British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why do people want to immigrate to the US? (geography project - please help!!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-do-people-want-immigrate-us-geography-project-please-help-106640/)

Babybluebelles Feb 12th 2002 4:53 pm

Argh!! I've got a geography project on Why people migrate to the US and I have not found any information that I could use on the internet. Please help! Thanx

Jb Feb 12th 2002 10:52 pm

Babybluebelles wrote:
    >
    >
    >

You didn't mention what you've tried so far. I assume you're familiar with web search
engines. There must be something out there.

www.google.com -> search "US immigration history reasons"

http://dmoz.org/Society/Genealogy/Immigration/
http://www.ancestry.com/library/view...eorge/1436.asp

search "US immigration reasons"

http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/...migration.html
http://www2.wgbh.org/MBCWEIS/immigrantmap.html

Terje Johan Abrahams Feb 13th 2002 1:50 am

in message

[usenetquote2]>> Argh!! I've got a geography project on Why people migrate to the US and I have not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> found any information that I could use on the internet. Please help! Thanx[/usenetquote2]

It is totally depending on where the person comes from. A person from Scandinavia
will most likely have completely different reasons than a person from Pakistan. I
think you should narrow your question somehow.

James Donovan Feb 13th 2002 2:59 am

Babybluebelles <[email protected]>
    >
    >

First place to start is the statistics on legal immigration available on the INS
website at www.ins.gov. Numbers do the most talking.

Cheers James.

Melinda Mackenzie Feb 13th 2002 3:13 am

I had all these things (except the no monarchy bit) in my home country. I came to
America initially to meet online friends and stayed because I fell in love with
someone who lives here.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Argh!! I've got a geography project on Why people migrate to the US and I have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not found any information that I could use on the internet. Please help! Thanx[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

>

Maarten W.G. Andries Feb 13th 2002 6:13 am

>
    >

Well here's an answer based on international relationships:

I'm immigrating to the United States because my wife is a U.S. Citizen. In an
international relationship you have to make compromises. She has lived with me in The
Netherlands for more then 4 years, and now it is her turn to show me her country, and
her way of life.

If you marry with a foreigner there is always one of the two that will have to leave
his/her country behind, and it is totally unfair to expect this from only one side of
the relationship. And this, my friend is my main reason for immigration. For love and
our international marriage.

Further, I am almost certain that the U.S. is not our final destination in life, as
we have family on each side of the ocean. For now, the United States is our
destination, and we expect to be there for at least 5 years or so.

Maarten

Shotgun Feb 15th 2002 10:25 am

Re: Why do people want to immigrate to the US? (geography project - please help!!)

Because most of them live in Third World shitholes filled with poverty, disease,
illiteracy, violence and intolerance.

Who wouldn't want to immigrate?

"Babybluebelles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Argh!! I've got a geography project on Why people migrate to the US and I have not
    > found any information that I could use on the internet. Please help! Thanx
    >
    > --
    > Sent via BritishExpats Forums: http://britishexpats.com

James Donovan Feb 15th 2002 3:25 pm

Re: Why do people want to immigrate to the US? (geography project - please help!!)

"Shotgun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Because most of them live in Third World shitholes filled with poverty, disease,
    > illiteracy, violence and intolerance.

I am sure your ancestors were real civilized, eating dead rats and thinking that the
world was flat.

>
    > Who wouldn't want to immigrate?

Your ****ing ancestors if they knew you would be born here as a result, you moron.

Shotgun Feb 15th 2002 8:05 pm

What shithole did you crawl out of? For a person so obviously against intolerance,
you seem to have a wide streak of the curse yourself.

"James Donovan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Shotgun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Because most of them live in Third World shitholes filled with poverty, disease,
    > > illiteracy, violence and intolerance.
    >
    > I am sure your ancestors were real civilized, eating dead rats and thinking that
    > the world was flat.
    >
    > >
    > > Who wouldn't want to immigrate?
    >
    > Your ****ing ancestors if they knew you would be born here as a result, you moron.

Mark Yanoti Feb 16th 2002 1:45 am

> > > Because most of them live in Third World shitholes filled with poverty,
    > > > disease, illiteracy, violence and intolerance.
    > >

I myself is from third world, I do agree with what all you have said and I would like
to add that we are also coward, we do not like to confront and change tough and
difficult situations, instead when I have a chance I like to turn my back and run
away . I just don't think that you would have done any different , if U were born in
Third world. I also don't think that you are any different, the only difference is
you were born in US and not in Afganistan or Pakistan or else you would have been one
among them. Think about this, this will bring much more happiness in ur life and you
would atleast appreciate your parents.

James Donovan Feb 16th 2002 3:45 am

"Shotgun" <[email protected]> the redneck top posting newbie, sputtered:

> What shithole did you crawl out of?

Why do you assume I crawled out of a "shithole"? I'm a Brit born in the US if that's
what you mean.

> For a person so obviously against intolerance, you seem to have a wide streak of
    > the curse yourself.

I just hate bald faced bigotry and plain racism. This group is about helping people
with their legal immigration issues. It's not a place for you to post your bigoted
views on people of other races or of different national origin. There are other
newsgroups for that.

Shotgun Feb 16th 2002 4:25 am

I know (chuckle). That's one of the raving hypocrisies of liberalism. To attack
intolerance, you yourself must be very intolerant. Liberalism also hates big
government, but must demand big government in order to pass laws that force
liberalism's will on others.

It's all the same game. You're intolerant, I'm intolerant. The news is the same, only
the names change.

> "Shotgun" <[email protected]> the redneck top posting newbie, sputtered:
    >
    > > What shithole did you crawl out of?
    >
    > Why do you assume I crawled out of a "shithole"? I'm a Brit born in the US if
    > that's what you mean.
    >
    > > For a person so obviously against intolerance, you seem to have a wide streak of
    > > the curse yourself.
    >
    > I just hate bald faced bigotry and plain racism. This group is about helping people
    > with their legal immigration issues. It's not a place for you to post your bigoted
    > views on people of other races or of different national origin. There are other
    > newsgroups for that.

James Donovan Feb 16th 2002 4:45 pm

His ancestors ran away from England/Ireland or wherever because they couldn't stand
up for their religious freedom there.

Shotgun Feb 16th 2002 11:45 pm

Actually, it was Wales. And when you refer to ancestors, how far to you go back in
time? Go back far enough and our ancestors were all primitive fish in the sea.

Am I being silly? Sure I am, because ancestry has nothing to do with the here and now
of reality.

> His ancestors ran away from England/Ireland or wherever because they couldn't stand
    > up for their religious freedom there.