British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why Do People Take US Citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-do-people-take-us-citizenship-702082/)

airways Jan 24th 2011 10:31 am

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Is it to make getting through the border easier or something deeper?

I am quite looking forward to the move to the USA. The culture, the weather, the standard of living etc. An opportunity to immerse in a different way of doing things. But I cant ever see myself wanting to become a USC. I am proud of being British and having lived outside of the UK many times I understand the importance of fitting in but I do not see fitting in requiring to become part of the fabric of the fabric of the host country.

I can also see loads of downsides like having to do duplicate tax returns even when you leave the country!

What do others think?

tonrob Jan 24th 2011 11:05 am

Re: Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by airways (Post 9124548)

I am quite looking forward to the move to the USA. The culture, the weather, the standard of living etc. An opportunity to immerse in a different way of doing things. But I cant ever see myself wanting to become a USC. I am proud of being British and having lived outside of the UK many times I understand the importance of fitting in but I do not see fitting in requiring to become part of the fabric of the fabric of the host country.

I can also see loads of downsides like having to do duplicate tax returns even when you leave the country!

What do others think?

There have been many threads on this subject. Search for those to see a variety of views and discussion on the pros and cons.

Zoe Bell Jan 24th 2011 12:23 pm

I'd say the ability to vote must be a big factor

Sue Jan 24th 2011 12:28 pm

As tonrob mentioned, we've had quite a few threads about this topic, so if you do a search you will have lots to read. We've also got a page about it in the wiki. It's called Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship

Sherlock Holmes Jan 24th 2011 12:35 pm

For me it was something deeper - maybe just respect for my host country.

On more practical grounds (tax returns aside) many people qualify for citizenship of their chosen new country and don't take it when they can. Then their circumstances change and they may have to leave for a period of time. Then later in life they find that they want to return to that same country and without citizenship, they have to go through the whole immigration process again (if they still qualify).

So, it seems sensible to keep your options open when and while you have the chance.

ian-mstm Jan 24th 2011 1:23 pm

I am proud of being British...

Even if you do become a USC there's no requirement to give up your UK citizenship, so you can continue to be proud of being British. :)

Ian

Awesome Welles Jan 24th 2011 1:31 pm

USC's can't be removed, or denied entry into the country, however naughty they are....

airways Jan 24th 2011 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9124906)
Even if you do become a USC there's no requirement to give up your UK citizenship, so you can continue to be proud of being British. :)

Ian

I realise that you end of with dual citizenship but really I was just curious about peoples motivations in becoming a USC. I like to think that being British is part of what makes me, me. I would expect to integrate with my hosts but not sure about wanting to be one of them.

I read the threads on the pros and cons. I was more interested in the personal motivations really.

airways Jan 24th 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9124926)
USC's can't be removed, or denied entry into the country, however naughty they are....

LOL, ah OK so if I want to become a career criminal it will be a benefit..... ;)

ian-mstm Jan 24th 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by airways (Post 9124934)
I was more interested in the personal motivations really.

Fair enough! :) I guess part of it boils down to how you ended up in the US. If you got here via employment, then perhaps there's no good reason to become a USC other than you can't be refused entry to the US. For others, like me who married a USC, there are several personal reasons... not least of which is freeing the USC of their financial obligation under the I-864. That was the big one for me... well, that and being able to vote - which turned me into a participant in the process rather than a bystander! I'd also like to serve on a jury, but that opportunity hasn't yet presented itself.

Ian

NatashaB Jan 24th 2011 1:54 pm

I will probably do my citizenship exam assuming we get our green cards with no problems. Partly loyalty to a country that is giving us a far better lifestyle and rewards than we get in the UK (and Taco Bell :D), partly for estate tax reasons as we plan to be here permanently, partly for custody reasons as my stepdaughter's mother is a USC and there seems to be no definitive answer as to whether it would go against us if we are not. I don't see any of my family wanting to move out here, but I would want to be able to sponsor them if they did.

I am having a baby which will be a USC/UKC and it makes sense that I also have both citizenships (otherwise if I return to the UK at some point they could remain here and I would have to start again with the visa process if I wanted to come back and live here).

airways Jan 24th 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9124961)
Fair enough! :) I guess part of it boils down to how you ended up in the US. If you got here via employment, then perhaps there's no good reason to become a USC other than you can't be refused entry to the US. For others, like me who married a USC, there are several personal reasons... not least of which is freeing the USC of their financial obligation under the I-864. That was the big one for me... well, that and being able to vote - which turned me into a participant in the process rather than a bystander! I'd also like to serve on a jury, but that opportunity hasn't yet presented itself.

Ian

Thanks for the reply. What is the I-864 obligation?

I guess for me as we are going in for employment I just see it as an opportunity to spend time in another country and experience a different lifestyle. I don't have the emotional ties of having family in the US and don't really plan beyond the end of my nose!

I find it really interesting to understand peoples motivations!

Duncan Roberts Jan 24th 2011 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by airways (Post 9124934)
I read the threads on the pros and cons. I was more interested in the personal motivations really.

Because I can come and go as I please and work for anyone without having to worry about my status. If I want to leave for a decade and live elsewhere then on a whim decide to move back the next day, I can without any immigration issues. Never having to deal with USCIS again for renewals or telling them where I live is a very big motivator as well. Without citizenship there will always be strings attached allowing you to stay in the US which could change at any time. Voting. Option to work jobs that require US citizenship.

I don't know about other people but citizenship of any country doesn't define who you are or what you are proud of. Just because you take citizenship of another country it doesn't mean that your life up to that point is void and you have to think differently.

Keith Jan 24th 2011 2:21 pm

What do others think?

I came here to start a new life for my family and became a citizen ASAP.

Thats because after 5 years I had become as attached to my new country as I was to th UK.

Over the last 47 years I am totaly Canadian in my thoughts. As much as I am proud of my British heritage this has become my home and any thoughts about my life in the UK are more nostalgic and from an era that no longer exists.

I have become part of the Canadian culture as have my wife, children, grandchildren and great grandchidren. I am both Canadiian and British but Canada is my home.

flbrit59 Jan 25th 2011 9:33 am

Because I can come and go as I please and work for anyone without having to worry about my status. If I want to leave for a decade and live elsewhere then on a whim decide to move back the next day, I can without any immigration issues. Never having to deal with USCIS again for renewals or telling them where I live is a very big motivator as well. Without citizenship there will always be strings attached allowing you to stay in the US which could change at any time. Voting. Option to work jobs that require US citizenship.

Those things were big factors for me too....not having to have any contact/involvement with the USCIS ever again is priceless ! :)

I'd most likely never have taken US citizenship though if it meant having to give up my British citizenship..that would have been too much of a price to pay.