Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do so many European born USC vote for the Democrats?

Why do so many European born USC vote for the Democrats?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many European born USC vote for the Democrats?

Republincans often use the arguments like 'you need to pull yourself up by the boot straps' and 'I started with nothing and now look at me" (Donald Trump etc) to support their selfish backward thinking ideas. To focus on a SMALL percentage of the country that have money and success and base your policies on those people is naive and, in my opinion, heading for disaster. Issues of class and poverty (which is terribly extreme in this country, almost third world) are concerns that are mostly ignored in the day to day media circus we watch on TV. Working class people are forgotten. They often work three jobs just to make ends meet. They are kept going with the dangling carrot of the "American Dream" and many give up (drugs, crime) when they realise that the Dream is not for them. This is why I vote Democratic. The Democrats don't offer all the solutions I would like to see, but at least it's a step in the right direction. The Republicans are just a nightmare that never ends IMO.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

None other than the WSJ did a series a couple of years ago on how social mobility was now less in the US than in western Europe, with cost and access to healthcare and college being two large factors. For a society that likes to think of itself as egalitarian, that's a pretty shocking indictment.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valis
Anyone recall where the Euro is against the dollar at the moment?
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I seem to remember, the Americans taking the pee out of the Euro. Funny, Euro, should now be the international currency.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:25 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case she was wrong because the people of the UK didn't vote for Brown to be PM.
We never do. You only vote for an MP
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:33 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
Republincans often use the arguments like 'you need to pull yourself up by the boot straps' and 'I started with nothing and now look at me" (Donald Trump etc) to support their selfish backward thinking ideas. To focus on a SMALL percentage of the country that have money and success and base your policies on those people is naive and, in my opinion, heading for disaster. Issues of class and poverty (which is terribly extreme in this country, almost third world) are concerns that are mostly ignored in the day to day media circus we watch on TV. Working class people are forgotten. They often work three jobs just to make ends meet. They are kept going with the dangling carrot of the "American Dream" and many give up (drugs, crime) when they realise that the Dream is not for them. This is why I vote Democratic. The Democrats don't offer all the solutions I would like to see, but at least it's a step in the right direction. The Republicans are just a nightmare that never ends IMO.
Excellent post!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:35 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Exactly Thyd, I have had to explain this to quite a few people. They do ask and are quite interested as it is so different to American elections. They didn't realise we vote for our local MP and then the party with the majority (can't remember the exact numbers) gets to run the Government and pick the cabinet. It does take some explaining about the whole leader of the party being the PM thing though.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Excellent post!!!!
YMA, are you salivating?
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Yes they do...I should have said there wasn't a general election.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:41 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

Most Americans are centrists, not hardcore conservatives. For presidential elections, they will switch parties depending upon their mood and the candidate.
I believe this too. I also think it can go the other way as well. With Clinton and Obama still duking it out then some Dems. will switch to the Reps. to vote McCain. I think he is a lot more moderate compared to most Reps. (even though I lean slightly right of centre most of the Reps. scare the hell out of me) and seen as an alternative to Clinton and Obama.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:44 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes they do...I should have said there wasn't a general election.
any time people mention Gordon Brown coming to power without a general election as if it's somehow unique to Britain they should be reminded that Gerald Ford became president of the USA without the electorate ever voting for him.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:52 am
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
YMA, are you salivating?
Reg. Frank R.
Just giving credit where its due.BTW,you better get on board for the general election.I respect your loyalty for the Clintons.But Obama nor Clinton are more important than protecting our future.

Voting for a John McCain led republican party is very dangerous for young people serving in the military.I can't vote to send more kids to their demise for a war that was started because of weapons of mass destruction.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by elfman
any time people mention Gordon Brown coming to power without a general election as if it's somehow unique to Britain they should be reminded that Gerald Ford became president of the USA without the electorate ever voting for him.
To be fair to Ford though, he never ran the budget for Britain before he took office. He also didn't scheme his way into the Presidency.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Just giving credit where its due.BTW,you better get on board for the general election.I respect your loyalty for the Clintons.But Obama nor Clinton are more important than protecting our future.

Voting for a John McCain led republican party is very dangerous for young people serving in the military.I can't vote to send more kids to their demise for a war that was started because of weapons of mass destruction.
Ok, YMA, just for you.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sime303
To be fair to Ford though, he never ran the budget for Britain before he took office. He also didn't scheme his way into the Presidency.
He was to busy falling over
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by frrussre
Ok, YMA, just for you.
Reg. Frank R.

I'm a work in progress to like you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.