Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:11 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I become a Citizen on Friday. My excuse is - I'll be here indefinitely and I'd like to be able to vote some corrupt local officials out of office

Might as well have some fun while you're here! Congrats on the citizenship as well.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:30 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Maybe some people can't afford it?

I know we'd be up shit creak without a paddle if the missus had to take the time to do it, time off ain't the problem, but it's unpaid, and you only get $60 a week doing jury duty, whoopie when parking is $20 a day.
She would probably qualify for an exemption.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
What do those people do who have to sit on a jury for a 6 months or more, I can't think they only get $60 a week?!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer she didn't, because she had passed on the first notice because of work commitments. As it was, we were just about okay then, and she didn't get selected for anything, so only a day out, but the next case was a big grand jury, okay she wouldn't have been allowed to have been on that jury as we knew the victims family.
What do those people do who have to sit on a jury for a 6 months or more, I can't think they only get $60 a week?!
They also get lunch paid for!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I have chosen the US as my home and have no plans to go back to the UK to live. My primary reason was I really do want to make a commitment to the US and in return I want a commitment from the US. To me this means being on the same level as every other USC when it comes to voting, tax and social security issues. I want to come and go as I please and say goodbye to the USCIS. Also my kids are USC's. Finally, for reasons I don't want to discuss publicly, there are very advantageous career options in my chosen field only available to USC's. This will mean surrendering my UK passport, which is absolutely OK by me....

- Tim

PS We have discussed this many times over the years in IMHO there is no right or wrong answer, it is totally up to you. However as contributors upthread have already commented, there are plenty of examples on this site of posters who really wish they had gone through with getting citizenship before their circumstances changed and they lost their green card for a multitude of reasons.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Well, yes. But my point was that you could potentially place yourself at risk somewhere in the world by simply being discovered to be a USC.

It certainly might help if you have a valid non-US passport available to whip out at a moment's notice after you are apprehended by someone who is pissed off at America!

Since passports are expensive, many USC's with multiple citizenships only hold a valid US passport (because, as a USC, you must have a US passport when departing/entering the US). They often let their other passport(s) expire because they think they don't need them. This is the danger I was trying to point out.

I don't buy this argument. If you are going to put your self in a position where you might possibly meet someone somewhere who is angry at the US, they will probably be equally unhappy with you if you pull out another passport of another western country. I think that giving those places a wide berth in the first place woad be a much more prudent course of action.

- Tim
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It took me about 10 years to take the plunge. Maybe I was taking it a little too seriously but I didn't think it was right to become a USC purely for convenience. In the end I took the plunge but I feel like a fraud because I will never think of myself anything other than British.

There is no way on earth I would ever give up my UK citizenship.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It took me about 10 years to take the plunge. Maybe I was taking it a little too seriously but I didn't think it was right to become a USC purely for convenience. In the end I took the plunge but I feel like a fraud because I will never think of myself anything other than British.

There is no way on earth I would ever give up my UK citizenship.
I still refer to myself as British as well. No-one would really know given that I still have a Belfast accent and it wouldn't be their business that I am also a USC anyway

Had I to surrender my UK passport and citizenship I wouldn't have done it. It's much nicer to have the best of both worlds anyway.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Maybe some people can't afford it?

I know we'd be up shit creak without a paddle if the missus had to take the time to do it, time off ain't the problem, but it's unpaid, and you only get $60 a week doing jury duty, whoopie when parking is $20 a day.

Bob, I realize that for some people that is a problem. I've been fortunate, as was my husband, to have always worked for employers who paid you your regular salary if you served jury duty. I wasn't addressing those people but those who are in like situation with myself.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's rare that a trial lasts more than a few days. It's really only the media trials that last that long. Even a capital murder case, unless it is sexy enough for national media, are relatively short. As much as possible, personal hardships are taken into account during the selection process. Honestly, how often have you heard of somebody's life being ruined because they had to sit on a jury?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's rare that a trial lasts more than a few days. It's really only the media trials that last that long. Even a capital murder case, unless it is sexy enough for national media, are relatively short. As much as possible, personal hardships are taken into account during the selection process. Honestly, how often have you heard of somebody's life being ruined because they had to sit on a jury?
A friend of mine in England sat on a fraud trial for 6 months, they were warned at the start that it would be long and people were given a chance to get out. I believe she was paid by her employer (a London Borough).
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I was called for jury duty 3 years ago the judge warned that the case would last approx 3 months...it was a double murder trial.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:36 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A friend of mine in England sat on a fraud trial for 6 months, they were warned at the start that it would be long and people were given a chance to get out. I believe she was paid by her employer (a London Borough).
My job will pay us (within reason) but I seriously doubt they would go for 6 months. We have school, child care, health, etc, exemptions in Texas. You don't have to take them even if you qualify but they are available. If a person was to tell the judge, "I'll lose my job and my house if I have to serve on this jury", they'd probably get excused. It is no coincidence that a lot of retired people sit on juries though.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:38 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When I was called for jury duty 3 years ago the judge warned that the case would last approx 3 months...it was a double murder trial.
Still though, when you think of all the trials that go on everyday, that's pretty rare.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also the jury might not meet every day and/or meet the a full day. Unless they are sequestered, they can go to work on the off hours.

I know that Grand Jury duty for federal court in Manhattan is a three/six month stretch but they only meet twice a week and not for a full day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.