Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:32 am
Just Joined

cranes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Why are interest saving rates so so low in the US, compared to UK? E.g. Citibank offering 0.4% annual saving rate? Where do they save their money?? Doesn't this turn people off from moving to the US?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Originally Posted by cranes
Why are interest saving rates so so low in the US, compared to UK? E.g. Citibank offering 0.4% annual saving rate? Where do they save their money?? Doesn't this turn people off from moving to the US?
I think they UK government is mandating high interest rates on certain short term deposit accounts under a certain amount. After all, the discount interest rate in both countries is 0.5% and US 5/1 ARM mortgage rates are about 3.75% and 30 year fixed mortgage rates are about 4.75%.

Currently the highest interest paid on money market accounts in the US is between about 1.20%-1.35% at online banks such as Capital One, Alley, and ING direct.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

But its not the American dream to save money You should buy a large house that you can JUST about afford, and hope the market doesn't go down...

The upside on the mortgage part to remember is 30 year mortgages have FIXED interest rates for the duration of the loan. That is very different to the UK. So securing a mortgage at today's rates is quite attractive.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Because they can get away with it as people don't seem to care.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
But its not the American dream to save money You should buy a large house that you can JUST about afford, and hope the market doesn't go down...

The upside on the mortgage part to remember is 30 year mortgages have FIXED interest rates for the duration of the loan. That is very different to the UK. So securing a mortgage at today's rates is quite attractive.
IMO buying something that you can 'just about afford' is a recipe for disaster. You could be OK...but it's not a gamble I'm comfortable with and would not take.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO buying something that you can 'just about afford' is a recipe for disaster. You could be OK...but it's not a gamble I'm comfortable with and would not take.
I think you missed by sarcasm
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
I think you missed by sarcasm
Nooooooo...you don't think I am assimilating do you?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
I remember...when a savings account paid 5.0% interest. Twas' a long time ago!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nooooooo...you don't think I am assimilating do you?
Yep, you need to spend at least 3 months back in Yorkshire.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes but RBS (or the British government) is the only large bank in the world that has yet to turn a profit since the credit crisis. It is hard to make a profit when you are offering 3%-5% interest on deposits and lending it out for less than that.

Because RBS isn't turning a profit, its preferred shares are currently paying over 10% interest while most other large banks are paying about 6%-7% on their preferred shares.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 21st 2011 at 4:19 am.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Yes but RBS (or the British government) is the only large bank in the world that has yet to turn a profit since the credit crisis. It is hard to make a profit when you are offering 3%-5% interest on deposits and lending it out for less than that.

Because RBS isn't turning a profit, its preferred shares are currently paying over 10% interest while most other large banks are paying about 6%-7% on their preferred shares.
Aye, but banks over here nickle and dime you a lot more with pretty much everything, so they can afford to offer marginally better interest rates...
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but banks over here nickle and dime you a lot more with pretty much everything, so they can afford to offer marginally better interest rates...
Its not just US banks that are making decent profits now but ING, UBS, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, HBSC, Barclays, and BNP Paribas but RBS is still hurting and Lloyd's is starting to recover.

Of course the Irish and Icelandic banks are basket cases.

Although RBS and Lloyd's are currently trailing behind the other European large banks, I don't think either of those banks have large bond holdings in Greece, Irish Allied Bank, or Portugal so if those countries/bank can't repay their loans in the future, RBS and Lloyd's may come out ahead of many of the other Large European banks.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 21st 2011 at 6:19 am.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I never understood this, I have never yet paid even a penny in fees to Bank of America, the checking account is free, I dont use other banks ATM's, dont after draft.

B of A doesn't even charge me to use my ATM card in Canada as long as I used a Scotia Bank.

Maybe I am lucky..lol

Canadians banks are worse, at my bank 10.95 a month gets you unlimited transactions and the ability to see a teller inside the bank.

3.95 a month gets you 12 monthly transactions and no teller visits.

I'll take US banks any day.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I never understood this, I have never yet paid even a penny in fees to Bank of America, the checking account is free, I dont use other banks ATM's, dont after draft.

B of A doesn't even charge me to use my ATM card in Canada as long as I used a Scotia Bank.
They make their money out of investing your money like most banks. These investments have not necessarily been as fruitful in prior years and that, plus more regulation on things like overdraft changes, means the days of "free" banking are getting smaller and smaller.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranes
Forget savings accounts. A lot of Savings & Loans and credit unions are paying 3% or even as much as 5% interest on their full-service checking accounts now. You just have to use your debit card for purchase transactions a certain number of times each month. Also, these high rates are usually limited to the first $25,000 or $50,000 balance.

Just do a Google search for "high interest checking" or similar and you'll see more information...

We get 3% interest on our checking account, and no fees for anything. We now keep our "emergency savings" there (that is, the recommended 6 months to one year of expenses.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.