think it cost's them the price of a steak dinner And all I want is a cup of there fowl coffee.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:45 am
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Wimpy's... those were some good burgers.. do Wimpy's still exist? I was trying to explain to a yank the other day that my local wimpy back in the day would charge 5p for a packet of ketchup.. they refused to believe me.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
I miss Wimpy's... those were some good burgers.. do Wimpy's still exist? I was trying to explain to a yank the other day that my local wimpy back in the day would charge 5p for a packet of ketchup.. they refused to believe me.
OMG they were taken over by BK centuries ago.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG they were taken over by BK centuries ago.
yeah i think national milk bars went the same way, does anyone remember them?
Old May 19th 2006, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Reasons I can think of:
          Old May 19th 2006, 4:00 am
          BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
          charge 5p for a packet of ketchup
          Yes - being charged for ketchup (as well as calling it tomato sauce) at a chip shop in the UK gobsmacked my wife...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.