Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Still though, when you think of all the trials that go on everyday, that's pretty rare.
I suppose it is but as it was the first time I'd been called it didn't feel like it.

Originally Posted by Rete
Also the jury might not meet every day and/or meet the a full day. Unless they are sequestered, they can go to work on the off hours.

I know that Grand Jury duty for federal court in Manhattan is a three/six month stretch but they only meet twice a week and not for a full day.
We were told the jury would be required to meet from 8.30 am to 4.00 pm Mon to Thurs every week.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It's rare that a trial lasts more than a few days. It's really only the media trials that last that long. Even a capital murder case, unless it is sexy enough for national media, are relatively short. As much as possible, personal hardships are taken into account during the selection process. Honestly, how often have you heard of somebody's life being ruined because they had to sit on a jury?
I've only heard of trials that go on for weeks/months. I can appreciate the vast majority only last a few days at most.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I become a Citizen on Friday. My excuse is - I'll be here indefinitely and I'd like to be able to vote some corrupt local officials out of office
Or you could even become one yourself once you're a citizen!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've only heard of trials that go on for weeks/months. I can appreciate the vast majority only last a few days at most.
And most times people get called for jury duty and just sit in the jury room and read a book for a day, and that's their service commitment taken care of -- off they go back to work the next day! Of course, if you are in an urban area with a lot of courts working and a big demand for jurors, your mileage may differ.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And most times people get called for jury duty and just sit in the jury room and read a book for a day, and that's their service commitment taken care of -- off they go back to work the next day! Of course, if you are in an urban area with a lot of courts working and a big demand for jurors, your mileage may differ.
Yep - that's what happened to me. Even those who weren't selected were told that they'd fulfilled their civic duty simply by being there. Often knowing that enough jurors are available for trial is enough by itself to trigger plea bargains and out of court settlements. I think I can't be called again for another 2-3 years.

I had a high jury pool number (50+ I think) and I thought my chances of being selected were slim. However, the prosecution and defense lawyers objected to quite a few jurors and it got into the mid 40s before the jury and alternates were finally selected. So I was definitely sweating a bit! The case was projected to last 3-5 days but ended up lasting 7 days I believe.

During a briefing before jury selection we were told of a recent case that lasted 9 months. My employer pays employees while on jury duty so I wasn't too concerned. However, there were many people in the room who were not in the same position - many were concerned about the financial and logistical issues raised by being on a jury.

Yes - I know it's our civic duty as citizens to serve if called upon and that we too would like the right to a jury trial if we ever got ourselves into a bad situation. Like I said before, that doesn't mean that we will enjoy the experience of serving on a jury. Being willing to do something is not the same thing as wanting to do it or enjoying it. Some people may see jury duty as a benefit of gaining US citizenship but I'll guess that most do not.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We were told the jury would be required to meet from 8.30 am to 4.00 pm Mon to Thurs every week.

Hmmm not what I was told when I was attending jury selection in federal court. Ahhh but times change.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmm not what I was told when I was attending jury selection in federal court. Ahhh but times change.
This was at the County Court. It's quite a commitment isn't it...approx 8 hrs per day, 4 days per week for approx 3 months?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Or you could even become one yourself once you're a citizen!
Generally, you don't need to be a USC to run for office... except for POTUS/VPOTUS and similar positions.

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Generally, you don't need to be a USC to run for office... except for POTUS/VPOTUS and similar positions.

Ian
What do you mean I can't be President?

What a waste of my $750....
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean I can't be President?

What a waste of my $750....
$750? Did it go up recently?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
$750? Did it go up recently?
$680, I just couldn't be bothered to look it up. But still a waste!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

$680, I just couldn't be bothered to look it up. But still a waste!
Didn't mean to be an anorak! I was almost feeling bad there for a minute

But at least it's the last money you'll have to give to USCIS. I look at it that way.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
You can't be elected to the US Congress (Senate or House of Representatives) if you're not a US citizen. Not sure about the state governments.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 26th 2011 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:24 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by airways
Is it to make getting through the border easier or something deeper?

I am quite looking forward to the move to the USA. The culture, the weather, the standard of living etc. An opportunity to immerse in a different way of doing things. But I cant ever see myself wanting to become a USC. I am proud of being British and having lived outside of the UK many times I understand the importance of fitting in but I do not see fitting in requiring to become part of the fabric of the fabric of the host country.

I can also see loads of downsides like having to do duplicate tax returns even when you leave the country!

What do others think?
I lived on a green card for past 19 years in USA. Then last year, got my US citizenship. Reasons:

- I can leave the country for more than a year without fear of losing US residency
- can vote in USA
- can keep my British citizenship (didn't used to be the case)
- more choices: moving around, travel, potential future progeny!
- you can collect "welfare" benefits if needed -- heaven forbid

Downsides:
- have to file US taxes for rest of life even if living in UK (but you only get taxed once). Learned this from the forum, not when I applied for USC!
- have to do jury duty when your name comes up
- whole USC process takes about $1000 all told (including US passport). All costs tripled last year.

Last edited by citizenmarie; Jan 28th 2011 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So I had my ceremony this morning

They need to administer one last test - if you're dressed in anything less than a shirt and tie for the ceremony you shouldn't be allowed Citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.