Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by Rete
I cannot understand why anyone would object to jury duty. At least this crowd here. You are all working, paying taxes, some of you may be a victim to crime while in the US and yet if you are a USC you object to jury duty. Hey you aren't alone. Many USC's feel the same way.

I don't consider it a hardship but a privilege and my duty as a member of society to perform my duty as a citizen in the efforts to provide a fair jury for the determination of who is a criminal and some type of vindication for the victim of that crime.
It's no big deal to me. If I get called I'm happy to serve. I look at it this way - being a USC enables me to travel freely to the UK for as long as I want to with no danger of being turned away when I return. If I have to spend a few hours/days/weeks in court for that privilege it is a fair deal IMHO.

Plus, I'm just nerdy enough that I'd probably find it interesting to watch the whole process et cetera
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
But when you can have both (or really all of those passports) that's not really a consideration.
Well, yes. But my point was that you could potentially place yourself at risk somewhere in the world by simply being discovered to be a USC.

It certainly might help if you have a valid non-US passport available to whip out at a moment's notice after you are apprehended by someone who is pissed off at America!

Since passports are expensive, many USC's with multiple citizenships only hold a valid US passport (because, as a USC, you must have a US passport when departing/entering the US). They often let their other passport(s) expire because they think they don't need them. This is the danger I was trying to point out.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Well, yes. But my point was that you could potentially place yourself at risk somewhere in the world by simply being discovered to be a USC.

It certainly might help if you have a valid non-US passport available to whip out at a moment's notice after you are apprehended by someone who is pissed off at America!

Since passports are expensive, many USC's with multiple citizenships only hold a valid US passport (because, as a USC, you must have a US passport when departing/entering the US). They often let their other passport(s) expire because they think they don't need them. This is the danger I was trying to point out.
It's OK though - I've given so much of my money to USCIS over the last 5 years, I don't have any left to travel internationally anyway
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot understand why anyone would object to jury duty. At least this crowd here. You are all working, paying taxes, some of you may be a victim to crime while in the US and yet if you are a USC you object to jury duty. Hey you aren't alone. Many USC's feel the same way.

I don't consider it a hardship but a privilege and my duty as a member of society to perform my duty as a citizen in the efforts to provide a fair jury for the determination of who is a criminal and some type of vindication for the victim of that crime.
I'm not objecting. As a USC, it's my civic duty to serve on a jury if called upon - and I'll do it. That doesn't mean that I have to enjoy it. Some people will enjoy it, some won't. Maybe I would. Maybe some people enjoy paying taxes which is also very important - I don't know.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's OK though - I've given so much of my money to USCIS over the last 5 years, I don't have any left to travel internationally anyway
LOL! I think I know how you feel. I just forked out almost $300 yesterday for a couple of US passport renewals. When they arrive, my family can travel again - but not sure we can afford to.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

I'm not objecting. As a USC, it's my civic duty to serve on a jury if called upon - and I'll do it. That doesn't mean that I have to enjoy it. Some people will enjoy it, some won't. Maybe I would. Maybe some people enjoy paying taxes which is also very important - I don't know.
Does having a criminal record make you inadmissible to sit on a jury the same as the UK?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
I have a comma problem

LOL! I think I know how you feel. I just forked out almost $300 yesterday for a couple of US passport renewals. When they arrive, my family can travel again - but not sure we can afford to.
At least that's just every 10 years now. Better to pay a passport renewal every 10 years than a GC renewal I think
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm happy to serve.
I agree. There are many countries where the criminal justice process is too easily abused because there is no public oversight.

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I agree. There are many countries where the criminal justice process is too easily abused because there is no public oversight.

Ian
I don't see the issue with it myself. If people aren't prepared to serve on a jury, should they be entitled to have one themselves, should they end up in court?

Probably not in principle, but they still get one.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is, that the UK passport probably isn't a great alternative to the US in many situations. I somehow managed to have long-standing plans to travel overseas within a day or two of each of the Gulf Wars commencing, and joked at the time that here I was with two passports, and neither of them would be looked upon kindly by the "other side"!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for asking this question, Airways, as it is one I have been thinking of asking myself. I suppose I started with the same thought as your as "I'm British and proud of it!", but they no longer make you "give up your British nationality". My British friend here became a citizen as soon as she could, but I have held back thinking it is something I should get around to, one day.

I'm not a great political person, never have been; but I can see having the right to vote is certainly a plus. My husband is concerned the way social security is going over here right now and is worried I may get denied certain things if I don't become a citizen soon.
I love being in this country, while not everyone has welcomed me with open arms, my experiences have been mostly positive.
I love my homeland too, and no-one will ever take that away from me, way too many ties and memories to do that.. but I can see that it would make sense to become a citizen - and really is something I shall do, sooner rather than later.
Right now I'm studying to try and get better employment and so the thought of studying American history,on top of what I'm already trying to squeeze into a very full brain, is not something I relish. But, I will.

Thanks again for asking the question for me. It has been very interesting to read the responses... and all of them positive!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
LOL, ah OK so if I want to become a career criminal it will be a benefit.....
Well you can get deported very easily...might not think of being a criminal, but say you got busted for drink driving and got into an accident? Got caught pushing someone over in a fight and end up with an assault record?

Best reason though is not having to deal with US immigration and the flexibility to bugger off to any other country you fancy and not having to worry about not being able to get back if that's where you prefer to be in the end.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
This, in a nutshell.

I think the more pertinent question is more "Why do People Not Take US Citizenship"? The jury duty and endless tax returns are only a small price to pay, IMO.
Perhaps if you have a UK security clearance and wanted to go back and get it again?

Though you've got that double edged sword of maybe not getting it because of ties, just like people who got USC in hopes of getting clearance and finding they still get denied because of ties to other country.

Or maybe plans to retire to Cuba?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Maybe some people can't afford it?

I know we'd be up shit creak without a paddle if the missus had to take the time to do it, time off ain't the problem, but it's unpaid, and you only get $60 a week doing jury duty, whoopie when parking is $20 a day.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I become a Citizen on Friday. My excuse is - I'll be here indefinitely and I'd like to be able to vote some corrupt local officials out of office

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.