Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Do People Take US Citizenship?

A great question.

My first consideration before applying for US citizenship was that I could keep my existing citizenships. If I'd had to give up any of them to become a US citizen, then I'm not sure that I would have done it.

The catalyst for me was an incident that occurred when I tried to return to the US after a business trip to Canada when I was was still a permanent resident ("green card" holder). I was stopped by US immigration at Toronto's Pearson airport (you can clear US immigration there instead of in the US). That's when I discovered that my name (not me personally) was on a "watch list". Luckily I got to the airport very early but I still almost missed my flight while they detained me for 3 hours for a background check by some government agency in Washington, DC (which ironically is where I was trying to get to). This is when it dawned on me that permanent residents have no automatic right of entry to the US - only US citizens can't be denied entry.

On the bright side, someone told me later that this incident had probably shaved months off my US citizenship application because the background check had to be done urgently at the Toronto airport to allow me to board my flight. Apparently there was a wait of many months for anyone who needed a similar check as part of their US citizenship application. I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of this theory though.

My main reasons for becoming a US citizen were:
- don't need to renew (or worry about losing) permanent resident status
- freedom to re-enter the country at any time (even after extended periods abroad)
- automatic granting of US citizenship to my 3 non-citizen children and the same freedom of movement for them for the rest of their lives (a 4th child was born in the US and so was a US citizen already).

I'm really glad now because it looks like my oldest daughter is going to attend university in Canada later this year. We now don't have to worry about her ability to move freely between Canada and the US (she was born in Canada and so now has citizenship of both countries).

There are other benefits to becoming a US citizen. Voting in elections is an important right - but I also look upon it as my civic duty to be informed of the issues and vote. Some people mentioned to me that I would have the ability to apply for jobs open only to US citizens - but the reality is that the holding of multiple citizenships can close the door on many of those jobs anyway. Another advantage is that you can't be deported if you get into legal trouble - I've heard stories of "aliens" being deported (or refused entry) due to things like DUI convictions.

Obviously one disadvantage of US citizenship is potentially having to file US tax returns every year for the rest of my life - regardless of where I live in the world. Another is the possibility of being called for jury service - which happened to me last year although I wasn't selected from the jury pool. Jury service is a civic duty that I will perform if called upon but I can't say that it's something I particularly want to do.

So there are pros and cons of taking US citizenship and much depends on your own views and situation. I think the automatic (and zero cost!) granting of US citizenship to the minor children of parents who naturalize is a big plus and something the kids will likely be thankful for later. Remember also that becoming a US citizen does not cause you to lose your UK citizenship.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Because I can come and go as I please and work for anyone without having to worry about my status. If I want to leave for a decade and live elsewhere then on a whim decide to move back the next day, I can without any immigration issues. Never having to deal with USCIS again for renewals or telling them where I live is a very big motivator as well. Without citizenship there will always be strings attached allowing you to stay in the US which could change at any time. Voting. Option to work jobs that require US citizenship.

I don't know about other people but citizenship of any country doesn't define who you are or what you are proud of. Just because you take citizenship of another country it doesn't mean that your life up to that point is void and you have to think differently.
Same for me as Duncan, plus I have a daughter from a previous relationship, she automatically gets citizenship if I naturalized before she was 18. I wanted to get it for her so she had dual citizenship like her brothers and especially before college so she was able to get some grants etc not offered to non citizens.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Good question!

I have to be honest and say I probably did mine more out of convenience than anything else. It means I can stay here no matter what rule changes they bring in to affect PRs, my wife is no longer tied to her I-864 obligations and if I ever have to go back to the UK for an extended time I won't have to worry about not getting back into the US again. The reality is that I'd never have done it if I wasn't married to one, since she is the only reason I am here in the first place

It's also nice never to have to fill in another form and write another cheque to USCIS as well.

I still refer to myself as British though, can't quite break that habit
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies so far. Very interesting reading!!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Two words : Sarah Palin

I cannot with good conscience stand idly by and not have the opportunity to vote against her and her ilk.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I cannot with good conscience stand idly by and not have the opportunity to vote against her and her ilk.
Brilliant

I consider that more a bonus though, rather than the reason I did it. A reward, if you will
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If she ever becomes President, I would seriously consider leaving the country. It was bad enough that the US was an international laughing stock for electing George W. twice - but electing Palin would be a new low in my opinion.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Having lived in the USA since 1964 and having been back to England on several vacations, it became obvious to us that we would never return to England to live and so we decided then to apply for US citizenship.
Bod Bless the USA
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Because I can come and go as I please and work for anyone without having to worry about my status. If I want to leave for a decade and live elsewhere then on a whim decide to move back the next day, I can without any immigration issues. Never having to deal with USCIS again for renewals or telling them where I live is a very big motivator as well. Without citizenship there will always be strings attached allowing you to stay in the US which could change at any time. Voting. Option to work jobs that require US citizenship.
This, in a nutshell.

I think the more pertinent question is more "Why do People Not Take US Citizenship"? The jury duty and endless tax returns are only a small price to pay, IMO.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:49 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

thats made up my mind for me to then
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dan725
This, in a nutshell.

I think the more pertinent question is more "Why do People Not Take US Citizenship"? The jury duty and endless tax returns are only a small price to pay, IMO.
Although there are some parts of the world where a US passport isn't exactly a Wonka Golden Ticket. A UK passport might be a bit better. A Canadian or Irish passport, better still.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Although there are some parts of the world where a US passport isn't exactly a Wonka Golden Ticket. A UK passport might be a bit better. A Canadian or Irish passport, better still.
But when you can have both (or really all of those passports) that's not really a consideration.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot understand why anyone would object to jury duty. At least this crowd here. You are all working, paying taxes, some of you may be a victim to crime while in the US and yet if you are a USC you object to jury duty. Hey you aren't alone. Many USC's feel the same way.

I don't consider it a hardship but a privilege and my duty as a member of society to perform my duty as a citizen in the efforts to provide a fair jury for the determination of who is a criminal and some type of vindication for the victim of that crime.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't consider it a hardship but a privilege
I do as well. I'm always bummed when I see all the people who aren't citizens getting the notice! Although, I'm not sure if I would be selected even if I was called.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I cannot understand why anyone would object to jury duty. At least this crowd here. You are all working, paying taxes, some of you may be a victim to crime while in the US and yet if you are a USC you object to jury duty. Hey you aren't alone. Many USC's feel the same way.

I don't consider it a hardship but a privilege and my duty as a member of society to perform my duty as a citizen in the efforts to provide a fair jury for the determination of who is a criminal and some type of vindication for the victim of that crime.
I have to report Monday and it's criminal court (totally awesome) but they won't pick me. They never do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.