Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do people think that the Philippines....

Why do people think that the Philippines....

Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough
Default Why do people think that the Philippines....

is an asian country, I think that filipinos are unique and are their own category. Here is a picture of a pure filipina, does she look asian to you.

Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

what continent is it on?
Asia or oceana?
who cares?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by manc1976
what continent is it on?
Asia or oceana?
who cares?
Actually its on its own plate, the philippine plate. So there is another reason why it should be labeled as its own category.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she does look Asian to me.

I used to live in South East Asia and there are many different ethnic differences.

Filipinas don't look very different to the Malays, Burmese or Indonesians.

Asians typically have black coarse hair, very dark brown eyes - generally but not always - almond shaped. Noses are often broad, especially in the Philippines. Skin colour varies but tends to be a light brown. There is constant advertising though for women all over Asia to use bleaching creams for a 'fair complexion'. (Just as Victorian women in England kept out of the sun so it didn't look as if they worked on the land).

The Filipina in the photo looks as if she's from one of the remote hill-tribes - she looks very regal. I love her sarong-style skirt!

Did you take the photo?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:01 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why do people think that the Philippines....

Originally posted by ejay1
is an asian country, I think that filipinos are unique and are their own category. Here is a picture of a pure filipina, does she look asian to you.

philippines are malays. just like malasians and indonesians, among other south eastern asia countries. i'd call them malay-sians, if not orientals.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What does your post have to do with the USA? You do realize you've posted in the USA forum, don't you?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Englishmum
Yes, she does look Asian to me.

I used to live in South East Asia and there are many different ethnic differences.

Filipinas don't look very different to the Malays, Burmese or Indonesians.

Asians typically have black coarse hair, very dark brown eyes - generally but not always - almond shaped. Noses are often broad, especially in the Philippines. Skin colour varies but tends to be a light brown. There is constant advertising though for women all over Asia to use bleaching creams for a 'fair complexion'. (Just as Victorian women in England kept out of the sun so it didn't look as if they worked on the land).

The Filipina in the photo looks as if she's from one of the remote hill-tribes - she looks very regal. I love her sarong-style skirt!

Did you take the photo?
Nah I didn't take the pic, shes from the ifugao tribe. You know the one famous for the rice terraces. I did this because Im filipino and I don't consider myself asian. And I didn't post it on the far east forum because that place is dead.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Emerald11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Filipinos were a combination of Chinese and Spanish. When the Spaniards invaded the Philippines in the 1500s and occupied it for over 300 years. I used to date a guy from the Phillippines and his family looked more hispanic than asian.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Emerald11
I thought Filipinos were a combination of Chinese and Spanish. When the Spaniards invaded the Philippines in the 1500s and occupied it for over 300 years. I used to date a guy from the Phillippines and his family looked more hispanic than asian.

No were not Im pure filipino with no spanish or chinese blood. That is a stereotype .
Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:32 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

What has this to do with the US and immigration?
Old Apr 28th 2004, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Are they English ??? No then they are all Johnny Foreigner and are lucky we have not sent a gunboat round to sort them out damn it ! ( tongue firmly in cheek )

Last edited by doctor scrumpy; May 1st 2004 at 10:24 am.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:04 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

They say everyone has a double, she looks just like Mrs Wing Yip from my local chinese take away...

What are the chances of that eh!...
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

People think they're Asian because they are! The Philippines is part of the Asian continent - it's not a continent on it's own!
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Actually its on its own plate, the philippine plate. So there is another reason why it should be labeled as its own category.
Sorry old cock, the Philippines is on the Eurasian Plate; the Philippines Plate being to the north and east:

Further disappointment: most Pinoys are Malay - asian.

The connection: no preferential immigration for Pinoys.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AlisonPA
People think they're Asian because they are! The Philippines is part of the Asian continent - it's not a continent on it's own!
Exactly! Continents are based on visible land masses, not tectonic plates.

Whether a Philippino considers him/ her self Asian is wholly immaterial to the facts of the matter. Asia is a geographic area that starts in the west with the part of Russia east of the Urals (plus sundry other Russian satellite states), the part of Turkey to the east of the Bosphorus, Syria, and Isreal (and as a side note, I doubt that many Israelis consider themselves to be Asian either!), and extends east as far as the eastern tip of Russia, Japan, and Indonesia.

Thus Asia includes the whole of Saudia Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Vietnam, China etc. These nationalities are all clearly quite distinctive, and India and China has several different peoples, so to say "Here is a Philippina, she doesn't look Asian", is nonsense.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 30th 2004 at 8:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.